Opinions on Guys in VNs Aimed at Guys

Lambda

so was that your intention or did you want us to just mention our favorites? Yeah Touma's funny hahaha. I also thought Gen-san was a good character as well. I felt bad for a moment when I stole Kazuko from him :P (but not that bad)

Just wanted to talk about guys in vns, really. Gen-san was such a great tsundere :') Ship him with every main guy + Kazuko. Tsun, a good cook, a nice guy (not a Nice Guy, either) and everything. He gets dangerously close to the ideal.

Just wanted to talk about guys in vns, really. Gen-san was such a great tsundere :') Ship him with every main guy + Kazuko. Tsun, a good cook, a nice guy (not a Nice Guy, either) and everything. He gets dangerously close to the ideal.

Yesh yesh yesh. I wholeheartedly agree :D

I'll have to add Tonya's brother from Ayakashibito to the list now. He is one badass otaku~!

Yesh yesh yesh. I wholeheartedly agree :D

I'll have to add Tonya's brother from Ayakashibito to the list now. He is one badass otaku~!

Truuuuuue. Admirable guy. Sad he barely appears in the VN... And (spoilers for Tonya's route)

his death scene in Tonya's route............... He cared so much. Even sending her those letters....

..............................Damn. Sorry. I had a feeling. Should've... resisted...

It's alright, I've been spoiled with VNs and other media so many times by now that it really doesn't affect me anymore haha xD

I'll just have to return the favor..... eventually sadistic laughter

P.S. congratulations on beating me to twenty

It's alright, I've been spoiled with VNs and other media so many times by now that it really doesn't affect me anymore haha xD

I'll just have to return the favor..... eventually sadistic laughter

P.S. congratulations on beating me to twenty

Obligatory addition to the thread: through Ayakashibito thus far, I've really enjoyed how unmanly Soushichi is in the conventional sense. Often times in otaku media the protag has unheard of intellect or some other crazy trait and they seem to "strong-arm" the heroine of choice into falling for them in the odd chance she didn't fall for him simply because he's nice (ugh). Soushichi readily accepts his weaknesses and is conscientious of his actions. His character is human. I can relate to his thoughts and feelings much better than the superhuman protags that somehow pass off as "normal people."

Oh, good. I'm the same... I read a whole lot of wiki articles on things I didn't think would get translated/widely shown, but protip: if you can read a full plot summary on wiki, it'll get translated. So I got spoiled with Little Busters! (especially) and G-Senjou no Maou (once it was in English for a little).

Thank you. Believe it or not, you're the first one to wish me a happy birthday!~ Special~ Do you have a really late birthday, then?

[...On topic, those had great guys, too. The bromance in Little Busters was great... a pretty good number in the male cast, too..! ...I think I've already talked about Kyousuke? But he's my favourite anyway. Then Masato. Muscles yay!]

I've already spoiled the end of S3 of Legend of Korra for myself, for example, even though I'm stalled at around the halfway mark (not that the spoiler was very surprising).

Omedetou gozaimasu~ I believe it, I wouldn't've noticed if it weren't for my habit of lurking the community index after all 

No. In fact it's really early--as early as a birthday can be date-wise ;D

Although Kyousuke fit into that "superhuman" protag category I mentioned above, I still thoroughly enjoyed his character. It was the moments that he was the weakest that made me respond the most to his character. While bad end Kyousuke always turned out to be a huge prick, he'd always let his softer side out near the end of routes otherwise. The comedic duo he formed with Haru was outstanding and Kyousuke x Mizuha was so cute I nearly hnnng'd to death.

Obligatory addition to the thread: through Ayakashibito thus far, I've really enjoyed how unmanly Soushichi is in the conventional sense. Often times in otaku media the protag has unheard of intellect or some other crazy trait and they seem to "strong-arm" the heroine of choice into falling for them in the odd chance she didn't fall for him simply because he's nice (ugh). Soushichi readily accepts his weaknesses and is conscientious of his actions. His character is human. I can relate to his thoughts and feelings much better than the superhuman protags that somehow pass off as "normal people."

My thoughts exactly!

I often see people criticizing Souichi for being too "shonen" and as much dumb as Shirou but that's not the case at all, I really started to like him when

he ran away from Shuugen and Tonya at the beggining, hoping to come back later with a better plan instead of struggling like any other brainless shonen protagonist. All hail Ryouichi, it's definitely possible to write kind and believable MCs !

Soushichi's such a sissy in some situations. Though that ain't much of a problem.

The only thing that concerned me was his voice. It made him appear weak. It made him someone who sounds oppressed or something. That can't be true though, since he kicks asses with his Kuki-ryu. Seeing him develop throughout the routes was fun. Soushichi might not be the most badass guy there is, but he's very human. Very kind as well. A true role model.

