Puzzle solutions in games

InvertMouse

Last year, I replayed a bit of the original Deus Ex. What a fine piece of work that was (albeit with broken bits and pieces). Every obstacle has multiple solutions. When you approach a puzzle in a certain way, you think yes, this method reflects my play style, and I feel expressive because of it.

Of course, no game puzzle will really have an infinite number of solutions. That is, unless the game has infinite budget. In the end, we can argue branching paths is an illusion, and we're in fact still being pulled by the designer down a certain road.

That makes me wonder; how much do we appreciate multiple solutions to game puzzles? Or does it not matter? In games like Zelda, most puzzles will have only one solution, yet it's still a highly regarded franchise.

My game projects have little budget, so open ended puzzles would be a big ask. I would love to hear your thoughts and see how much gamers value this concept. Thanks :).

Multiple solution game make me want to try hard.

I don't really want to stop unless I find the optimal solution.

So they can be more attractive.

Puzzle with a unique solution is a bet in my opinion.

Whether it's gonna be hard and you have to make it interesting enough for it not to be frustrating.

Or if it's easy, not make it boring.

That's why I personally prefer multiple choices in puzzles.

It makes me want to know about the other ways to solve it and therefore gives a good replayability ( does that mean something ? ).

Unique solution are harder to implement correctly but are good if it has to fit in a scenario because you can control it's course.

Multiple solutions would be a bonus, but a lot more work involved to code. Usually results in a more enjoyable experience as you feel slightly more in control and less pushed around... I don't know it just feels better, and you don't need to worry about fulfilling exacting criteria.

Unique solution are harder to implement correctly but are good if it has to fit in a scenario because you can control it's course.

It's typically easier to create a unique solution than purposefully make an open ended puzzle. It's the difference between creating an "event" and creating a "game".

I think a single finely tuned, well-crafted solution that makes sense and just 'clicks' is worth a lot. Of course that comes with the trade off of replayability. I think which method is ultimately better (from a player standpoint) depends on the type of game and the type of challenge presented. Games like Deus Ex, which has an open ended approach to combat, is made better for it. While multiple (less well-crafted) solutions for something like a strict puzzler might be to that game's detriment.

It's typically easier to create a unique solution than purposefully make an open ended puzzle. It's the difference between creating an "event" and creating a "game".

I agree,

My point was about the players point of view, not the game producer.

It is indeed easier to make unique solutions, but the reception is more critical because of it.

That's why I think it's fine as long as it's done correctly

Multiple solutions to puzzles or gameplay obstacles are ideal in my opinion. I still remember soloing Baldur's Gate II with a thief and having a blast, despite that the game was heavily oriented towards mage combat. However, if budget is an issue or if the game doesn't allow different ways of playing it, there's nothing wrong with having a single solution, as long as it is logical. You know, unlike those old adventure games where the solutions MADE NO SENSE AT ALL, like Gabriel Knight's infamous mustache puzzle http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/78.html

I think a single finely tuned, well-crafted solution that makes sense and just 'clicks' is worth a lot. Of course that comes with the trade off of replayability. I think which method is ultimately better (from a player standpoint) depends on the type of game and the type of challenge presented. Games like Deus Ex, which has an open ended approach to combat, is made better for it. While multiple (less well-crafted) solutions for something like a strict puzzler might be to that game's detriment.

I agree, i frequently have trouble with puzzles in games, but if they are good then I keep at it anyway.

Funny example:

In Ni No Kuni there is a puzzle where you have to move two statues around. The game gives you a hint that the statues need to be moved in a way that resembles leap frog. Took me a good 30 minutes before i realized all I had to do was switch their positions with each other.