The Mirror Lied

­­­LeBlanc

the-mirror-lied-titlescreen.jpg

The Mirror Lied is an indie game made by Freebird Games, the guys who also made To the Moon. The game itself is very short, it'll only take you about 20 minutes or so to complete it. What's amazing however, is the abstract story it presents that is fully up for interpretation

You can get the game here. Play through it and do share your own interpretation of the story, I would love to see them.

Here are my personal thoughts on what the plot is about:

Leah is a researcher who's trying to create a vaccine against a deadly disease, 'birdie'. Leah is shown as a young girl in the game, hence the title 'The Mirror Lied'. 

"A bird landed on water today" means that the water supply has been contaminated by the virus, which might also be why Leah is storing water in her tub and sink. "It flew away" implies that the disease is spreading rapidly. "Oh, too late" refers to how Leah failed to stop the virus because it's too fast. Pieces of the world map also starts disappearing over time, implying that the world is ending as the virus spreads. 

Leah probably has the disease herself, which is indicated by her having a fever. Leah is told to "drink plenty of water", which is done by watering the plant. Watering the plant also triggers the passage of time. And as time passes, you can toggle the switch, which starts the fire. When the fire starts, Leah has to go to bed. I think the fire represents her fever, thus "drinking water" and "sleeping it off". 

I also believe everything is happening in Leah's mind, which explains all the strange things happening. Paintings disappearing, the mansion having no exit, Leah being a little girl, etc.

The ending probably means that Leah succumbs to the disease, letting birdie take her away. 

That sums up my thoughts, though I still have a lot of random, unanswered questions in my mind. 

What does the teddy bear beside her bed represent (the one jumping around)?

What does the mail mean by "Abandon birdie, it lies to you"?

Does the bed falling to the first floor after you sleep mean anything?

Behind the painting in the dining room were the numbers "61|5491", what does it mean? Does the time 3:26 have a deeper meaning behind it too?

During the ending, did Leah shoot herself? Was it suicide?

The Mirror Lied is one of those game that makes you wonder what the hell just happened after you finished it. I played it about ~2 years ago when I was searching for something like To the Moon. However, since it's been 2 years, I don't remember most of the details. But one thing comes to mind. About the ending:

Doesn't Leah shoot Birdie at the end?

The Mirror Lied is one of those game that makes you wonder what the hell just happened after you finished it. I played it about ~2 years ago when I was searching for something like To the Moon. However, since it's been 2 years, I don't remember most of the details. But one thing comes to mind. About the ending:

Doesn't Leah shoot Birdie at the end?

Another random thought:

• If I remember correctly, something will happen if you stay long enough at the main menu. I forgot what it is though (the game will close itself?)
  • Why Leah doesn't have a face?

Your thoughts sound plausible, but I cant really discuss it since I don't remember most of the stuff. Maybe I will play it again to refresh my memory.

I don't think she shot birdie at the end. If you can't recall, birdie picked her up and she pulled out her gun. The background went red and then the screen blacked out. After hearing a gunshot, the screen goes back to birdie, but Leah isn't there anymore. Then after a few seconds, birdie just disappears.

Not sure about the main menu easter egg, I'll try it out later. I do know that after you beat the game, starting the game again will give you a prompt asking "Retro Vacation?". If you choose "Yes", you'll be able to play Quintessence.

If you look at the website, under "Character and Setting" it says "A faceless girl in a faceless world". I'm not sure what the intent is though.

Oh. The only thing I remember is Leah rode on Birdie, and then Leah pulled out a gun and there was a gunshot.

I think it was after the hand of the clock rotates for a certain amount of time. I'm not really sure though. I didn't know about that Quintessence easter egg though (or maybe I just didn't remember it).

Yes. I'm talking about the purpose, or if there is any "hidden meaning" about it.

I tried it out. After waiting for quite a while, the clock goes haywire and the message "Too late." appeared, closing the game. Pretty cool.

I looked around for a bit and I didn't find an answer that could satisfy me as to why she's faceless. 

I did find some interesting interpretations of the plot though. Many people believed that a nuclear war is happening, and 'birdie' is the bomb. That explains the numbers "61|5491", which could mean July 16, 1945 (Trinity nuclear test). 

Also, apparently Leah was shooting downwards when "birdie" took her. That creeps me out for some reason, but as usual, the developer just gives the Shrug of God whenever someone asks on the forums  :vinty: 

So what does it mean by "Too late", I wonder?

Something definitely is happening, and it must be stopped quickly. And maybe the number 3:26 got something to do with it.

Aw. That's too bad.

I don't really remember about the numbers, but that's really interesting!

Maybe that's why I thought Leah shot at Birdie. Because I was quite sure Leah shot at birdie in the ending.

Also, I'm really curious about the "Abandon birdie. It lied to you." What exactly is the lie?

Hmm, that might be true. In the game, the fever hits Leah at 3:26. "Too late" might imply that Leah already died, so it's too late to start the game.

You can find the numbers by repeatedly checking the cabinet at the top left corner of the dining room. It's behind the painting.

I'm really confused about the "Abandon birdie, it lies to you." mail too. Because if "birdie" is a disease or a bomb, how does it lie? Maybe the title "The Mirror Lied" has something to do with it? Questions everywhere  :conspiracy: 

Hmm, that might be true. In the game, the fever hits Leah at 3:26. "Too late" might imply that Leah already died, so it's too late to start the game.