I'll greet Lambda in the birthday thread. Time to necro, eh?

I've already spoiled the end of S3 of Legend of Korra for myself, for example, even though I'm stalled at around the halfway mark (not that the spoiler was very surprising).

Omedetou gozaimasu~ I believe it, I wouldn't've noticed if it weren't for my habit of lurking the community index after all 

No. In fact it's really early--as early as a birthday can be date-wise ;D

Although Kyousuke fit into that "superhuman" protag category I mentioned above, I still thoroughly enjoyed his character. It was the moments that he was the weakest that made me respond the most to his character. While bad end Kyousuke always turned out to be a huge prick, he'd always let his softer side out near the end of routes otherwise. The comedic duo he formed with Haru was outstanding and Kyousuke x Mizuha was so cute I nearly hnnng'd to death.

That's true. Protagonists that are relateable are really interesting, too. Although I'm already a degree removed from them. But it makes their emotions a lot more... raw? When they're not just super-humaning. ...Also guys that show emotion are really cute in my book (I prefer them to guys that can do anything and everything). Shoushichi's habit of crying when he's happy is really sweet. It's a great look at someone that finally found something he thought was impossible: an ordinary school life and, realizing it may not last that long, decides to live it anyway. He's someone that was constantly beat down and trivialized in his youth, too. It really shows, which is impressive.

Kyousuke's strengths make a stark contrast to his weakness that kind of hit you when you know them. Because he acts so cool and strong....

I'll have to remember that. And I meant first out of everyone that I know. Period. That's pretty special!

Did i ever said how much i love Okabe that i just act as a tsundere?

Whawhawhat's this bug?! b-baka!

Who would like someone as baka as Okabe?! Geez, i-it's not like I thought Mamoru Miyano's performance as Okabe was one of his best or anything! No way! Baka!

Be prepared for a long one:

(Bad puns. Bad puns. Bad puns. Bad puns.)

I must also add Nakai Hisao from Katawa Shoujo to my list. He has no special powers of attraction or destruction like so many VN protagonists do--in fact he's fairly frail. His heart problem is a huge obstacle for him to overcome throughout the story, but I soon realized that his heart is the strongest part about him. Call me a pussy, but KS made me cry like a baby on a couple occasions. Hisao's character is easy for me to relate to not because of his health issues, but because I could easily put myself into his shoes. He's a strong person indeed.

My thoughts exactly!

I often see people criticizing Souichi for being too "shonen" and as much dumb as Shirou but that's not the case at all, I really started to like him when

he ran away from Shuugen and Tonya at the beggining, hoping to come back later with a better plan instead of struggling like any other brainless shonen protagonist. All hail Ryouichi, it's definitely possible to write

kind and believable MCs !

I've yet to read F/SN yet, but it'll likely be the next VN I read unless Kaguya's Reading Club for next month gets in the way. I see no fault with (and actually prefer) a protagonist that shows their weakness and vulnerability as a person. Despite my love of Chuunibyou, I prefer the main character to have a level of realism in his personality. Shoushichi's kindness and believability are a couple of my favorite character traits in his regard. 

Soushichi's such a sissy in some situations. Though that ain't much of a problem.

The only thing that concerned me was his voice. It made him appear weak. It made him someone who sounds oppressed or something. That can't be true though, since he kicks asses with his Kuki-ryu. Seeing him develop throughout the routes was fun. Soushichi might not be the most badass guy there is, but he's very human. Very kind as well. A true role model.

I'll greet Lambda in the birthday thread. Time to necro, eh?

To be honest, I'm teased by my family for making voices similar to what Soushichi makes, so I find it hilarious. I like his weakness. I'd go read some Superman comics or watch some old Sherlock Holmes shows/movies if I wanted to see the impossible man... not that I don't like those characters as well in their own regard. My favorite characters have always been human on the inside, prone to faults and hopelessly romantic at times. Anyone who's watched Scrubs will understand why it's my favorite piece of western media.

Did i ever said how much i love Okabe that i just act as a tsundere?

Whawhawhat's this bug?! b-baka!

This is awkward given your tendency to call me Okabe~

All kidding aside, I cannot believe I of all people left Okabe off my list... Chuunibyou protagonists are the best protagonists. MUAHAHAHA~!

That's true. Protagonists that are relateable are really interesting, too. Although I'm already a degree removed from them. But it makes their emotions a lot more... raw? When they're not just super-humaning. ...Also guys that show emotion are really cute in my book (I prefer them to guys that can do anything and everything). Shoushichi's habit of crying when he's happy is really sweet. It's a great look at someone that finally found something he thought was impossible: an ordinary school life and, realizing it may not last that long, decides to live it anyway. He's someone that was constantly beat down and trivialized in his youth, too. It really shows, which is impressive.

