OpenXcom Playthrough

Mr Poltroon

What would you prefer?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a video format or a written format with relevant images?

2. 2. How would you have me do these videos (if you chose to have me do videos)?

• Live gameplay with me commentating (a misson could take a long time to complete)
    • Only show more relevant and eventful bits with live commentary (this will have my most genuine reactions and rage)
    • Only show more relevant and eventful bits with post-recording commentary (this will make my commentary wittier and smoother, but take longer)
  3. 3. Would you rather be shown only the battles or everything about the game?

• Only the battles
    • Everything (Will take overall much longer and be much more stat management)
    • Battles and important events (Breakthroughs in technology or aliens after my neck)

This poll is closed to new votes

Alas, the pressure of being the ace finally got to cowardly Camouflaged Sausage. Rooke tried to pick up the slack, but, well, we all saw how that ended...

Me, when you had No Dice throw the first grenade: "Isn't your ship in the way?"

Me, a few seconds later: "Yep."

Me, a few minutes later: "Wait, did Tiago really just throw another grenade at his own ship?"

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Alas, the pressure of being the ace finally got to cowardly Camouflaged Sausage. Rooke tried to pick up the slack, but, well, we all saw how that ended...

Me, when you had No Dice throw the first grenade: "Isn't your ship in the way?"

Me, a few seconds later: "Yep."

Me, a few minutes later: "Wait, did Tiago really just throw another grenade at his own ship?"

Xcom operatives aren't the only ones who panic...

Anyway, this is how a bad terror mission goes. Hopefully I'll be able to show you how to handle one decently in the near future.

It's nice seeing the time/resource management mechanics in this video, to understand a bit more what's behind the curtain. I'm looking forward to seeing a terror mission where you actually have a big crew, though.

It seems like the pacing of the time/resource management part is quite a bit different from what I've seen in XCOM 2. XCOM 2 likes to send me flitting around the map scanning things constantly, so I haven't spent time idling (with a small reward) back at my base since the very beginning of the game. Also, must be nice having your monthly income actually get handed to you, rather than having to go fly across the map to find it, and then harvest it for 3 days...

On 23/03/2016 at 6:07 PM, Fred the Barber said:

It's nice seeing the time/resource management mechanics in this video, to understand a bit more what's behind the curtain. I'm looking forward to seeing a terror mission where you actually have a big crew, though.

It seems like the pacing of the time/resource management part is quite a bit different from what I've seen in XCOM 2. XCOM 2 likes to send me flitting around the map scanning things constantly, so I haven't spent time idling (with a small reward) back at my base since the very beginning of the game. Also, must be nice having your monthly income actually get handed to you, rather than having to go fly across the map to find it, and then harvest it for 3 days...

Your wish is my command.

As for XCOM 2, they turned the setting around, so some mechanics changed. Essentially the ones outside the missions, mostly.

5 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I feel like you aren't moving out aggressively enough at the beginning of the mission - probably gotta take more risks in the first and second turn if you want to save any civvies.

I point you to last terror mission. If the RNG is against you, that's the result of rushing out.

Anyway, for most people who play XCom I know (not many) saving civilians in terror missions is a waste of time. They are stupid. They will put themselves between you and the aliens. They will go toward the aliens. They will go toward any proximity explosive you set up. Saving civilians is a waste of your time. If you rush out, you'll probably lose everyone and then the civilians. If you don't lose everyone, you'll lose most of your guys, and you'll still end up only saving a couple of civilians.
The only reason we take something as suicidal as a terror mission is to reduce our score loss and not piss off the country too much. -300; -500 is great, compared to not showing up at all.

This mission had the civilians all spawn in the opposite four corners of the map, which didn't help at all. The map itself was great, but just about everything else was against me.