If My Heart Had Wings Help

Writer4Hire

So, I downloaded If My Heart Had Wings, and I thought everything was going fine. I had Rio.arc.bkp in my restoration patch folder so, despite some Engrish, I thought the patch had successfully installed. But I just reached a scene where Kotori fell in the bath but already had a towel wrapped around her, despite that Aoi requested a beach towel so that she could be wrapped up in one - a clear sign that the scene had been tampered with.

I thought I did everything I was supposed to, unzip the folder and put the files into the game directory/folder and then run apply_diffs. What went wrong?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Is there any way to delete my old saves? Since the patch doesn't work on old saves I'm gonna need the slots for future saves.

Might be that some files were patched and some no.

However if Rio.arc.bkp was created and then konosora started at all, means 2 last commands of the patch probably succeeded. But if so, I don't see the reason for other commands to fail.

Have you tried to read the console output after patching? Was there anything unusual? Most likely there was some hint to what went wrong.

Also check if all of the "*.arc.bkp" files are present.

Well, when I first downloaded it, I had the restoration patch and the game in zipped folders. I unzipped them both, but they just made copies of themselves, so I had two zipped folders and two unzipped folders. I put the unzipped restoration patch files into the unzipped game folder and ran apply_diffs. 

The other files in the restoration patch in my game directory read .arc.diff. 

Should I have deleted the previous folders and made sure all the files read .arc.bkp?

P.S. I wouldn't know how to read the console output, and even if I did I wouldn't know what looks right or wrong in it.

I unzipped them both, but they just made copies of themselves, so I had two zipped folders and two unzipped folders.

If I understand this correctly, seems to be fine. You expected that original zip archives will self-destruct or something?

I put the unzipped restoration patch files into the unzipped game folder and ran apply_diffs.

That's fine, but before doing so make sure you did not used windows explorer to extract zip archives.

Should I have deleted the previous folders and made sure all the files read .arc.bkp?

Not sure what do you mean. From your 1st post I thought that "Rio.arc.bkp" appeared in konosora folder after you ran the patch. So I asked if other arc.bkp files were also created. If you had "Rio.arc.bkp" even before running the patch then I dunno, whatever you have there probably messed up.

P.S. I wouldn't know how to read the console output, and even if I did I wouldn't know what looks right or wrong in it.

I see. After reading this my will to help you totally disappeared. Good luck.

P.S. In case you wondering, your last statement is a synonym to "I'm stupid".

No, I didn't expect the original zip files would self destruct or something. I just didn't know if the original zip files would conflict with the new unzipped files so I just left them be. 

I clicked the option for "Extract all". I'm pretty sure I didn't do it through Windows Explorer. 

No, you had it right the first time. Rio.arc.bkp only appeared when I ran apply_diffs. But it's the only file in my restoration patch folder that has .bkp. The rest end with .diff.

Uh, sorry? I meant that more as "I'm not tech-savvy" vs. "I'm stupid". If need be I'll read up on console outputs on Google and find out what I'm supposed to be looking for. 

No, I didn't expect the original zip files would self destruct or something. I just didn't know if the original zip files would conflict with the new unzipped files so I just left them be.

Nope, they won't hurt.

I clicked the option for "Extract all". I'm pretty sure I didn't do it through Windows Explorer.

Unfortunately this is exactly what you did. In your case extracting wizard popped up, but that's basically the same. Get some more serious software for extraction.

Edit: of course there are other ways to overcome crapsplorer's wrongdoings, but I'm not telling how to do it on purpose.

No, you had it right the first time. Rio.arc.bkp only appeared when I ran apply_diffs. But it's the only file in my restoration patch folder that has .bkp. The rest end with .diff.

Uh, sorry? I meant that more as "I'm not tech-savvy" vs. "I'm stupid". If need be I'll read up on console outputs on Google and find out what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Delete everything you have (except the zip archives of course). Extract them again using something like 7zip. Then apply the patch the same way you did before, but read what console tells you (or post a screenshot here). If there will be any issues, there will be a mention of "file not found" or something similar. You don't need to be tech-savvy for that. That's a basic understanding of how operating system works.

Edit: But this time it might actually work correctly. However I'm not sure if your existing savedata (made with partially patched konosora) will not cause additional problems.

Alright, thanks for the help (even despite your reservations). I'll look up 7zip online. Hopefully it will work correctly this time. 

While you at it, make sure you're NOT putting any of the files/folders in "C:\Program Files". Not sure if in your case this is relevant, but this is one of the reasons why patch may fail.

Okay. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Edit: One last thing: where would you suggest I put it, and other future downloaded visual novels? On a separate dvd or flash drive?

Uh, what do you mean, dvd? Oo

For immediate use or for archiving purposes?

What I said about program files only applies to this particular VN with this particular version of the patch. All other things... whatever you should install them the way they are supposed to be installed or put where you want to have them, unless explicitly mentioned not to.

I meant the D drive instead of the C drive. When I download visual novels (after I get them off of UTorrent) it normally goes straight to C: Program Files. I'm not sure where else it can be installed.

Then there are no recommended install locations for other software. If it lets you choose at all, you should be able to install it anywhere you want. Be it C:\awesome_VNs_here or D:\kotori_is_my_waifu\

Of course you should always read readmes included with patches (if there are any).

What I said about program files only applies to this particular VN with this particular version of the patch. All other things... whatever you should install them the way they are supposed to be installed or put where you want to have them, unless explicitly mentioned not to.

Alright, so C:Program Files is fine for future vns, but just in this instance I should avoid it. I'll redownload them, make sure the files aren't in C: Program Files, and unzip them with 7zip.

Thanks again for the help!

In case it will fail again. There is an alternative way of getting this VN.

Download and install original Japanese version of this VN

(do NOT install Sweet love thingy that comes with it) (make sure you locale set to japanese even before you begin install)

Then download this patch and install it.

Final result should be exactly the same as you're trying to get right now.