Kyousuke's strengths make a stark contrast to his weakness that kind of hit you when you know them. Because he acts so cool and strong....

I'll have to remember that. And I meant first out of everyone that I know. Period. That's pretty special!

Who would like someone as baka as Okabe?! Geez, i-it's not like I thought Mamoru Miyano's performance as Okabe was one of his best or anything! No way! Baka!

That made me laugh haha. Hides. I don't understand the reason why he says he refuses to cry when he's sad though. That didn't make too much sense to me.

Kyousuke's character confused me immensely... I never could understand why he acted so guarded until his true nature came out. Once that happened, I began to think of him as more than your typical otaku-media protagonist. He's definitely one of my favorite protagonists now that I've finished G-Senjou, though.

Wow, I'm honored. ^ω^

That made me laugh haha. Hides. I don't understand the reason why he says he refuses to cry when he's sad though. That didn't make too much sense to me.

Kyousuke's character confused me immensely... I never could understand why he acted so guarded until his true nature came out. Once that happened, I began to think of him as more than your typical otaku-media protagonist. He's definitely one of my favorite protagonists now that I've finished G-Senjou, though.

Wow, I'm honored. ^ω^

Being a female VN fan is haaard for relating. Guys that try to act cool come across as arrogant and a jerk over half the time.. well it's personal opinion, of course~ ...I do solemnly swear to not hit on people over the internet, if that's your worry. When it comes to Shoushichi, it's more like he wants to only cry happy tears because he doesn't find crying when he's sad productive, I think? It's been a while. But he also doesn't want to negatively impact the happy moments by placing emphasis on the sad ones, either...

Yeah! His couple with Haru just felt so... significant, too! They both really needed and loved each other~ It was so sweet! His desperation for his family also shines through...He acts cold, but actually cares a looot. Even beyond his debates about exploiting people for money... which basically show he's stuck between lone wolf mentality and "I need people!"...

Being a female VN fan is haaard for relating. Guys that try to act cool come across as arrogant and a jerk over half the time.. well it's personal opinion, of course~ ...I do solemnly swear to not hit on people over the internet, if that's your worry. When it comes to Shoushichi, it's more like he wants to only cry happy tears because he doesn't find crying when he's sad productive, I think? It's been a while. But he also doesn't want to negatively impact the happy moments by placing emphasis on the sad ones, either...

Yeah! His couple with Haru just felt so... significant, too! They both really needed and loved each other~ It was so sweet! His desperation for his family also shines through...He acts cold, but actually cares a looot. Even beyond his debates about exploiting people for money... which basically show he's stuck between lone wolf mentality and "I need people!"...

Haha yeah, so what was your opinion of Kyousuke before he let his true nature show?

Pinky promise? ;D

Idk the effeminate, man-child inside me didn't get that part too well. I also think he's great at focusing on the good in every situation though, one of Soushichi's best characteristics.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything about Kyouru (hehe portmanteaus are the best). The combination of the lighthearted, comedic moments and the bone-chilling ones added a lot of depth to the true route. Whoever translated it did an awesome job of capturing the passion they held for one another. Examples: [caution actual spoilers] 

• when Kyousuke kept his brother from strangling Haru, I felt a chill go down straight down my spine. From Haru's perspective he must've looked like a hero as 
  • Haru's confession, even if it "was the worst confession ever." Showed how desparately she needed him. And I thought it was nice how she persistently insisted their lineages didn't matter.
  • The animals part heh
  • And when Kyousuke finally let out all his pent-up emotions in the end. I may or may not have cried a little  :ph34r:

I also gotta say I loved how she grew her hair out for him :3

To be honest, I'm teased by my family for making voices similar to what Soushichi makes, so I find it hilarious. I like his weakness. I'd go read some Superman comics or watch some old Sherlock Holmes shows/movies if I wanted to see the impossible man... not that I don't like those characters as well in their own regard. My favorite characters have always been human on the inside, prone to faults and hopelessly romantic at times. Anyone who's watched Scrubs will understand why it's my favorite piece of western media.

Very nice indeed. Soushichi's weakness plays a big part in the story, since the people around him all rush in to help him and such, building relationships with him that would last for a long time. He's a cool protagonist. Hisao though...

Also, I completely thought Kyousuke was Maou. Until that fateful chapter...

I wouldn't have guessed.

I'm also extremely fond of "Weak" and "unmanly" protags (when the protag is a male and when it's a Female of course), For me when the protag is weak and/or shows flaws, it means that he's just a human and not just some kind of God, and of course, it make him more human(That doesn't mean i hate intelligent characters Like Lelouch Lamperouge, but you'll see that he has big flaws to counterpart his intelect, or that Holmes is a little Crazy, despite his excellents detective skills) but what i most hate is protags that are just flawless or "Manly" or i dont know what shit about.

