Question About Kono Oozora

DoodlyNyan

I'm planning to download Kono Oozora (If My Heart Had Wings) but I'm not sure about the translation. My download speed is pretty crappy so I can't really really download anything large unless it's worth it.

My question is, As of right now, is Kono Oozora worth reading? I mean is the translation good and understandable with the first patch ? Or should I wait until the TL team release the second patch?

I'm planning to download Kono Oozora (If My Heart Had Wings) but I'm not sure about the translation. My download speed is pretty crappy so I can't really really download anything large unless it's worth it.

My question is, As of right now, is Kono Oozora worth reading? I mean is the translation good and understandable with the first patch ? Or should I wait until the TL team release the second patch?

Personally, i didnt enjoy it as much... I completed Kotori's route on the English version and didnt go back to it again... I recently got the first patch with all the removed content and am skipping through Kotori's route to get to the other routes. I dont really think that its worth reading but thats just me. I would suggest to wait for the second patch cuz the Official translation is pretty crappy.

The game itself is pretty good, although I can't comment on the translation quality. (reading it raw at the moment, and it's actually quite good, although I can see why it'd be pretty hard to TL at some points.) I think it'd be at least worth a shot, an official release should at least be readable.

I've completed Kono Oozora with the patch and I had the same doubts as you in the beginning.

Yes it is worth it in its current state. It's completely understandable in its entirety. There are only slight errors but they're not frequent at all. You can enjoy the game with this first patch I can assure you.

The first patch is okay if your tolerance of English is fairly high. There are some portions that sound pretty bad in English. If you can overlook some English errors, it is a worthy read.

I don't think you need such a high tolerance. The frequency of errors in the english was fairly low although when it happened it was annoying but nothing that stopped you from understanding what was going on. 

And at least the errors aren't really in the important bits from what i could see.

I don't think you need such a high tolerance. The frequency of errors in the english was fairly low although when it happened it was annoying but nothing that stopped you from understanding what was going on. 

And at least the errors aren't really in the important bits from what i could see.

Not necessarily the case, the first patch still has its share of errors that still need to be worked out. There are a ton of reports in the thread as well as some personal notes that we have too.

Ugh, if it was that good, I would have finished the TLC long long time ago, even with my slow speed.

No, the translation is rubbish. The worst fragments were those with aviation/aerodynamics infodumping (and they are rather frequent, in the common route at least). Vast majority of those made absolutely no sense whatsoever and needed pretty much a complete re-translation. While the other parts are somewhat less horrible, they have a fair share of blatant mistranslations too. Yeah, it's not completely unreadable, and it's better than machine translations - you will understand the plot. But, this is not a plot-driven title, so there's not much to get there really. When it comes to more important parts - humor and character interactions, the current translation butchers some of those quite mercilessly. This combined with crappy English will probably make this VN quite a chore to read.

I have a low tolerance for inaccurate, messy translations though, so take this with a grain of salt.