What Internet Did For Brazilian People

Kaguya

I live in Brazil, and we have been manipulated by the government since ever- Not really unlike what happens everywhere though.

Most of the Brazilians have always been manipulated my mass media, and we never got the chance to fight for our own freedoms though. With the world cup projects as an excuse, the government raised taxes for a lot of stuff, and our money in general is being spent without our consent.

Anyway, some time ago people made protest for a raise of 20 centavos (about 10 cents) on bus prices.

While it may indeed sound insignificant, a lot of people suffered badly from it because of the incredible low average payment.

That's beside the point though. The police reacted severely to this protest and people even got shoot at for doing nothing. The mass media, as always covered things up and it all should've ended there.

But today eveyone with a cellphone can record stuff, meaning the truth of the police forces actions ended up on web. And now a lot of big protests are happening because of the police actions- Those protest are being answered with more violent opression from the government, and peaceful manifestations are being severely and violently punished.

I'm not saying you should agree with the protest. If you agree with it or not, it doesn't really matter to the point I'm getting at here- What I want to say is that it was the internet which gave us the chance to know the truth. A lot of incidents like this already happened, and were mostly covered all these years. However, with help from the internet, people can know the truth and decide for themselves wheter we should or not fight for our rights.

This is a video showing the protests situation until now:

http://copaemcuiaba.com.br/

If you're interested in it, check it out. It was subbed by an amateur, but you can still get what happens on the picture.

What I wanted to do here is just thank the internet, for giving us the chance of finding out the truth.

PS: This topic may be a bit polemic, and it's not related to visual novels at all. If any of you judge appropriate to delete it, please do so. My intentions here are not to bring any disconfort to you guys, as I love this forums as much as you do. XD

The media here in the US is sugar coating what is happening in Brazil right now. I imagine they don't want to report it for fear of messing up the Confederations Cup and World Cup, so they are just saying its a small protest over a transportation tax and not even mentioning the police brutality going on.

The media here in the US is sugar coating what is happening in Brazil right now. I imagine they don't want to report it for fear of messing up the Confederations Cup and World Cup, so they are just saying its a small protest over a transportation tax and not even mentioning the police brutality going on.

I imagine so. Please, take a look at the video if you will. It explains everything that happened so far, and a lot of people are doing it. I find it innapropriate to describe it as "small".

It's pretty bad in Brazil at the moment. I'm actually unable to access any news articles about it (since I'm still in China), but I believe the NYT has a post on it, as well as some blogging websites; but from some people I've talked with online from Brazil, the police are pretty much attacking indiscriminately under the excuse that people 'may have been protestors'.

I'll probably attend a protest in my city tomorrow. I've been taking a look at the situation and I have to say I'm deeply moved by all of this. This is the first time in Dude knows how long that the people of my country have taken to the streets, dissatisfied with corruption, media manipulation, and general neglect of those in need. Brazil has one of the strongest economies in the world, and yet its education is one of the worst, its health care is abysmal, and public transportation is extremely inefficient.

Worst of all, the government is trying to pass a law, named PEC 37, which will essentially make our most powerful political officials, including senators and ministers, immune against any kind of prosecution. This is outrageous considering the insane amount of corruption that has plagued this country ever since its beggining. Our people are going down the shitter, living in extreme poverty, and these fuckfaces want even more power for themselves.

Our police is also extremely corrupt. They do anything except protect the people. Seriously, being a cop in here is essentially the same as having a license to "beat anyone who mildly annoys you". Just check out some of the photos and videos of the protests here. The police have been reacting in the most unreasonably aggressive way possible, beating up and using tear gas and pepper spray on peaceful protesters. Thankfully, there have been many officers who haven't abused anyone, and have simply kept an eye on the protesters.

Anyways, this whole thing is going to be part of our history books. It's a very important event for us, even if it seems insignificant to the rest of the world.

I have found two blog posts which describe and contextualize the situation here perfectly. I recommend reading them.

Also, keep an eye out on r/brazil. That subreddit has a lot of info on the manifestations.

Here are some photos, which also depict some instances of police brutality.

Finally, here's the Wikipedia article.

I'll give you a warning, though: as I said on twitter, be VERY wary of your local news media, especially if it is known for supporting right-wing ideologies. They may attempt to undermine the event, or demoralize the protesters by only showing the violent aspects of it (unfortunetely, there are a number of vandals, even though the protests should be peaceful).

Also, a bit unrelated, but do look around for a documentary named Beyond Citizen Kane. It is a British documentary released on 1993, and it exposes the ideological manipulation by our very own "FOX News", Rede Globo. It should give you a good idea on the behavior of the media around here (trust me, it hasn't changed much). I know there's a Portuguese dub on Youtube, but I'm sure the original version is somewhere out there, too.

EDIT: Found this article

u guys are smart. u guys know it's a scam.

most people in the west dont know theyre being scammed everyday

I'm actually surprised Americans aren't doing anything despite the whole NSA leak. I don't understand how anyone can just stand there knowing that your government has been spying on you.

I'm actually surprised Americans aren't doing anything despite the whole NSA leak. I don't understand how anyone can just stand there knowing that your government has been spying on you.

Oh, on this particular point, everyone pretty much knew that NSA/spying organisms had a way to intrude privacy on the internet. Well, not everyone, but anyone with a certain awareness of what is internet though.

Only thing that lacked was an actual proof.

People either don't really care or have long accepted the fact that there can hardly be such a thing as privacy on the internet, and therefore you shouldn't spill out anything you wish to keep for yourself on it.

We just had a protest in my town yesterday, since Im with the army the Sub-Lieutenant advised me not to join, though as long as its peaceful we got no problem with it, even the police was going along with it, they were doing their jobs quite nicely, they were only there to make sure no one would get hurt, everyone praised their work, It was a sight indeed.

This may be a small town, but it did its part, and it was great to know that even here people are reacting to all the corruption and political nonsense that has been plaguing Brazil for far too long.

In dull times like these, where people only bend down to their government, seeing this first hand...watching this revolution grow...Its...utterly amazing.

Edit: Im ashamed to say that a small minority, tottaly unrelated to the movement, is vandalizing the streets, stealing and breaking all they find, to those people, I hold no respect, they are a blight to our country, just like those politicians filling their pockets with our money.