The protagonist is just a human, you have to balance it, if you gives him incredible skills, give him incredible drawbacks.

Yes, Rintarou is one of my favourite char, because i love his psychological evolution through the VN.

He surpassed his RaĂ¯to Yagamai in term of playing and everything and, and, and.

It's not like i love okabe or anything! b-b-aka.

Very nice indeed. Soushichi's weakness plays a big part in the story, since the people around him all rush in to help him and such, building relationships with him that would last for a long time. He's a cool protagonist. Hisao though...

If you diss Hisao, you're dissing me homeboy. He's about as real as protagonists get imo

You might wanna spoiler tag that second part I didn't quote. Unfortunately I was spoiled on it before that "fateful chapter", but the coincidences were just too convenient for me to overlook.

It's obvious that they were trying to get you to think he was Maou and that fact was evident to me

I'm also extremely fond of "Weak" and "unmanly" protags (when the protag is a male and when it's a Female of course), For me when the protag is weak and/or shows flaws, it means that he's just a human and not just some kind of God, and of course, it make him more human(That doesn't mean i hate intelligent characters Like Lelouch Lamperouge, but you'll see that he has big flaws to counterpart his intelect, or that Holmes is a little Crazy, despite his excellents detective skills) but what i most hate is protags that are just flawless or "Manly" or i dont know what shit about.

The protagonist is just a human, you have to balance it, if you gives him incredible skills, give him incredible drawbacks.

Yes, Rintarou is one of my favourite char, because i love his psychological evolution through the VN.

He surpassed his RaĂ¯to Yagamai in term of playing and everything and, and, and.

It's not like i love okabe or anything! b-b-aka.

The moments where Okabe breaks his persona are damn heart-wrenching. The pain he carries in his heart at certain moments throughout the story is so fucking tangible... Moments in particular that really hit me hard:

• When he realized that the was no way to save Kurisu (at that point). She came up to him on the bridge and had a moment of intense strength where she was able to be his rock, telling Okabe she was the "Mad Scientist Hououin Kyouma... MUAHAHA~!" He seemed so helpless and despairing...
  • There are others as you're aware, but that's the first one that came to mind in the original game.
  • When I started listening to zakobot's most recent translation, I thought it was a joke game... heh. When Okabe came to his senses and accepted the fact that Mayuri was no longer with them, I just felt my heart drop to the floor. It opened up the "old" wounds from when Okabe tried and tried and tried and tried, ad infinitum, to save her from convergence. I was surprised to see it take such a dark turn as that... even though most of the other spin-offs turned out dark as well (Operation Valhala for example :\).

If you diss Hisao, you're dissing me homeboy. He's about as real as protagonists get imo

You might wanna spoiler tag that second part I didn't quote. Unfortunately I was spoiled on it before that "fateful chapter", but the coincidences were just too convenient for me to overlook.

It's obvious that they were trying to get you to think he was Maou and that fact was evident to me

The moments where Okabe breaks his persona are damn heart-wrenching. The pain he carries in his heart at certain moments throughout the story is so fucking tangible... Moments in particular that really hit me hard:

• When he realized that the was no way to save Kurisu (at that point). She came up to him on the bridge and had a moment of intense strength where she was able to be his rock, telling Okabe she was the "Mad Scientist Hououin Kyouma... MUAHAHA~!" He seemed so helpless and despairing...
  • There are others as you're aware, but that's the first one that came to mind in the original game.
  • When I started listening to zakobot's most recent translation, I thought it was a joke game... heh. When Okabe came to his senses and accepted the fact that Mayuri was no longer with them, I just felt my heart drop to the floor. It opened up the "old" wounds from when Okabe tried and tried and tried and tried, ad infinitum, to save her from convergence. I was surprised to see it take such a dark turn as that... even though most of the other spin-offs turned out dark as well (Operation Valhala for example :\).

There's a manga series about the The beta world line, where Okabe kills kurisu in the time travel and decide to not go back a second time, he turns out as an ultra Normal fag, completely helpless, completely hopeless, a total wreckage.

There's a manga series about the The beta world line, where Okabe kills kurisu in the time travel and decide to not go back a second time, he turns out as an ultra Normal fag, completely helpless, completely hopeless, a total wreckage.

I hated Operation Valhala because of the hopelessness of everything .-. it was too much for me to deal with 

I have a huge stockpile of a lot of the translated manga and stuff on my laptop. Operations Valhalla is in pdf format in my stockpile under the name Youen no Valhalla. I can share if you'd like as I don't remember exactly where I got it in particular from.

Make a torrent or a Mega link or anything you want with all Steins;Gate Mangas/Light novels you have, please, i beg you.