Fate/Extra and Fate/Extra CCC discussion

crunchytaco

I've been downloading and testing all different types of games for my tablet.

The one I'm most excited to try is Fate/Extra on a PSP emulator. I want to see what this Red Saber is that so many Saber fan boys have claimed to have converted to.

Then we have Fate/Extra CCC which is in translation progress

https://gbatemp.net/threads/in-progress-fate-extra-ccc-translation-project.366533/

Has anyone played them?

I own Fate/Extra because my Fate fangirl is hard to stop. Finished it with Saber, near the last boss with Archer, saved Caster for last. It's hard to dispute the fact that it's glorified rock-paper-scissors which requires quite a bit of level grinding to be comfortable with the bosses.... But it's pretty fun in its own way. Archer's path is full of references to Fate/Stay Night which are great! The characters in general are cool, over-the-top.The music is pretty great, too. Especially the noble phantasm music for the player's servants. Those are my general opinions. I'll think better later maybe.

Why would you look up enemy patterns?

Anyway, I played Fate/Extra back then, and I'm playing it again right now.

Well, actually, it's Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua > Forest > Fate/Extra in terms of priorities.

I'm nearing completion of Realta Nua anyway.

So the thing is, it's basically rock-paper-scissors.

The exciting part is in beating other Servants.

If you were also interested in how things worked in F/SN, then the way things work in Fate/Extra will interest you as well.

Also, the main difference between Red Saber and Arturia are the way they dress and their boobs.

Yep. Boobs.

Red Saber is awesome, Red Saber best Saber. And for a first playthrough, she's the best choice, as she's the strongest of the three, and not knowing the enemy patterns at first won't hurt you so much.

Anyway, about the game itself, I liked it. Plot's pretty good for a tournament setting, although there were some inconsistencies, and the antagonist's motivations wasn't that great and is actually a simplification of a point that could have been explored way more in-depth. But it's fun. Gameplay's not really that good, gets pretty repetitive after a while. But Red Saber makes it worth it.

Red Saber is awesome, Red Saber best Saber. And for a first playthrough, she's the best choice, as she's the strongest of the three, and not knowing the enemy patterns at first won't hurt you so much.

Anyway, about the game itself, I liked it. Plot's pretty good for a tournament setting, although there were some inconsistencies, and the antagonist's motivations wasn't that great and is actually a simplification of a point that could have been explored way more in-depth. But it's fun. Gameplay's not really that good, gets pretty repetitive after a while. But Red Saber makes it worth it.

Inconsistent? In what way?

When does the action start? When do you get to pick servants? I haven't had much time to play a lot, but I've been doing nothing but exploring the school building so far. 

That part should last for like 30 minutes, then you get to pick servants

About inconsistencies...

Off the top of my head, Nero was a tyrant, but at the same time all about the rabu, what? Dan Blakemore as a character doesn't make any sense and uses the divine right concept wrong, Rin's terrorist beliefs don't make sense, hell, why's she a terrorist anyway? And where the hell is Leo from? How come sometimes items get deleted from the arena but magically in chapter 7 (I think?) Leo's brother feathers remained. And saving either one of Rin/Rani was a huge asspull by Nasu.

When does the action start? When do you get to pick servants? I haven't had much time to play a lot, but I've been doing nothing but exploring the school building so far. 

Explore and explore baby.

I think you finished that part by now though.

About inconsistencies...

Off the top of my head, Nero was a tyrant, but at the same time all about the rabu, what? Dan Blakemore as a character doesn't make any sense and uses the divine right concept wrong, Rin's terrorist beliefs don't make sense, hell, why's she a terrorist anyway? And where the hell is Leo from? How come sometimes items get deleted from the arena but magically in chapter 7 (I think?) Leo's brother feathers remained. And saving either one of Rin/Rani was a huge asspull by Nasu.

That rabu rabu... I think it was inconsistent in your view because Nero was, well, quite insane. He would do things that would be considered very brutal. It's consistent in the fact that Nero loves the arts though. Theater, music, paintings, and a lot of other things are what Nero considers beautiful. I could always do an assumption that the rabu rabu thing is something that Nero considers beautiful as well, but was unable to partake in it due to the people who should be receiving his love rebelling against him, making him take action against them. Or it may also be related to how Nero wasn't able to show this love to the people due to being branded as insane. Or something else. I'm not sure. I'm just pulling things from my memory.

I don't get what you mean by 'divine right'. Something about the throne, but I don't get the relation.

She's a terrorist in a world that's being threatened by falling under the control of the Harway Family, as far as I'm concerned. She's acting according to her beliefs, and a part of this belief is something that is not fulfilled by letting the Harways gain control of the world by their growing influence. Thus, she joined the Holy Grail War to prevent the Harways from getting control of the Holy Grail, which would give them supremacy. I think that's Rin's reason for going as far as being branded as a terrorist.

Leo is from the Harway group of families in that alternate world. The Harway family is a family of great influence, which has great power in the world. They control some events that unfold in that world, which contribute to the growth of their power. They promise prosperity, if ever they are given power to rule. I think that's it. If that's not it, then I don't know what you mean.

That's added... drama?

I don't remember. I'm playing through it again.

There's always a huge asspull. Quite important in the development of the story, heh.

Besides, you need their help.

Thank you, I finally received my Saber servant. I can see how this battle system is just complete crap. Definitely just want this game for the story. I'm so curious about this haughty Saber which makes people like her. She doesn't have the same mysterious and imposing air as Blue Saber. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really, really hated normal saber (blue one). I was all excited when she went "I'll be your sword", but damn, the girl doesn't know how to follow orders. And the #lolprideandmorality is pretty annoying too. Shirou partially takes the blame, but she wasn't much better as Kiritsugu's servant. If you're going to be a sword you kill your enemies without asking, not preach to the person wielding you. 

Red saber is much easier to deal with, though I still don't like it when people other than me act haughty :P

She's a fun character. 

The best servant in this game is caster, no doubt. She's the weakest when it comes to combat, but her personality is great.

Also, for the main heroines, I'd pick Rani over Rin any time of the day~