Ren'Py for Android discontinued?

GLM4475

The title is quite self-explanatory. I wonder if Ren'Py for android's development is discontinued. If it really is, it's quite unfortunate for some people prefer playing VNs on their smart phones/tabs.

Ren'Py is a quite popular engine for VN making and android is the most popular OS for smart phones/tabs. Given how Ren'Py VNs system requirements are not very demanding, it's a great experience to play them on smart phones/tabs.

Even though some problems often occur during porting them to android or when playing them, some of these problems's solutions have been found. The easy example is Katawa Shoujo port (http://pastebin.com/ZyRkVY5W). It can even play videos now. Some problems still do occur for some people playing it, but overall it works fine on android. 

Why exactly are you thinking their dev is halted, lol? I see no such indications and the maintainer appears to be the same person that does the main Ren'py builds.

Oh, really? Then maybe I get the wrong idea? I see this site: http://www.renpy.org/dl/android mentioning that RenPyforAndroid-6.13.7.1-release.apk (released on 19-Oct-2011 02:04) as the last version available to download. If the development is still continued, where can I get the latest APK?

Oh, really? Then maybe I get the wrong idea? I see this site: http://www.renpy.org/dl/android mentioning that RenPyforAndroid-6.13.7.1-release.apk (released on 19-Oct-2011 02:04) as the last version available to download. If the development is still continued, where can I get the latest APK?

you dont understand, the code for android is under Open source and that goes double for renpy. so its impossible for it to be discontinued because people can always pick it up.

Android support became an integral part of Ren'Py. At the moment, devs can build android packages for their games straight from the launcher. Download the latest stable version and check it out for yourself; you can build a package out from one of the samples included within the launcher.

I'm sorry I'm rather dumb about building Ren'Py android package thingies. Can you give me an easy-to-understand explanation about the "package" and "launcher" you mentioned? Is the "package" or "launcher" the same with the apk I could download from this site:http://www.renpy.org/dl/android? I want to try checking Ren'Py VNs on my phone. I know hot to get the files from the rpa though.

Basically, these days if you make an Android build, using RAPT, for a Ren'py VN, that can be just installed as a normal Android app using the .apk created. There's no need to download a separate program to run them... if you want to run Ren'py VNs that don't have an android version available right now though, I don't know. If you want to just try out a random Android VN on your phone, be aware that there are a decent few free ones up on the play store already.

Basically, these days if you make an Android build, using RAPT, for a Ren'py VN, that can be just installed as a normal Android app using the .apk created. There's no need to download a separate program to run them... if you want to run Ren'py VNs that don't have an android version available right now though, I don't know. If you want to just try out a random Android VN on your phone, be aware that there are a decent few free ones up on the play store already.

Ah, this clears up the matter. Basically I'm asking about the "separate program to run Ren'Py VNs on android" not building a Ren'Py VN for android. Can you mention those decent free softwares?

Ah, this clears up the matter. Basically I'm asking about the "separate program to run Ren'Py VNs on android" not building a Ren'Py VN for android. Can you mention those decent free softwares?

Believe it or not, just searching for "visual novel" in the play store is fairly effective. I like Sepia Tears myself. I wouldn't say there's antyhing great around though.

none, renpy is python and not many users havent gotten time to mix it with android or IOS (thank pytom for build both on renpy). there are problems with mixing python and android, the first comes as google keeps updating the version which may make certain VN not work because users use .vog  .ogg and mp4 video format. if that's not much to worry about special effects like cherry tree pales might not even appear or lack something (phones have yet to support ATL). lastly because most renpy games were made in mind for the PC, the RPG, adventure roam, and action scene events will not work well for android.

you are free to build it but i dont recommend it.

Believe it or not, just searching for "visual novel" in the play store is fairly effective. I like Sepia Tears myself. I wouldn't say there's antyhing great around though.

I've just done it, and damn! What's with all these "Shall we date" things?

Shall%252520we%252520date.png