solidbatman's New Years Giveaway Palooza!

solidbatman

Did not have enough time to do a comic so here is a short story / story concept.

A week after the tragic events of the Fuwapocalypse, the remnants of humanity (who managed to survive in shelters with the assistance of stockpiled VisNOV robots) made their way to the remaining intact metropolis - Tor'ren. When they reached it, they were met with the impenetrable gate and wall. It was imperative that they reached the stockpile of VisNOV held within so, using the last of their limited resources, they managed to regain access to most of the system and open the gate.

They should never have opened the gate.

There were no survivors to be seen. They were met with carnage. Corpses littered the streets, ripped to shreds and scattered around. The power was still running, which implied there was still some chance of life. Met with the choice to enter and search or head elsewhere and avoid the same fate as the residents, the party split.

On the way to the Central Archive, there were no incidents. They did not meet a single living creature, nor an operational VisNOV. That changed when they reached the Archive and logged into the data system - the truth was revealed. From the radiation of the Fuwapocalypse, all the VisNOV within Tor'ren had become corrupted and gone on a rampage. The basic data had reverted to the most primitive default form, WATER CLOSET. With predictable dramatic timing, the corrupt VisNOV spilled out from their recharge points and target the humans and their VisNOV, killing and converting.

The only remaining member of the group and a single VisNOV made their way to the top of the tower. He was badly injured and so as a last resort activated the REWRITE function on the VisNOV, which dismantled his body and combined with the VisNOV into a cyborg form. With the power of the last uncorrupt VisNOV left in Tor'ren, can our hero find any survivors, attempt to fix the corrupt data and help to rewrite the world?

Since I accidentally refreshed the page and therefore lost everything I was writing, so basically, this was written on the fly:

(also, while you wrote "Superhero themed", the requirements for a "superhero themed" story to be just that are incredibly... "fluffy")

(Note, imagine the whole thing to have an "abandoned City" feel.) 

During the fuwapocalypse

-An unknown story-

The main forum is deserted. Where there once were thousands of active accounts, there are none. The recent shutdown of this world has assured that outcome, at least until the people of the "other" world can fix whatever happened. Who I am isn't important, Only my purpose is. You see, whenever this world is shut down, things happen within it. Things that threatens to tear this world asunder. And whenever something like that appears, I stop it. Of course, I cannot restore the damage that these things cause when they appear, so I'm basically just a cleaner, and not a repairman. And while I've used the terminology "things" to describe them, that is not their proper name or classification. You could see these things as error code that slowly builds up before being initialized as a rouge program. And whenever a rouge program appears, I purge it.

The tower connecting the forums with the main site is inactive, and the skies are dark. The only sound being heard is that of the green code-rain. I scan the heavens for any red code that might appear, while keeping a watch for anything that I might've missed. *kzzzz* A loud noise is heard, coming from the "Introduce yourself" Forum. I immediately spring into action, and make my way in that direction...

The Forum is devastated. The effect of the outbreak has torn down one of the introductory threads, and in it's place there sits a large, humanoid shape constructed from red code. It discovers me pretty quickly, and attacks, all in the time span of a second. With the sound of ones and zeros, it swings its hand in might direction, intending to crush me with it's sheer size. I nimbly dodge it by jumping backwards. The ground shakes as the rouge program's "hand" smashes a part of a title to pieces. Before it can recover, I initiate my own attack, ready to purge it from this world. All I need to do is touch their "core", and then it will be done. However, as if sensing my intentions, the rouge program's other arm is swung in my direction, apparently hoping to knock me aside. It telegraphs it's move pretty obviously, thus giving me time to use it's swung arm as stepping stone to reach it's head, where the core logically should be located.

I land on the shoulder, and make a quick jump towards it's "face", thus avoiding the program's automatic self-defense system. A buzzing sound is heard as I reach my hand into the rouge program's forehead, closely followed by a clicking sound that confirms that I have found the core. A quick burst of energy, and the battle has ended with my victory as the red code disperses. I quickly survey the scenery, before walking back to the main forum...

The rain of Code has cleared up, and I'm sitting at the base of the tower. Staring at the abandoned forums stretching out as long as the eye can see. Specks of light irregularly blink into existence now and then, signifying that whoever is currently maintaining this world has started restoration. Of course, I know that it will take time, and that more rouge programs will have time to accumulate before this world is restored again. *drip* A drop of green code lands at my feet, and begins to merge with the ground. It has begun again, this time in the "Visual novel talk" sub-forum, and this time, it is clear that something BIG is going on.

