WIP: Guide to FuwaForum Features

Eclipsed

FuwaGuide to Nifty Forum Features

"The wise man gives people fish instead of teaching them to fish, cuz ain't nobody got no time to teach nobody nothing"

Hello friends of Fuwanovel and welcome to the 12th(??) entry of Eclipsed's Fuwanovel Feature Tutorials. In this episode I will gloss over various forum features (not all of them, just ones I think deserve mention and/or I have seen people inquire about, feel free to suggest important ones I may have missed) that the general public may not be aware of because a certain someone cough* Zenophilious has apparently been on this site for 2+ years and never knew there was an 'overall top poster' thingymabob on the bottom, bless his ignorant soul.

Table of Contents:

Will include a description of all listed items regarding how to access & how to use them, what they are for, other general information regarding them, etc.

User Control Panel

1. Avatars 
  2. Signatures
  3. Adding a VNDB, MAL, and Steam
  4. Blocking users, signatures
  5. Managing notifications

Forum Features

1. View New Content, Quick Navigation
  2. Sidebar: Quicklinks, Content feed widgets (ie. Recent Topics), VNTL
  3. Blogs
  4. Shoutbox
  5. Awards
  6. ​Donate
  7. Changing Theme -> Fuwafabulous (+Edit Style), (Dark) The Infinite Stomach, Clarity, Gravity Green 2013, IP.Board Mobile

Text Editor

1. Switching to BBCode mode
  2. Remove Format
  3. Paste as plain text by default
  4. Emoticons & FuwaColors
  5. Embedding Images quickly (ie. without having to do (img)insert_link(/img))

Stalking Users

1. Viewing the Community's Status Updates
  2. Posting a comment on a users' profile feed
  3. How to view a users' created threads, posts, and likes
  4. How to visit a users' profile without leaving your mark (appearing in "Latest Visitors")

Misc. Forum Statistics

1. The Moderating Team, Today's Top Posters, Overall Top Posters, Most Liked Content
  2. Viewing individual user post count contribution of a thread

~~

Guide to be completed sometime before Little Busters! EX Translation is completed and Half-Life 4 released (approx. 14 years before year 2097)

User Control Panel

Avatars are like your forum identity. Choose whoever and whatever you want! Curious about the types of avatar users that exist? Visit my blog entry, Avatar: The Last FuwaBender!

• To change your avatar, visit "My Profile" and then mouse over your current avatar and click "Change", OR visit "My Settings" -> Profile Settings tab -> Change my Photo
  • This will open the Photo Editor where you can choose to upload your own avatar using the "Upload from file" option, link one from an image hosting site such as IMGUR using the "Import a photo from a URL" option, and finally, crop your avatar using the "Adjust Crop" option.

FhT8owd.png

• TIP: You have a maximum size of 150 KB for your avatars. Typically this means you will have to use JPEG filetype for large images or really small images for other filetypes such as PNG. You can also use GIFs if they are < 150 KB, though that requires some massive shrinking and quality nerfing.
  • TIP: Avatars are optimized for the portrait shape, so if you want a big smokin' hawt avatar to rampage the forums with, choose an avatar with a height size that is greater than its width (ie. taller than it is wider)

Tall (left) vs. Wide (right). Das' some Goliath vs. David right there:

ZOBPNv4.jpg     Xs1CuH3.jpg

Signatures

A signature is a user-defined message which is attached to all of said user's posts. Usually includes an image with their username on it. In the case of Fuwanovel, expect to see hot 2D females  ^_^ (and males. and anything else people like...)

• To change your signature, visit "My Profile" -> Signature tab
  • This will open the Edit Signature where you can input your desired contents: Up to 1 image, 800x150 pixels, any number of URLs, and up to 3 lines (note: an image takes up 1 line).
  • TIP: Careful! If you attempt to save your signature when it violates a rule (ie. contains more than 3 lines, size is bigger than 800x150, etc.) you will get an error and will lose all of what you typed up and will have to type it up again. Copy paste your content before attempting to save!
  • TIP: You can artificially have more than 3 lines by using Spoiler tags(see my signature: 1) Image, 2) Currently reading, 3) Signature by Kurukosari, and then voila 4) Spoiler tag (Love Live Event SR List)

Attempting to save a Signature that violates a rule...

ruFPgpt.png

...Results in...

b9oHD1y.png

...And so when you go back and refresh the previous page you'll be greeted to a nice ol' empty text box (or whatever your signature was pre-attempting-to-change-it-to-your-desired-new-one). So be careful!

Adding a VNDB, MAL, and Steam

VNDB is the #1 local Visual Novel database. Make an account there if you haven't already so you can log all of the VNs you read. Same thing with MAL for anime (and manga / LNs), and finally Steam for your gaming needs.

• To link your VNDB, MAL, or Steam, visit "My Settings" -> Profile Settings tab -> Scroll down to Profile Information from there just type in your VNDB ID number (without the u) for VNDB, your MAL username for MAL, and your Steam username for Steam.
  • You can also add your various contact information (Skype, AIM, etc.).

Scroll down to Profile Information at bottom of Profile Settings tab from My Settings and type in your information:

orPwYaa.png

Now you look legit whenever you post B)

CT91t40.png

Blocking users, signatures

Fuwanovel is widely hailed by many of its current users to be a wonderful little friendly community that may or may not have its share of trolls. But everybodys' their own person, and sometimes you just can't mix well with certain individuals, or maybe they have a certain obnoxious signature. That's where the block feature comes in where you'll be able to ignore (it will be hidden) a users' posts, their signature, and even their PMs towards you!

