Friendships through visual novels

InvertMouse

Totally agree with what Clephas said. I've always been into things that my family and friends frown upon, such as VNs and LNs. So that's probably why I find that the people I meet online are nicer people, and much more intelligent too. When trying to discuss something with my friends IRL, they're always quick to judge things and will never look at what's beneath the surface.

I did try to get my friends into VNs, but of course it didn't turn out well. They find it to be utterly boring to just read hours of text and more text. It was actually expected, as they're the type of people that think SAO is the best thing ever and Clannad is boring cause there's no action involved. And please do share more of your experience. As you said, it's always cool to read about those.

D: I think you're talking about me.. lol.

Thank you :D! Yeah, I get the gloomy storekeeper thing. I found that the otaku shopkeepers in Hong Kong tended to know what they are talking about. Also, once you get a conversation going, they are really passionate, so I had a great time there.

The anime store I went into, the person didn't even bother saying hi, just sat and used the computer. The shop was eerily quiet. ^^;

InvertMouse, you share very nice stories :) I enjoy reading them.

D: I think you're talking about me.. lol.

The anime store I went into, the person didn't even bother saying hi, just sat and used the computer. The shop was eerily quiet. ^^;

InvertMouse, you share very nice stories :) I enjoy reading them.

Thanks! I'm glad you guys enjoyed them :).

• 2 weeks later...

I am back and would like to share another story with you guys :)!

During my last Hong Kong trip, I stumbled upon several shops that sold anime trading cards. It excited me to found some from ONE ~Kagayaku Kisetsu e~. That happens to be one of my favorite all time visual novels. In particular, there were a few Kawana Misaki cards that I have wanted for quite a while. It looked to me like Hong Kong would give me a pretty good chance of finding it, so I started asking around.

Unfortunately, even though Hong Kong had a wide trading cards selection, the cards I wanted really were in too little demand. I had no luck with finding it. Just as I was about to leave the final shop, I figured I might as well give it a go and ask the shopkeeper. He said something like, "Oh, I just help run this little shop. My teacher's shop is further up the road. Maybe he can help you. Here's a card with the address."

I followed the address written on the card and walked into a building with nothing but medical centers. Surely, I had walked into the wrong building. I might as well check out the floor indicated on the card, though. To my surprise, there was the shop, surrounding by yet more medical centers.

Outside of Akihabara, this had to be one of the most impressive anime trading card shops. On the wall was a board filled with signed cards, some printed, others by hand. Behind the counter were many pencil boards. A few were hand signed by actresses and producers from Key's works, such as Clannad and Kanon.

Turned out the shopkeeper was a big fan of visual novels, Key in particular. He boasted about how he bought all the DVDs of that old Kanon adaptation even though he hated it, etc. It was the same situation as my previous story. A slight language barrier, but our passion overcame that.

After our chat, I told him about those Kawana Misaki cards. He pulled out folders upon folders of cards from under his desk. It should be in one of them, he said. The fact that he knew Kawana Misaki was really a pleasant surprise.

After a brief search, I found all the cards I was looking for. As I paid the shopkeeper, he thanked me sincerely and bowed. It give me a genuine feeling. I thought, yes, that is the appreciate we should show to our audience. Guys, this happens to be precisely why I often use the m(_ _)m emoticon when I interact with people who kindly check out my games. It is because of this very meeting.

In the end, those trading cards are just several pieces of plastic bulk printed in some place. For me, however, I look at them and have this story to tell. If I never mustered the courage to ask that first shopkeeper, there was no way I would have wondered into a building full of medical centers. Thus, I never would have stumbled into the trading cards shop that was pouring with passion for the medium.

Thanks for reading :)!

Easy enough; Played visual novels > Joined Fuwanovel > Made amazing, irreplaceable friends from all over the world.

But seriously, nobody at school shared my passion for visual novels so I tried to find some other place where I could talk about it. Here I am, and of course, here you are. Now I wake up to alerts from Skype, and follow up in conversations about anime, fetishes, puns, heroines, social commentary, games, news... I go home to friends who are about to sleep, who just woke up, who are staying up late, who are at school, who are at home, or someone else's home, from Canada, US, Australia, England...you name it. I've heard English, Portugese, Spanish, French, Dutch, and all their peculiar accents on voicechat.

I open my phone to a forum where everyone is just as excited talking about japanese culture, animation, manga, cosplay, and of course, visual novels. If you're asking about frienship through visual novels, I've experienced it first hand, and boy am I very lucky for that.

Well, one thing I know is that a few of my friends IRL (and I don't have many friends) have tried VNs before. However, they disliked the experience. It's no that they've never tried them, it's that they're more in line with the COD lovers. That said, they're pretty good people.

I am back and would like to share another story with you guys :)!

Thanks for reading :)!

Your stories... I am lost for words. It sounds like you have such a wonderful life at the moment. So jealous. :P

Sort of...? When I was in high school one of my teammates turned out to be a major anime junkie like myself. We hit it off and watched all kinds of things. Eventually after we watched Fate/Zero, I became so enthralled that I went to read the VN of FSN. This then lead me to discover not only the joys of the VN medium (the FSN VN made the original anime look like garbage), but also that several of the shows we enjoyed watching together were VNs first (Higurashi, Steins;Gate). 

In that respect, I got this friend of mine to read the VNs of the series we liked, however nothing else (although he showed interest in Saya no Uta). So I guess I do have a friend who has read VNs but not a friend who is a fan of VNs... or something like that. As for Fuwa I come here specifically because I enjoy seeing others opinions on VNs, however I don't really interact much, and don't think I'd really call anyone here a friend.

I have absolutely ZERO friends to talk too. It's not that I don't have an interest in making friends I just find it hard to talk to people sometimes(i'm just a little shy)and also there's not much opportunity for me to do so where I am now. Even if I did find some people to get along with I don't know if it would go well. Truth is I live in my own world, not much about 3D things really peaks my interests at all. So I guess I really couldn't get along with someone cause I wouldn't have an interest in things they would like and my passions would most likely not be requited. I keep to myself about my interests so no one knows what I really like. The only ones who know about this are my family although they only have a breif idea about it and don't really look much deeper than just calling it animation.All the things I like and have interest in be it Anime, VNs and other stuff I found on my own so i've been a loner much of my life so my interests are truly my own in my regard.

I guess i'm getting off topic here, this is supposed to be how you made friends through VNs/Anime and here I am blabbering all about my life story so sorry if it seems like i'm whining about myself. Just wanted to share some words, speak out a little more to fix my small talk so feel free listen to me or not.