When I approach the sub-forum, I can see that the damage is much more immense than usual. Scattered posts are all over the page, and a few threads have been torn asunder. Small, humanoid rouge programs are lurching forward, almost like zombies in an old low-budget movie. They are easy to "delete". Too easy, in fact. And they are supposed to behave more logically, not as erratically as this... Obviously, something must have distorted them... 

-"Ah, so I suppose that I'm not the only one here..." A distorted voice causes me to turn around. There, sitting nonchalantly on top of a recommendations thread, sits a person. With his/hers androgynous appearance, it is difficult to tell. Large gashes oozing with red code engraves "it's" body, and the "person" would be naked, if not for the large cloak made of red code that hang around it's shoulder. "It" starts to speak again, this time with a more adjusted voice: -"Oh, are you not supposed to say something? Or do you not remember me?"

-"I... I don..." I attempt to speak, but my voice has not been used for a long time... Yes... When was the last time I used my voice? More importantly, that doesn't matter right now. What does matter however, is this "person" who claims that I should remember "it". -"I suppose that either you cannot speak, or you do not remember me... Well, I suppose that it would be inevitable, since you did not remember me last time either." "it" sounds bored while talking, almost as if "it" has given up on talking with me. -"M... Met... before..?" 

I manage to stumble something out, albeit in a parched and broken voice. Upon hearing my question, "it" lights up, and starts to speak enthusiastically:

-"So you want to know? Amazing, last time, you didn't even give me time to explain myself. You "deleted" me, without even a single question. How wonderful for you to finally care! We should sit down, and talk about old time someday, maybe sing a song together? Of course... We never really talked much. You see, we have met each other at 7 different occasions before this one, but you have never remembered me... Not even once. So, to me, you are my nemesis, my arch-rival, the hero that always wins against the villain. But you don't remember that, do you?"

It's monologue has gone on for far too long. It is also crazy. It's voice annoys me to no end. -"But... I... If I always... Delete-" -"Me, then why do I always return? That might be a good question. Or maybe I'm just here because you are here. Either way, that doesn't really matter now does it, hero? I'm a rouge program, and you always delete rouge programs, don't you?

And I'm only here to destroy anyways... So, let's fight, shall we?" Before "It" even finishes it's sentence the thing makes a swift kick towards my throat. I dodge it, but only barely, and I take the opportunity to gain some distance between us.

-"You're fast as ever, but let's see you dodge THIS!" "It" makes a dramatic gesture, before the world starts to distort in all directions. Something like that should not harm me, so I simply dash through it. "It" then proceed to attack with a series of rapid-fire kicks and punches. An inhuman wail of ones and zeros escape it's lips, before "it" starts to press it's attack. However, I'm not countering, or even attempting to mount an attack of my own. Instead, I spend the time analyzing my opponent, just as I have done every time that I face a new opponent. "It" is flashy, but not very efficient in "it's" attacks. They mostly appear to be theatrical in their execution. When "it" makes it's next strike, I dash past it's straightened arm, and deliver a strike with my elbow towards it's exposed face, a sickening sound is heard, almost as if it were real bones being broken. "It" stands completely still after receiving my attack, almost as if "it" was reviewing my attack in it's head. However, I back of from my opponent, still trying to find the place where it's core should be...

-"so... hero. You have not grown weaker since last we fought... But you haven't grown stronger either." For some reason "it" calls me a hero. I have never claimed to be a hero. In fact, heroes are only heroes when a sufficient amount of people see them as such. Being a "hero" is nothing more than being an admirable concept. I'm not even sure if the people in the "other" world who unknowingly created me knows about me. But ruminating on something like that is just a waste of time, so I silently begin to approach "it" once more.

"It's" kick comes fast, way faster than before, and connects to my stomach. The force of the strike sends me away several meters, before I slam into a pile of posts at high speed. I quickly get up, and press the attack, intending to put pressure on "it" and make it reveal it's core. My fist connects to it's shoulder, before my kick connects to it's lower abdomen. My elbow smashes It's arm apart, sending pieces of red code and bone-like fragments all over the ground. A piece of red code shoots out like a spear from "It's" face and pierces through my hand. But I don't feel pain.

A sudden flash of light erupts to our left. The restoration of this world will happen soon, and when it does, I will have won.

Another spear-like thread of red code shoots out from "it's" face, going straight through part of my face, and I can feel part of my jaw being torn to pieces by the force of the attack. I attempt to delete "It's" face, but it only results in it bursting into red code. As long as that thing's core is intact, "it" will regenerate, so I have two options: Either, I just hold out until world restoration is complete, or, I try to destroy it's core. I aim my next attack towards It's chest, and tear it open with a well-placed strike. A sudden clicking sound reaches my ears, telling me that I've found "It's" core. But, before I have the time to capitalize on this opportunity, a new spear shoots out, tearing through my stomach, and throwing me to the ground...

