Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai - learn Japanese or watch Anime?

Steve

So many times I've met this VN and the Anime, I even have it downloaded, it looks like something I would like sooo much.

BUT, the anime is 12 episodes and 1 ova = 5 hours... where the VN is 100+ hours, but requires knowing Japanese (no TL in progress or planned)

The problem I'm facing is that I've read somewhere (I think it was post from Aaeru) that this VN is pretty hard to read as in what kanji it uses. I wonder how long in slower pace it would take to know enough Japanese to be able to read this with only little problems (i.e. not having to lookup an unknown Kanji every 5 minutes). By slower pace I mean like learning ~1000 kanji a year + the common words used with those kanji.

Or should I just watch the anime? But its like 20 times shorter :(

Advise me please, experienced people of fuwanovel xD

I haven't played that VN, but I've watched the anime.. Honestly, I still feel although some VN anime adaptations are good, the original VNs are even better as they allow you to get in depth into the story at your own pace.

If the anime follows closely to the VN, I guess it might be plausible to watch the anime first (english subtitled) before hitting on the VN, then when you encounter a familiar scenario you saw from the anime, it would allow you to understand the situation.. Thus you can choose to skip looking up the kanji if you're focusing on completing the VN quickly.

Stay away, is what I would do.

This VN is supposedly a very advanced in that it has multiple writing styles, etc. I would not watch the anime or read the vn before becoming more advanced with the language. As it would be like reading one of the vn's in "what beautiful series" with ATLAS. It would be a waste.

A review by ixrec (He is a well known translator): http://amaterasu.tindabox.net/blog/?p=1605

Also Moogy *Pfff* said something in the lines of: it being a test of a translator to translate it, because you have to sdapt such a elaborate use of language which is almost "impossible"

So, I would play a other vn than this ^^