Shin Sekai Quiz - Feedback required!

Rose

Shin Sekai Quiz

wiiR81d.png

Greetings and salutations! I am Rose, and this time I'm bringing you guys a quiz game. I'll admit it, the rules are a bit complicated at first but I made a video explaining basically everything that I managed to, it'll be on the end of my post for those who get confused. I'll apologize right now for both my voice and pronunciation during the video. I am a bit sick and my throat hurts quite a bit so I butchered lots of words there, I hope you understand.

Before anything, I'll be asking you guys for feedback. This is still a project, as this is not the kind of game you just sign up, we play and it's done. In theory, this is a 24/7 ongoing game where not only me and my "staff" are going to be making the questions, but you guys are also responsible of doing so. I'll be frank, I don't think this game will work unless at least around 15-20 members are up for it, so it's extremely important that I get your guys thoughts. You like the idea and will be participating? Do you have anything you're not satisfied with? Please, make a reply here and elaborate about it!

As you read the rules, you'll come across a certain role on the game, which is the "Fixed Quizzer" one. These guys are responsible for keeping an eye out if people are following the rules, if there's nothing wrong with the scores and all that kind of stuff. Also, they're allowed to quiz whenever they want or are asked to do so, feel free to abuse of them in any way you can imagine. However, there's a limit to how many quizzes they can make daily. Including me, the team consists of the following members:

• OriginalRen
  • Krill
  • CruelN1N1
  • Babiker

My wish is not only to make an activity for everyone to participate, but I hope that with this, people become interested on different novels, as well as promoting lesser known ones and OELVNs  by doing event quizzes where points might be double, tripled or even more. Who knows? I might even make quiz events or events based on the scoreboard with VN copies as the prize, but this is only an idea that's extremely far from coming to light. 

Now, without further ado, these are the Shin Sekai Quiz rules:

A. The Quiz

1 - The quiz will work with a limit of 10 questions, however, if two or more participants get tied scores, there will be a tie-breaker question which won’t be accounted as a point. The one who wins the tie breaker will be considered the winner and will get +5 points. These extra points are not exclusively to winners of tie-breakers, whoever wins a round will get them.

2 - The winner of the previous quiz becomes then next quizzer. He will have a 12 hours limit to make the next one, otherwise he’ll have 5 points subtracted from his total score as well as losing all the points he got from the last round.

3 - The quiz can only start with at least 3 members participating.

4 - The maximum duration for a round is 12 hours, each question can only be kept active for one hour. Once the one hour limit is reached, the question is to be canceled and a new one to be made in its place.

5 - When starting the quiz, the quizzer must decide which visual novel will be used and inform it. If necessary, the quizzer may change the chosen novel so the minimum number of participants is reached or to make it so that more members will be allowed to participate. In case the following possibility arise, the quizzer is forced to change the novel so more people get to join the game, otherwise, he’s to maintain his first option. The priority is that the maximum possible number of players is reached every time.

6 - The last reply of each participant is considered to be their answer to the question. The participants are free to answer how many times they wish to, but in case they get the right one in the first try, but before the quizzer is able to update the score, decide to try a different answer which happens to be wrong, his previous one will be nullified. When this happens, the quizzer is to announce that someone got the right one but nullified it, this without announcing who did it.

7 - Once the right answer is given, the quizzer has to announce who got it and update the score like the following model:

xxxxx scored

xxxxx - 6+5 (Once someone gets enough points to win or wins a tier-breaker, put the +5 for a better control)

NEXT

8 - Before going for the next question, the quizzer must make a reply with the word "NEXT" in it, this way people won't be gotten by surprise with the question.

9 - The quizzer will only not be penalized in the following cases:

9.1 – After at least two tries with at least one hour of difference from each, he’s unable to start a new quiz due to not enough participants being present.

9.2 – No participant knows any visual novel in common with the quizzer – The rule 9.1 will still apply in this case, meaning that even if no VNs are shared in common at the first try, the quizzer still must try to start a quiz at least once again during another time in his 12 hours limit.

10 - In case the quizzer knows before-hand that he won’t be able to do it during the following 12 hours, he may ask for a fixed quizzer to do it for him, although it will cost him half the points he got in the last round. If his score was odd, he’ll lose the bigger half part from the last round. In both cases, the quizzer will also lose his +5 from the win.

11 - Fixed quizzers can make a quiz at any given time, as long as the minimum participant quantity is reached. These will be called bonus quizzes and there’ll be a limit of two per day. Those rounds will count to the total score and must be updated with a note notifying it was a bonus one. In addition, they won’t make the winner become the next quizzer.

12 - In case the 12 hours limit is over and the last quizzer haven't started it, any of the fixed quizzers are allowed to start a new round, in this case, the winner will officially become the next quizzer.

13 - A visual novel can only be used once every four rounds. Ex: Cross Channel is used in the Quiz #10, therefore it can only be used again from Quiz #14 onward.

