EAGLS system character limitation

Rast

Hi all,

I'm working on a fan translation for a G.J. game, I was able to extract the script, modify it and repack it with HSHINTAI Script Extractor/Inserter.

However, when I have long lines of text I'm getting the following error, apparently the program exits failing to read a CG file:

Error.jpg

This doesn't happen if I shorten the text, that is why I'm guessing its a character limitation.

Does anyone know how to manage the characters limitation on this engine? Or how to split the longer sections of text in smaller batches?

I see each text line has a "&" followed by a number, however there are more than 3000 lines and inserting one between them is almost impossible as I would have to modify all lines and they're all scattered in different files.

I hope my question is clear and someone can help me, its the only thing keeping me from translating this game.

Also please forgive my bad english as its not my native language.

EDIT: I've found the issue, it wasn't a character limitation, it was the " ' " character that somehow it was recognized as a programming code and the game was expecting a CG afterwards... I'll have to stop using abbreviatons or find a way to use it without interferring with the code.

• 3 years later...
On 26.3.2015 at 6:29 PM, Rast said:

Hi all,

I'm working on a fan translation for a G.J. game, I was able to extract the script, modify it and repack it with HSHINTAI Script Extractor/Inserter.

However, when I have long lines of text I'm getting the following error, apparently the program exits failing to read a CG file:

Error.jpg

This doesn't happen if I shorten the text, that is why I'm guessing its a character limitation.

Does anyone know how to manage the characters limitation on this engine? Or how to split the longer sections of text in smaller batches?

I see each text line has a "&" followed by a number, however there are more than 3000 lines and inserting one between them is almost impossible as I would have to modify all lines and they're all scattered in different files.

I hope my question is clear and someone can help me, its the only thing keeping me from translating this game.

Also please forgive my bad english as its not my native language.

EDIT: I've found the issue, it wasn't a character limitation, it was the " ' " character that somehow it was recognized as a programming code and the game was expecting a CG afterwards... I'll have to stop using abbreviatons or find a way to use it without interferring with the code.

Hi, I'm facing the same issue right now. I don't know if you are still active here, but did you manage to find a solution that allowed you to use the apostrophe? Otherwise, it would really limit the translation.

1 hour ago, iambobokay said:

Hi, I'm facing the same issue right now. I don't know if you are still active here, but did you manage to find a solution that allowed you to use the apostrophe? Otherwise, it would really limit the translation.

I'm assuming the script requires Shift-JIS encoding here:

The standard apostrophe ' is character 27 on the Shift-JIS chart. If you can't figure out how to use that, you can use character 60 on the chart which is this sort of angled apostrophe ` which'll look a little weird but should be serviceable. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to type that character (I just copied it). Worst case scenario you'd have to just copy and paste it as needed.

13 minutes ago, tahu157 said:

I'm assuming the script requires Shift-JIS encoding here:

The standard apostrophe ' is character 27 on the Shift-JIS chart. If you can't figure out how to use that, you can use character 60 on the chart which is this sort of angled apostrophe ` which'll look a little weird but should be serviceable. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to type that character (I just copied it). Worst case scenario you'd have to just copy and paste it as needed.

Ah, yeah, I can use that, I've got a seperate key for that on my keyboard. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, iambobokay said:

Ah, yeah, I can use that, I've got a seperate key for that on my keyboard. Thanks!

Oh shoot I forgot that was under the ~. I use a totally blank keyboard and only ever use that key for ~ so I forgot that it also types ` lol.