Rewrite Crash: Moon Route (SOLVED)

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED

If you're having a similar problem, some files are probably corrupted.

Force re-checking the files with the torrent client you used to download it should fix it.

Of course, redownloading should do as well.

Before anything else...

Warning: block of text. TL;DR can be found at the bottom.

First of all, yes, I am running my 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate PC on a Japanese Locale. (with an English display)

31uxl.png

Next, the copy I have is from fuwanovel (r4 patch). It doesn't need an install so you just move the files to a folder and run some stuff to make it work.

And as the title says, the game I'm having a problem with is Rewrite by Key.

Sadly, this is my first visual novel, and when I'm about to finish it, it crashes out on me :<

Now, on to my problem...

My problem is a game crash.

31vjM.png

> This happens in the middle of a line transition in "Rewrite 【Reinforcements】" right after when Chihaya says 「They're coming!」. After saying that, her sprite starts fading out, then the game crashes midway, not letting the next line show up (so I assume something is wrong with that next line).

> Can't find it? Here's a spoilerful of descriptions:

This is from Moon route. When you reach the moment where everyone starts dying out on you, you're near it.

Familiars start dropping from the sky on top of Kagari.

You start losing hope then Sakuya shows up.

He helps you out and you start forming the barricade to prepare for another attack.

You and Chihaya stay inside while Shizuru fights outside.

Click a few more times and you should find the problem.

I've also tried various hopeless attempts, such as letting auto read feature get through it, but it was hopeless.

If I start from a few lines behind, then rush through it with Ctrl (fast skip), it crashes on my line「Yeah. We've been waiting for this.」, which is the line before Chihaya's. So, I assume that the program is pre-reading the next two lines forward whenever I fast skip. Then once it reads the faulty line, the game crashes.

Stuff I've tried...

I've rummaged through this forum's threads by searching for "Rewrite", and all I found was threads on making the batch file work or running Rewrite for the first time (also, there was one who tried running Rewrite on an OSX native system). I even googled my issue, but still I found none. Which means I think that I am the only one having this issue. I didn't bother posting the issue to Amaterasu's website, since I may still have to register for an account. (I can't even open their forums page)

Next:

- Reboot your computer

> tried this, it was hopeless.

- Uninstall/Reinstall the game

> Rewrite (from fuwanovel) doesn't need an install.

- Redownload the game

> no way, man. That's 7.29 GB. Besides, I don't think that redownloading the game would fix my issue.

- Try to run the game as an admin

> I'm always running the game as admin so the security warning dialog gets skipped every time I open the shortcut.

- Check your antivirus for quarantined files.

> nope, nothing there. Besides, my antivirus should tell me something if it really did interfere with my playing.

- If the folder you downloaded includes a Readme from the TL team, READ IT. Known issues are often handled there.

> nothing seems to solve my problem either. And I tried the replacement SiglusEngines, nothing seems to work as well.

More useless info which might bring up suspicions...

How I acquired the game and how I made it work.

> I downloaded the torrent. I moved all files to C:\Program Files\Rewrite\

> I renamed the batch file to something more decent before running it.

> The game worked flawlessly after running SiglusEngine.

> I played a bit with the screen resolution and some common settings, then I closed the game.

> I made a shortcut of SiglusEngine on my desktop, and made it run as admin by default.

Recently, I had to evacuate Rewrite into D:\ since C:\ drive was getting full

> I copied the entire Rewrite folder into D:\Visual Novels\

> This was around a few days ago, when I've just started Moon route.

> I ran the batch file once again, in order to update the registry info.

> I opened Rewrite from my desktop shortcut to check my saves (which still pointed to the C:\ drive copy), and it worked just fine.

> I later on realized that I ran the C:\ drive copy, so I modified the shortcut properties.

> I deleted the C:\ copy, then tried running the game again. It was still working fine.

> I played the game normally, but then this bug came up.

TL;DR: Rewrite crashes on Moon Route right after when Chihaya says 「They're coming!」.

Also, a minor issue: I can't seem to left-align all these stuff. Editor is a bit faulty after all. I just centered some lines then once I previewed it, all lines got centered already. Admins/Mods: Feel free to left align everything except titles and images if you can.

edit: couple of grammatical edits

Since you messed with your saves. Have you tried restarting the Moon route (Not loading a save file). You can also check the registry and make sure there are no faulty Rewrite entries left. Also check that you have permission to read/write in the whole folder.

Apparently I found that saves are stored in My Documents, so moving the entire folder around shouldn't mess with the saves.

I tried restarting Moon route, it didn't work.

I think the single entry I found on the registry doesn't look faulty. It points to the correct siglusengine.exe on my D:\ drive. Here's its value data:

{0.0.0.00000000}.{dd0ecc71-2642-490b-83d7-3086115b2df9}|\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Visual Novels\Rewrite\siglusengine.exe%b{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

It also contained a subfolder with 4 more entries inside. I'm not sure whether it's good or not, but it doesn't look fishy. I'm totally clueless about how registry keys work, so yeah.

Permission to read and write to folder? I'm not sure how I'm supposed to figure that out. And besides, I don't think I would be having this problem if the issue is about having the permission to read and write to folder. If I didn't have the permission to write to folder, I would probably be having saving issues since long ago.

I'm starting to come to a dead end. Help me D:

The important part of the registry is :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Key\Rewrite]

"setup_dir"="H:\"

"dat_dir"="path to rewrite" (e.g. H:\KEY\Rewrite\)

"exe_dir"="path to rewrite"

"dat_setup"="full"

But I doubt registry is the problem since you are able to run the game.

If you don't want to redownload it at least try forcing a recheck on the files with your torrent client to see if any files are corrupt.

Also I don't think there's a Take Ownership option in windows 7. Are you using vista?

okay so I found the Rewrite entries on my registry.

31Y8b.png

aaaaaaannnd I redownloaded the torrent and downloaded it exactly where Rewrite is. I forced a recheck and I thought it would download just the batch and text files I renamed and the SiglusEngine I replaced, but the check stopped at 99.5%, so I had to download 36 more MB. I'm downloading at 5 kbps, but hopefully this fixes my problem. I'll post back once it finishes. :)