Regarding 32-bit and 64-bit

zarathos_omni

Okay so i've got a very noob question. Will I face problems if I run visual novels on a 64-bit system? I mean I don't really understand these things too well and I've been told by my friend that a lot of older softwares dont run on 64-bit. He wouldn't specifically know about VNs so I figured this is the best place to ask. I'm guessing newer ones would work without any problems but I don't know any better. With all the recent games requiring more ram and a 64-bit OS I was considering updating to a new system but I don't really want to rush into things blindly. So what do you guys think?

If you have a favorite VN publisher, you might as well check on their FAQ if the product listed has problems with 64 bit.

In my case there's only 1 VN out of 300 that had a problem with 64 bit so it's pretty rare.

The common cause of this is because of directory structure, and a simple fix requires moving it from the Program x86 to Program directory or a game patch by the game developers themselves.

32 bit and 64 bit only refer to the way a CPU handles large amounts of RAM. 64 bit handles it better than 32 bit.

That's literally it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=window

You shouldn't have problems running VNs on any 64 bit system, if you do it's usually not because it's 64 bit but probably because of some other reason.

Either way you can always check the specs page for each VN.

32 bit software often works fine with 64 bit OS as well, the reverse usually does not.