A Japanese PS Vita

Stray Cat

So I've been saving up for a PS Vita.  I finally have about enough so I decide to start looking at stores and realize that there is no more Borderlands 2 Bundles (I want the new model and this is the only way to get it in the U.S.) within 100 miles of my house.  They have also become so rare that they prices on Amazon and ebay are going above retail prices.  Then I noticed that for a little bit more, I can just import a Japanese model.  I've read that:

• It will play US games just fine
  • Can be used with a US PSN account (only 1 though)
  • Language can be sent to English
  • O and X buttons will be swapped but that's fine
  • Plus I can get colors XD

Has anyone does this? Do you recommend it?  Thought's, warnings, anything I'm missing?

PSVita games (physical) as well as the PSVita itself are region free so you'll have no issue with those.

However non physical games are subject to region locking so you'll need a PSN account of a region that the game allows and that varies from game to game.

Although I read now that the PSN account gets locked onto a specific memory card so this might cause issues if you want 2 PSN accounts.

But basically a Japanese PSVita is the same any other, it all just boils down to the PSN account.

At least from what i've read. ( since I'm also thinking of buying a vita)

PSVita games (physical) as well as the PSVita itself are region free so you'll have no issue with those.

However non physical games are subject to region locking so you'll need a PSN account of a region that the game allows and that varies from game to game.

Although I read now that the PSN account gets locked onto a specific memory card so this might cause issues if you want 2 PSN accounts.

But basically a Japanese PSVita is the same any other, it all just boils down to the PSN account.

At least from what i've read. ( since I'm also thinking of buying a vita)

I've read the same.  You can have two accounts but you'll have to reset the vita every time you want to switch accounts (which is annoying) but it probably won't affect me that much since I only plan on using the US one.  The Gamestop worker even recommended I do this since he said the Japanese ones seemed sturdier to him XD. Plus, colors. :P

Won't the Japanese model be more expensive, though? I'm guessing you will have to import it, which usually means... huzzah, taxes!

Surprisingly no.  It's approximately $230 for one with free (or like five dollars of) shipping on Amazon.   That would be close to the cost of one here with taxes (around $220) so it's not that much of a difference.  The US models prices are now anywhere between $250 and $300 due to shortage.  

• 1 month later...

Quick question on the PS Vita though. The only disadvantage of the Slim one is that they swapped the OLED Screen of the older model with a crappy ass LCD Screen. That, in my books, is some pretty fucked up shit! So I thought of something. Is it possible to purchase a separate OLED PS Vita screen of the old model and fit it instead if the new one?

Quick question on the PS Vita though. The only disadvantage of the Slim one is that they swapped the OLED Screen of the older model with a crappy ass LCD Screen. That, in my books, is some pretty fucked up shit! So I thought of something. Is it possible to purchase a separate OLED PS Vita screen of the old model and fit it instead if the new one?

I have no idea on the engineering aspect but I"m pretty sure they screen sizes are different which would mean that they wouldn't fit the frame. 

Sounds like a good deal to me. I've been looking into getting a PS Vita myself. 

I just wish technology for handheld battery life has improved more. 

I have no complaints with my Japanese 2000 model.  Battery life is around 6 hours and it fully charges in about 1.5.  Plus, it's just a standard micro-USB cable.