GfyCat and why it might be the future of GIFs

Kendjin

Trying a website called gfycat.com

Currently the downside you cant really embed them into the page, but there are a couple of examples

Also download

Imagus for chrome and hover over the link

Imagus for firefox too (seamonkey needed for firefox - seamonkey

JadedWholeAnemonecrab-thumb100.jpg

Gif Size: 2M

Gfy Size: 222k
Compression: 11.5 to 1 (Bandwidth saved: 2M)
Views: 1
Original: Gif

edit: to be updated.

TalkativeGlisteningIndianskimmer-thumb10

Gif Size: 8M
Gfy Size: 599k
Compression: 13.6 to 1 (Bandwidth saved: 7M)

LividAjarCoelacanth-thumb100.jpg

Gif Size: 10M
Gfy Size: 2M
Compression: 5.1 to 1 (Bandwidth saved: 8M)

Small FAQ:

Can I upload video or a set of image frames for conversion? 
Yes! You can upload most formats of video (max 15 seconds). We have not implemented uploading of individual frames yet, but stick around.

What is Gfycat? 

Gfycat is gif hosting, with three unique advantages:

Speed - Average is 8 times faster.

Unlimited size - No need to use inferior hosts. Have that 25mb gif you want to share? No problem!

Nifty features - Play in reverse, slo mo, speed up, or pause and analyze frame by frame.

More about Gfycat's service:

Everything link here includes a gif. Even if delivered by video, the gif is always there. We pick the best format your browser can view,

but as a user you can choose to view gif only, or hotlink directly to the gif.

Global CDN for fast delivery anywhere in the world, backed by Amazon's rock solid CloudFront.

Not just a simple server: Scalable server system designed to handle content that might go viral. Multiple layers of load balancing and caching with no single point of failure.

Hotlinking fully approved. Embed your .gif directly anywhere. And even if our servers were all offline, Amazon's Cloudfront would still deliver your file.

RES integration! If you use Reddit Enhancement Suite, you can play a gfy without even leaving reddit. Just click the Play button by the link (already pushed out to Firefox, Chrome update still pending roll out).

I don't get it, what is the point? Like sure you can make gifs into mp4 video (which is what it does), but the point of gif is that it is an image format, not video format, so stuff that only supports images works with them. Avatars, signatures, icons and all that is all image based so having the ability to turn them into videos is pointless if the stuff doesn't support it.

SIze mostly, people don't want to have to load up a 5 second video file. While I don't think in anyway this would replace gif format, it would be nice if it became a sort of stepping stone to a format that is integrated into places where you might expect images do be shown.

As it stands at the moment it feels like a prototype, the hope would be that it would allow for interest and people to integrate the technology into forums and the like without the need for an addon. Taking into account as it stands that linking to their site is a bit like linking to YT. Years ago, you were unable to embed YT into forums.

SIze mostly, people don't want to have to load up a 5 second video file. While I don't think in anyway this would replace gif format, it would be nice if it became a sort of stepping stone to a format that is integrated into places where you might expect images do be shown.

As it stands at the moment it feels like a prototype, the hope would be that it would allow for interest and people to integrate the technology into forums and the like without the need for an addon. Taking into account as it stands that linking to their site is a bit like linking to YT. Years ago, you were unable to embed YT into forums.

Well its not a new format, its mp4 with html5 player. So it is literally like embedding youtube videos (btw I don't remember time when I was unable to embed youtube videos and I joined in 2007 :o - sure forums don't have it by default but the option was always there).

But yeah there is lot of stuff you can do with html5, I was trying to do something like multitwitch but where the streams are resizable as you want and movable around as an element and its not that hard, I might have the file somewhere.

This gfycat is basically just video player made in the same way, sure its cool project but I don't see it as a future of anything, its just a website that does things (and actually pretty lazy coding on the main site I must say, it doesn't resize properly with lower resolutions and sidebars :/).