Ever finished a VN without stopping?

Mikimir

I finished Ley Line 1 and Kono Oozora in non-stop

started saturday early in the morning, pulled a one-nighter and then finished it sunday night

I use to do it when friday and/or monday is holiday.

And Im pratically doing the same for Ley Line 2〜3 now,

as it is Golden Week over here >-<;

I either dont feel like sleeping,

or im just too sleepy to move, turn all the thing off and prepare the bed,

so I keep on reading and listening in a tranquil mood for hours.

That is nuts. KonoSora is ridiculously long. I think it took me well over a month.

That is nuts. KonoSora is ridiculously long. I think it took me well over a month.

Nah, the first game is about 30〜40 hours,

but you can make it in 〜20h if you skip fillers (that being obvious, you can tell the dialogues and progression as soon as you start the scene),

and skip H-scenes. It also depends on ones reading speed.

After playing lots of VNs and learning its patterns, you get to the point you can tell what is worth reading and what is blablabla,

and you can take less time for meaningful content (which is the only thing will remain on your memory anyway).

Besides, the Ageha route was the easiest to do that.

Its not like you skip the entire thing and get nothing of it,

but more like a technique in which you identify the pace and mood and know what to listen, what to only read (voice skip),

and whether what the character is thinking is important or not.

Also, many lines are written to explain something you already saw or somebody already told you, so I quickly advance through it.

Of course, I keep it in auto-mode and pay attention to each line when its a climax/true-end scene, or something that will really aggregate to my knowledge of the series.

The rest is about reading techniques, like spatial reading (reading just few words of an entire frame and grasping the entire meaning),

and photo-reading.

In the end, we dont need to invest that much time to enjoy a game to its fullest.

Besides, KEYs visual novels are the most difficult to do that, because most of the content is really fun (fun fillers),

but then that is a good thing.

Some recent stuff from 2014 however, not much >-<

KosakiFag

I don't think I'd like skipping anything from a visual novel.

Rather, filler scenes are something I enjoy, so I can't skip that. H-scenes, well, stuff.

Anyway, I'd like to experience it fully, not only the important parts, which is why I can't agree much with you. </3 

kamiwakai

Besides, KEYs visual novels are the most difficult to do that, because most of the content is really fun (fun fillers),

As I said, there are some titles I cant just skip, because even the filler is a lot of fun.

However, for many other titles, its not worth, so I save my precious time for other works that better deserve my attention, like Clannad ;)

Well, judging from your VN list, you played some classic hits like Fate and Higurashi,

so I can understand why you dont like skipping. Some works are just too good to skip even a line.

But then again, it depends on what you play, how much time you have, mood, etc.

So people choose whats best for them.

I just see many vn gamers complaining that its all too long and boring,

while there are many ways to save our time (while still retaining the content) and kill the boredom that makes the process less fun.

We all know there are many fillers that are badly written and are just a waste.

@KosakiFag

Yeah, i joined last week.

Nice to meet ya.

@Kiriririri

Mainly Ageha route is a big waste, but I can understand as the purpose is fan service.

But I loved the other routes (Amane being my favorite), and the concept of the game itself.

Also backgrounds are outstanding and vivid.

But when all the characters hang out together, it gets really annoying.

It has good examples of bad written fillers that dont respect your time.

Nah, the first game is about 30〜40 hours,

but you can make it in 〜20h if you skip fillers (that being obvious, you can tell the dialogues and progression as soon as you start the scene),

and skip H-scenes. It also depends on ones reading speed.

After playing lots of VNs and learning its patterns, you get to the point you can tell what is worth reading and what is blablabla,

and you can take less time for meaningful content (which is the only thing will remain on your memory anyway).

Besides, the Ageha route was the easiest to do that.

Its not like you skip the entire thing and get nothing of it,

but more like a technique in which you identify the pace and mood and know what to listen, what to only read (voice skip),

and whether what the character is thinking is important or not.

Also, many lines are written to explain something you already saw or somebody already told you, so I quickly advance through it.

Of course, I keep it in auto-mode and pay attention to each line when its a climax/true-end scene, or something that will really aggregate to my knowledge of the series.

The rest is about reading techniques, like spatial reading (reading just few words of an entire frame and grasping the entire meaning),

and photo-reading.

In the end, we dont need to invest that much time to enjoy a game to its fullest.

Some recent stuff from 2014 however, not much >-<

Did you actually skip even voice-acted "filler" lines the first time through? I don't think I could make myself do that. Character voices are quite important to me (maybe even more so than a character's art), so if a main character is speaking a line, I'm practically guaranteed to listen to it. This tendency probably accounts for the vast majority of my time playing voiced VNs - hearing a line spoken is waaaay slower than reading it.

I will, of course, skip common elements on subsequent playthroughs, though with VNs with more complex stories (particularly good example: Rewrite) I usually try to fully listen to and read every line at least twice, just to make sure I see all the little hints that are dropped that only make sense on later playthroughs.

Yes, after playing some VNs and watching tons of animes, you just get too used to their voices and what they are supposed to say.

There were times I did mute some character voices because they were annoying and their filler scenes were just too long to listen through

(as you said, listening takes a lot more time than reading).

And I am mixing terminologies here.

I say "skip" but the more appropriate term would be "speed reading".