VNDB API

Permagate

First time I've heard about that API. Never really worked with anything like that xD

Spent my whole afternoon trying to figure out how to access that API in android (took so long because I'm an idiot that keeps forgetting to flush the requests -.-).

So basically what I meant is that I don't know any app that makes use of that API, though I can possibly make an app for android if you want. I can possibly make one for windows (computer not windows phone, though probably that one too...) too if needed. So basically if there's people interested I might work on it.

First I've heard of it, but this kind of thing is my bag, so while I was marathoning Big Windup this evening I hacked together a quick C# library / console app that can make requests and print out the responses. You should be able to clone my source code here: https://github.com/FredTheBarber/VndbClient.

If you have feature requests, let me know, but in particular I'm unlikely to add a UI, because that is not my bag. Feel free to fork and do whatever you want with it, though (including a UI if you are so inclined), and if you want your contribution to go back to the main project you can send a pull request to me, I guess? I don't really know how to github, but if someone is inexplicably actually motivated enough to submit something to this project, I'll try to figure out how to do that whole thing. I'll warn you that I'm a vicious code reviewer, though, so no cutting corners :D

First time I've heard about that API. Never really worked with anything like that xD

Spent my whole afternoon trying to figure out how to access that API in android (took so long because I'm an idiot that keeps forgetting to flush the requests -.-).

So basically what I meant is that I don't know any app that makes use of that API, though I can possibly make an app for android if you want. I can possibly make one for windows (computer not windows phone, though probably that one too...) too if needed. So basically if there's people interested I might work on it.

Hmm, you don't have to. I'm just interested in any current implementation, for learning purpose :sachi:

First I've heard of it, but this kind of thing is my bag, so while I was marathoning Big Windup this evening I hacked together a quick C# library / console app that can make requests and print out the responses. You should be able to clone my source code here: https://github.com/FredTheBarber/VndbClient.

If you have feature requests, let me know, but in particular I'm unlikely to add a UI, because that is not my bag. Feel free to fork and do whatever you want with it, though (including a UI if you are so inclined), and if you want your contribution to go back to the main project you can send a pull request to me, I guess? I don't really know how to github, but if someone is inexplicably actually motivated enough to submit something to this project, I'll try to figure out how to do that whole thing. I'll warn you that I'm a vicious code reviewer, though, so no cutting corners :D

Nice! I added your app to the OP post. It's been years since I had Visual Studio installed, so I just took a quick look of your code. Can you provide me an executable (for 64-bit machine)?

For login, you can always use a dummy account. Or just prompt the user for username and password when initiating the session.

Or maybe I should install VS again, but my bandwidth is not that good at the moment :amane:

Nice! I added your app to the OP post. It's been years since I had Visual Studio installed, so I just took a quick look of your code. Can you provide me an executable (for 64-bit machine)?

For login, you can always use a dummy account. Or just prompt the user for username and password when initiating the session.

Or maybe I should install VS again, but my bandwidth is not that good at the moment :amane:

I built a release binary and put it here: https://github.com/FredTheBarber/VndbClient/raw/master/Releases/0.1/VndbClient.exe

Also, I found VNDB has a forum page for discussion of the API, including a bunch of posts from people who have made various libraries for it in a variety of languages: https://vndb.org/t3599.

For the login thing, you're misunderstanding the problem I have with the API's username/password login: the API itself is totally insecure. Unless you want anybody running wireshark to know your VNDB username/password whenever you connect to the VNDB API on Starbucks wi-fi, you should never use the API's login feature. The protocol doesn't support SSL, and it doesn't even do anything intelligent with the password like implement a challenge/response protocol - it demands you pass the raw username and password in cleartext.

Note that username/password is optional - it's only required for running commands targeting your own user (get and set on "votelist", "vnlist", and "wishlist"), so you can still run all the other commands (get vn, get character, etc.,). Since I don't want to enable people to disclose their usernames/passwords, I intentionally didn't support that feature.

I posted up a question to the VNDB message board requesting SSL support. If they provide it, I'll happily change my code to connect to the SSL-protected port and add support for optional login with a provided username/password.