Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library and The Monster Seal

Novel21

It's fun, but it has a few weak points like the story and the post game.

The Story is existent but you shouldnt expect something as good as in other J-games, more on the level of Moe Chronicles. I also focuses more on Fanservice but less than the other game I mentioned.

The difficulty is quite low as soon as you have the advanced classes (you get those with lvl 30, that's the point where the game starts to make fun because before that every small fight is a chore) excepting for a few spikes especially concerning the optional stuff which makes the Post Games very tedious because leveling takes forever and for the last bosses of the Post Game you need to reach lvl 99 about 5 times to crown your characters.

It's a good game, but not something I would spend more that 20€ on.

btw If you're thinking about buying the additional characters from the DLCs, don't do it it's waste of money.

4 hours ago, Novel21 said:

so it's very boring game and the game are not the same as The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky

excepting that both games are turn based RPGs, they couldn't be more different.

And the LoH games are way better, in terms of both gameplay and story.

LoH's focus is on story; Doungeon Travelers 2 on Fanservice

Dungeons Traveler 2 uses a typical Dungeon Crawler Gameplay with a lot of grinding (even for RPG standarts) and indefinitely repeating quests; LoH need less grinding and has a small story and a better reward system connected to most quest which keeps them interesting.

• 1 month later...

I love this game to death. It was by far my favorite dungeon crawler on the PSP (which is saying something because the PSP had a lot). However, there is something important you need to understand before you get into it:

This game is VERY GOOD if you are specifically looking for a Wizardry-like first person dungeon crawler. It is VERY NOT GOOD if you are just wanting an RPG with a good plot or whatever. This is a dungeon crawler, it is mean to keep you grinding in the dungeons for as long as possible with only a barebones plot to string you from dungeon to dungeon. The thrill of the game is finding tough monsters, finding awesome rare items and building an unstoppable team with a lot of diverse characters and classes.

However if it's a dungeon crawler you want then this one is great. Why? Simply put it's one of the only dungeon crawlers I know of that gives you a clear and concise reason to grind. You're trying to collect enough of each monster to get their summon page, which requires 9 kills (except for bosses). If you make sure to get about 80% of the monsters on each floor in your book, you'll never be hurting for levels. It makes the progression in the game feel smooth and natural. You get to a new floor, you explore it while trying to collect the pages, by the time you've done that you should have explored the floor and should be a good level for the boss. Rinse and repeat. It's so good! No other Wizardry-like is quite this good at making you feel like the grind isn't a waste of time or isn't just to get your levels up.

Plus the character designs are great. Yeah there's fanservice but I feel like it's a little more well done than Moe Chronicle or other fanservicy dungeon crawlers. Besides the super sexualized ones there are character costumes that are just really charming, and it's possible to have a very fashionably dressed party without showing too much skin.

Anyway I'm currently playing this on the PSP so if anyone wants to discuss it more I'd love to talk about builds and characters and stuff.

• 7 years later...

I just find a thread about Dungeon Travelers 2, so may as well revive it a bit by mentioned that Shiravune already released the PC version of this along with the alternative version (2-2) back on last Friday, which mean you can play it right now instead of buying PSV. You can only purchase this on Johren though thanks to Valve banned this. Anyway, have fun in case you've been playing this on the PC.

PS - Speaking of DLC, from what I see 2-2 did add several cameo from past Leaf VNs (Including WA2 main heroines (Setsuna and Kazusa)) as the playable characters. What I can say, well, let's just say that I agree that it's waste of money (Technically speaking you didn't need to buy it because Shiravune already bundled it) because I felt that it would be jarring to have WA2 heroines as playable characters.

PPS - Would like to see Shiravune finally manage to release Tears to Tiara 2 (And the first game remake) on PC now that they got this along with Utawarerumono trilogy and White Album, but maybe it's too much for them for now.

Edited by littleshogun