-"And for once, the battle ends with my victory. I'm actually surprised myself. Well, a world restoration is imminent, so I won't get to savor this victory I suppose. What are your thoughts on this matter, hero?" Whatever my reply was supposed to be, the only sound coming out of my throat is painful wheezing, and a gurgling sound. Funny what a ruined jaw can do to your ability to speak. -"Oh, I see. You cannot speak for real this time... Well, you don't need to speak to help me answer a question of mine, you see: We have already established that I don't die when I'm killed, So the question is: Do you? Well, I intend to find ou-"

But before "It" can finish it's sentence, the world is covered in the light of a world restoration, blinding "it", and giving me the chance I require. I throw myself towards "It", not paying attention the the pain. In the light, I reach forward, and suddenly, I hear a clicking sound. This time however, there is nothing to stop me, and without even a single thought, I delete "it"...

-"See? The hero defeats the villain with the help of a Deus Ex Machina... A classic..." "It's" last words fade out, leaving me standing in a restored world. I lurch myself into the main forum, before I lean towards the tower connecting the forums with the main site. All around me, the avatars of different accounts become visible, as their users have logged in...

I feel sleepy. Maybe this is what happens to me every time this world is restored. But, I'm fine with it being this way, even if I'm unknown. Even if I loose any memory of this even...t.

I will always protect...    world... Like   always have.      I        will... Protec... t

And, I suppose that I'm done now? Yeah, I'm done now

I did it! I was working whole week on this comic. So, now is the time, when I will present it to you...

You have two ways to read my comic:

1) Through my website: http://inku.comli.com/core/index.php?id=3&ch=1 

If transition effect is annoying for you, you can turn off it by clicking icon with text "effect". You can change pages by clicking on actual page or by arrow keys.

2) If your browser doesn't support HTML 5, you can just download my comic in *.zip file here (about 1,48 MB): http://inku.comli.com/comics/3/FFH.zip

English is not my native language, but I tried to make this comic as readable as possible.

I also used in my comic few characters from this forum (I hope they won't be angry on me).

Ahh, by the way, this comic is read like manga - form right to left (on the first page there is a little reminder).

I hope you enjoy.

And thanks for reading  ^_^

Uff... it's the end... finally... (I even shortened my comic to make it on time)

I wish good luck to other participants.
It was quite a fun to compete with you ^_^ 

Made it just a little before the deadline I think. Nothing new from me I guess :x

So, I had fun doing this. Wrote all of this in one go so excuse the mistakes and stuff like that. This week has been chaotic to me and I haven't been feeling all that great, which is why I didn't really bother writing this before. I'm kinda depressed so I've been playing VNs and some MMOs to get my mind out of things. I guess it worked a little if I was able to write all this. I suck at making stories and I know nothing about super heroes (I've never read a comic after all), but I'm pleased with the result.

Anyway, here it is my entry. Story is based in this contest, with some of my actual background I guess.

PS: Solidbatman, I made you the main villain. I don't think that counts as lambasting, villains are cool and necessary after all.

<Insert awesome title here>

It was another normal day in the Fuwanovel country, everyone happily talking about visual novels as usual. Then there was me, listening from the shadow as a pro lurker does. Dunno if it's ok to be proud about it, but I do and don't care. Putting that aside, I thought it was going to be another normal day when I read an interesting notice. The super villain known only as SB apparently was back to terrorize the state of General Discussion. I didn't know much about him, but I had heard that one year ago he inspired fear in the country, gracefully weaving his swag and making people fight him and his evil minions. The heroes back then fought hard against his evil challenges and won, but only a few remained.

They posted a notice of recruitment for heroes so I immediately thought that that was my time to shine. I used to be a great Magic Knight before, helping people and defeating demons that sometimes appeared. I then proceeded to search for my old equipment and, after a quick search, I found it. First was the Ygdrassil Cleave. I remember getting this way back when I fought in the Magical Monster Order's (aka MMO) tournament. Secondly was the armor I got by assisting the people of TouYube. It was as shining and sturdy looking as ever.

I had all my equipment ready so I departed. It had been a long time since I last fought in a big battle so I was re-reading the spell books I got in the kingdom of Pikimedia. After traveling for a while, I reached the meeting point where I found a lot of heroes. Some looked new while some had an experienced look. Needless to say that I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of heroes gathered, but I quickly regained my composure. After exchanging greetings and some information, an emergency message arrived. SB had appeared in a city way north, firmly saying "Now we begin proper. This will weed out some of you who don't have the drive that others have to win. Are you ready? No? Good. Lets do this".