• To block a user, visit "My Settings" -> Ignore Preferences to bring up Users I'm Ignoring. Type in the desired username in the "Add new user to my list" and tick what you want to ignore (Post, Signatures, Messages) and then hit Save Changes.
  • Afterwards you can toggle a users' Hide / Allow by clicking on the bubbles or Remove them from your ignore list if they have achieved redemption.
  • TIP: By ticking the "Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages" you can get rid of Signatures once and for all!

Z3MMulE.png

Yay! User is blocked!! One day you'll become old and grumpy enough that you'll block everybody. That'll be fun~

TAWF8Cs.png

Managing notifications

Notifications are love, notifications are life. Notifications help keep you informed of everything happening in your daily Fuwa life that may interest or pertain to you, so it's a good idea to be able to filter out which notifications you want and which ones you don't want.

• Visit "My Settings" -> Notification Preferences tab to bring up a list of the various notifications you may receive from Fuwa. The left column of ticks applies to in-Fuwa notifcation system, whereas the right column of ticks apply to your personal email. Should be self explanatory from there.KQKE5qR.png

• TIP: My favorite notification option is probably the "Show inline pop-up when I have new personal messages (latest will be shown)" option under Private Messages; check that and you'll get a popup whenver someone PMs you:

yzcR7nV.png

Forum Features

View New Content & Quick Navigation

View New Content and Quick Navigation are your friends that help make navigating the forums convenient and efficient. Btw, don't rely on the search function for finding threads. It sucks balls. Literally and figuratively.

• To access View New Content click on it in the upper right corner of the Forum Index.
  • From there, you can filter what type of New Content you wish to view such as Forum, Blog, and even Members (under 'By content type') along with your specified time (under 'By time period'). 

​​rl5hpPn.png

• Quick Navigation is a superfluous tool. To access it, click on the bundle of horizontal lines next to View New Content. From there, you can click through tabs and enter any forum that you have access to, but you're better off just browsing the forums naturally rather than using this.
  • TIP: One thing that is not accessible via the forums, however, is the Member Status Updates, which will take you to the Community Status Updates, a hub for all members' statuses. Fuwanovel's very own Twitter, I like to call it. Check it out sometime!

UDYrFfW.pngstYbDWR.png

Sidebar: Quicklinks, Content feed widgets, VNTL

The good ol' Sidebar located on the right hand side of the Forums is meant to provide you access to Quicklinks for the Fuwachat, FuwaBlogs, FuwaReviews, and FuwaZette.; also informs you of recent forum content such as topics, blog entries, dev blogs, and there is a VNTL link to bring you to Fuwanovel's very own Visual Novel Translation Updates Aggregator

• The Content feed widgets display the Recent Topics, Fabulous on Fuwa blog feed, Community Blogs feed, Development Blogs feed, and Recruitment feed. 
  • The Quicklinks are links which take you to the /index.php?/shoutbox/">FuwaChat, /index.php?/blogs/">FuwaBlogs, FuwaReviews, and FuwaZette respectively.
  • The VNTL takes you to Fuwanovel's Translation Updates Aggregator where you can check out the status of various Translation Projects in the Visual Novel scene. You can also opt to just check out Tay's update posts which are based on VNTL here.

3bFug5W.png     4fwuoBK.png

^Quicklinks          VNTL^

• TIP: You can hide the entire sidebar by clicking on the x on the top right of the Sidebar. You can also minimize (not hide entirely) the individual recent content widgets except Quicklinks and VNTL. Use the same method to unhide / unminimize:

AzrJlTd.gif

Blogs 

The Community blogs, where you can visit the community's blogs and view the various content written by your fellow members. It's a massive popularity ego contest over there; people are scrambling to get 30k+ views (likely a bug, but yeah, gotta have them viewcounts!)

• To access the blogs, simply click on Blogs on the main menu at the top of the forums (top left for Gravity Green), or the Blogs icon in the Quicklinks on the Sidebar. From there you can browse other users' blogs.
  • To create your own blog, click on Manage Blogs on the upper right and then Create Blog on the upper right as well.
  • Three Steps: 1) Accept Terms and Conditions, 2) Name your blog, 3) Set your blog settings. You can always change your blog settings later so don't worry about it too much for now.
  • TIP: You can assign people to help manage your blog using Manage Blogs -> Select Desired Blog -> Manage Settings -> Editors tab -> Type in desired members' usernames:

pODEU2M.png

Shoutbox 

The Fuwachat is the number one place to go if you are in the mood to chat with fellow Fuwans. Actually, screw it, let's call it DeadChat. Because it can get pretty inactive at times. But what can you do~

• To access the FuwaChat Shoutbox, click on Chat on the main menu at the top of the forums (top left for Gravity Green) or click on Chat on the Quicklinks on the Sidebar.
  • TIP: Welcome to the Shoutbox! Please read the /topic/7809-fuwachat-discussion/">rules before shouting so you don't get banned by /user/6650-kurisu-chan/">Kurisu-chan.
  • TIP: You can expand / shrink the Shoutbox by clicking and dragging the grey bar.
  • TIP: Daily shouts and all the various random stats at the bottom reset DAILY.

gS7Vp7Y.png

0UoLcD0.png

WIP

Awards

Probably one of the most obscure, superfluous features on the Forums, Awards were handled by OriginalRen to provide 'recognition' to people who contributed to the site, forums, or participated in Ren's games.

​Donate 

Fuwanovel finally implemented a donation system for those generous individuals who feel like contributing financially to the site. Sellouts!@# Lel jk. I'm a backer myself because I love Fuwanovel :3 ~

Changing Theme 

Fuwanovel has several skin themes for you to choose from, because people like options. Also, beware: if you are a dedicated loyalist to Gravity Green 2013 make peace with it getting ganked one day because once IPB 4.0 comes out it will be GG for Gravity Green due to compatibility issues.