14 - It will be allowed for a novel to be used twice in a row if the rule 5 demands the quizzer to do so. In case the necessity arises for a novel to be used for the third time in a row, the quizzer is to choose between:
  • Renouncing his position, thus making it so only a fixed quizzer may start the next round – It’s to be remembered that in this case, the quizzer won’t be penalized.
  • Calling for a five hours extension to his time limit, making it possible for more tries to start a new round. Once those five hours limit is reached, the quizzer will automatically lose his right and the first option will be applied. However, if a five hours extension is called but the quizzer does not try to quiz at least once during them, he’ll be punished by following rule A.2.

15 - If due to any of the rules above there is no quizzer for the round, then a fixed quizzer has to start a new round. A fixed quizzer is allowed under the previous circumstance to make a round whose duration limit will be of 24 hours, each question may then be kept active for two hours.

B. The Questions

1 - Questions that may involve other novels are allowed in case of crossovers or shared characters, as long as it remains mainly related to the primary novel.

2 - Questions that involve the artists behind the ost/art are allowed, as well as questions regarding the staff behind the development of the whole novel, this includes animators, designers, directors and any other roles.

3 - Questions regarding quotations are allowed as long as it’s not an extremely vague one. However, if given the context the vague quote ends up being possible to identify, it’ll be allowed.

4 - As long as the rules above are followed, any other kind of question is allowed.

5 - After the question is made, the participants may ask for a hint every 15 minutes, to a maximum of 3 hints per question.

C. The Scoreboard

1 - After each round, the scoreboard must be updated by the quizzer with a time limit of ten minutes. The next round can only start after it’s updated. In case the quizzer fails to update it in the time limit, he will be penalized by losing two points out of his total score. If this happens, a fixed quizzer is to update the scoreboard in his place, not forgetting to take out the two points out of his score.

2 - Only the round quizzer and the fixed quizzers are allowed to update the scoreboard. Any errors in the scores are to be reported to a fixed quizzer so it may be corrected.

3 - The format in which the scoreboard will be updated is the following:

Quiz #10 – Grisaia no Kajitsu (Round number and name of the used novel)

Rose – 3 (This is the number of right questions/points obtained by the participant in this round)

Krill – 4+5 (The winner will be in bold so that in case a tie happens, we can have a better control of who’s the next quizzer. Even in case the winner has a point of difference, it must still be in bold for the sake of maintaining the pattern)

OriginalRen – 3

Total Score

1) Rose – 160

2) Krill – 159

3) Babiker – 135

4) OriginalRen – 129

5) CruelN1N1 – 120

4 - The ones who scored in this round must be updated and marked in bold for easier reference when checking scores.

Quiz #11 – Cross Channel!

Krill – 6+5

CruelN1N1 – 2

Babiker – 1

Total Score

1) Krill – 170

2) Rose – 160

3) Babiker – 136

4) OriginalRen – 129

5) CruelN1N1 – 122

5 - In case a member score surpasses someone above him, his position in the board is to be raised until his deserved place

6 - A bonus quiz must be updated as “Quiz #XX – XXXXXX – Bonus”, in order to maintain a better control of those.  

I came in expecting a quizz related to Shin Sekai Yori. I am now disappoint. =(

My wish is not only to make an activity for everyone to participate, but I hope that with this, people become interested on different novels, as well as promoting lesser known ones and OELVNs

Good idea. I approve =o

I'll re-read the rules later (I guess some stuff changed since your first draft?) and try to provide feedback.

I came in expecting a quizz related to Shin Sekai Yori. I am now disappoint. =(

Good idea. I approve =o

I'll re-read the rules later (I guess some stuff changed since your first draft?) and try to provide feedback.

I just wanted a good sounding name, sorry. ):

Yeah, I polished them a bit and also rewrote some stuff to make them easier to understand.

I... think I'm up for this. Actually this sounds really interesting and I would love to see some lesser-known vns in here. I haven't read all the nitty gritty rules yet, but the hints thing seems like a mess waiting to happen

I tried giving a limit, as infinite hints could end up making the questions too easy. 

Either way, I guess people weren't really interested in it. I might still use it for some stuff I'm thinking but I'll have to make a complete rework on some of the rules. Either way, thanks everyone who gave me feedback and helped me so far, I'm really grateful! I'll be putting this on hold for now, probably gonna turn it into something else.

I forgot to give that feedback I said I would =( Sorry.

My opinion is still p much the same: I don't see a problem with the rules or the concept, but the fact that it stretches onto potentially 12 hours straight seems too long to me.

However you mentioned (I think) the possibility of turning it into a Skype/text chat game: I think that might be the right direction to take. It makes it much more immediate and convenient, I've seen that kind of quizz before (you can even automate the process with a bot in IRC for example).

I love trivia bots. The best is when you score points for correct answers and they keep record of fastest answers and highest points etc. That's probably not a thing for Skype though. Sad day

Actually helpful comment: what I meant earlier was that hints are very troublesome for some people because they require you to always pay attention to your quiz.