We arrived at a white city... or so I would like to say. The city was burning and the snow almost looked like it was never white to begin with. SB's evil minions were wrecking havoc all over the place. We sortied and began defeating the minions. We first encountered with the big ones. We had to take them quickly to avoid any more casualties. For some reason a lot of heroes were using a summoning magic to call forth an unusual girl called HM. I didn't know what was up with that, but it appeared to be effective. We quickly dealt with them and proceeded to deal with the others. After a while, only the small fry were left so they retreated. After a quick victory cheer, we went back to base. We didn't go unscathed though, some of our troops got injured in the battle.

The next day, SB appeared again. "You all did well. Now we move on to the next phase of the contest. This time, a little bit of writing is in order. A perhaps, a little trickery", he said. This time the situation looked kinda grim. While the magical creatures we encountered were strong, that wasn't the main problem. SB had casted a magical barrier to the monster so that they could only be damaged by what we used the day before. "Were those minions just decoys or what?" I thought. They were stronger than the minions from yesterday so the people who only used weak stuff were quickly overwhelmed. To top it off, we were against the clock as usual, if we wanted to keep the city standing that is. We finished his army, although we lost even more troops.

The following day he appeared again. It was a little weird that he appeared day after day and not just go all out at once. "He's only playing with us" I thought. I was about to be proved wrong. We reached the city just to be greeted with a huge army of monsters. Magicians that shoot fireworks, healers, copycats, time magicians, illusionists and mind controlling mages. Lots of weak stuff, although huge in numbers. The firework magicians and nurses were weak, nothing to worry about. The copycats were a little troublesome since they copied our appearance and began attacking other people, so there was trouble trying to get the monster and not the person. Even I hit one of our companions a few times, which left a bad taste in my mouth. The time magicians were annoying more than anything, since they could only stop one of us for a small period of time. The illusionists were the main problem though. They created illusions of our worst fears and made us face them. What was up with that? Really evil. Last but not (not) least, were the mind controlling mages. They controlled some of us and forced them to charge to other people while screaming "HACHIKUJI MAYOI BEST GIRL". I didn't really understand that last one, specially because they returned to normal if you shouted the same thing. We took care of the army with few casualties.

Our job was over, or so we thought. A large floating island appeared in the sky. It was SB's fortress. Lots of big monsters were deploying from it. He was finally bringing the big guns out. The monsters originated from there had good formation and order, so they were really hard to deal with. Needless to say, most of our troops were falling like flies. In a zerg rush fashion, we were overwhelmed. Our only hope was to defeat the master mind, so we quickly rushed to his castle in the floating island. Our numbers were slim and we had a lot of demons still in our tail. Our 2 best heroes decided to stay and hold them back, while the rest of us went ahead. I worried a little about them, but I knew they were really strong since they made a big effort in the battles we've had.

And that gets us here. We're proceeding in the castle to get SB once and for all. We encounter some monsters on the way, although they don't pose much of a threat. I guess the main force is out. We reach a weird room. "A dead end?" I thought. When we gathered around the center of the room, everything went black in an instant. "A blackout?! Hey, can anyone hear me?" I said. I waited for an answer, to no avail. I walked randomly in the dark. I just couldn't stay there and do nothing could I? Everything was black. No sounds, no light, no anything, just darkness left and right. It was like life itself shut down in an instant. After wandering around for a while, the lights turned on, where I found 2 other heroes fighting against SB. "Guys, are you ok?" I said. "Yeah, we're still good to go" "Yes, I'm good". "What happened to everyone else?" "I don't know, maybe they're still lost in the darkness. Hopefully, they'll make it". We braced ourselves to fight SB and put and end to this. "Hahaha, you think you can defeat me with those numbers? Show me what your determination, motivation and lack of anything else to do can achieve!" he shouted. "We're not alone, our comrades are out there fighting, and some of them are on their way here, we will succeed!" I said. We were against the last boss and we numbered 3. The odds didn't really looked in our favor, but we had to try and believe that our companions were going to snap out of the darkness and help us. "For Fuwanovel!" we 3 shouted then began fighting against SB.

This was our last stand, and failure was not an option. We have to win. Not just for us, but for everyone else in Fuwanovel.

I had fun with this contest, it was a pleasure to take part of it with everyone else c:

Ah, okay. Nothing's changed in terms of who won then. I can see what granted Yuril's victory here. Nice work there.

And thanks for holding the contest, solidbatman. Know that you have properly represented your swag and have earned love from all.

Edited by seventhfonist425