You can find the numbers by repeatedly checking the cabinet at the top left corner of the dining room. It's behind the painting.

I'm really confused about the "Abandon birdie, it lies to you." mail too. Because if "birdie" is a disease or a bomb, how does it lie? Maybe the title "The Mirror Lied" has something to do with it? Questions everywhere  :conspiracy: 

That makes sense. Does the clock always stops at a specific time?

Maybe it was one of the reason of why I thought Leah shot birdie. "It lied to her" so she killed it. Not sure though.

I still have no idea what "The Mirror Lied" has anything to do with the game. Except maybe the "lie" part. Like seriously, I'm sure I didn't counter anything that represents a mirror.

At this rate, we might need to kidnap the developer and interrogate him. :amane:

That makes sense. Does the clock always stops at a specific time?

Maybe it was one of the reason of why I thought Leah shot birdie. "It lied to her" so she killed it. Not sure though.

I still have no idea what "The Mirror Lied" has anything to do with the game. Except maybe the "lie" part. Like seriously, I'm sure I didn't counter anything that represents a mirror.

At this rate, we might need to kidnap the developer and interrogate him. :amane:

I'm not sure, I just let the game run in the background while I do other stuff, can't be bother to wait that long  :wafuu: 

The developer did however heavily imply that "birdie" isn't actually a bird, but a representation of something else, much like many other things present in the game.

Yeah, same here. My theory was quite far-fetched, but it was the only answer I could think of. Someone else mentioned an interesting explanation, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced. "If she was stuck in the house for much time, the mirror is her only way to see someone. So the title can be interpret as the mirror, her only hope, her only friend, lied."

Seriously, he could at least drop us a few clues...

I'm not sure, I just let the game run in the background while I do other stuff, can't be bother to wait that long  :wafuu: 

The developer did however heavily imply that "birdie" isn't actually a bird, but a representation of something else, much like many other things present in the game.

Yeah, same here. My theory was quite far-fetched, but it was the only answer I could think of. Someone else mentioned an interesting explanation, but I'm not sure if I'm convinced. "If she was stuck in the house for much time, the mirror is her only way to see someone. So the title can be interpret as the mirror, her only hope, her only friend, lied."

Seriously, he could at least drop us a few clues...

It was that long?

:michiru:

So birdie is the "mirror"? Hmm. I'm not really sure. Though that's quite interesting.

Typical mystery-game developer. :amane:

I just read that Leah might have amnesia. Is that true?

Amnesia? What's the evidence that points to that?

Also, take a look at this 2-part explanation

. She brought up good points, like how the virus is the Avian Influenza. Though her theory does contain a ton of loopholes, it still was fairly interesting. It still doesn't answers all my big questions though ... 

I'm starting to doubt "birdie's" identity too. The mail said "Abandon birdie, it lies to you" and "birdie" also called Leah on the phone multiple times. Is "birdie" a person...? But that doesn't make much sense too...

The bird at the end is not supposed to be taken literally, that's the only clue they gave.

To quote a dev, "Very interesting. I can't comment much on the actual theory, but to the bird being a bird at the end - While it was seen as an actual bird, it still doesn't have to be. Many things that happened in the game do not make sense if they were physically and literally taken. I say that the bird's existance at the end doesn't contradict the rest of the theory here. "

Okay, this is weird. I cant find the exact link where I read it.

:blink:

Some people said that the details of the house slowly disappear as you proceed the game. Suggesting that Leah "forgets" the details of her own house. Some said the bronze globe might be a reference to Planescape: Torment (memory loss is the game's main theme).

That's interesting. I'm still not convinced though.

I've found another interesting theory. This is what he said:

Doing menial things to occupy her time. Playing with pesticides, 
painfully unlocking chests covered in red tape to reveal things she knew was important, but didn't know why. 
and someone-- some nameless voice keeps calling to her. Telling her things she half understands. 
She knows she must keep going, but doesn't know why.
And she grows more frustrated and confused. 
All around she's hearing different things about this Birdie-- her future.
And she's watching as it collapses around her.
And as she finally accepts the wings of her future
she realizes she has control-- a gun with a bullet.

She shoots it.
But who does she shoot?

Don't look in the mirror,
It shows your face as you believe it
The mirror lied."

I really like how he said "Don't look in the mirror. The mirror lied."
I also found someone who said, "Her face isn't there because the mirror lied. ...But no actual mirror." Sadly, he didn't explain it. I wonder what it means...

"I viewed Leah as the next generation

Also, it seems the game was updated at some point? I don't think I've seen any of the event suggested there though. Maybe I played the older version? Or did it got cancelled?

That's interesting. But what bothers me is that the house was originally empty if you recall. The details got slowly filled in during the narration at the beginning, I wonder if that meant something.

That's a really far-fetched theory, it neglects too much of the information the game provides. Nevertheless, it's an intriguing take on what the game is. 

Yeah, the game was updated. The one I played was v2, and some of the changes got implemented. I recommend you to play through it again.

That's interesting. But what bothers me is that the house was originally empty if you recall. The details got slowly filled in during the narration at the beginning, I wonder if that meant something.

That's a really far-fetched theory, it neglects too much of the information the game provides. Nevertheless, it's an intriguing take on what the game is.

Yeah, the game was updated. The one I played was v2, and some of the changes got implemented. I recommend you to play through it again.