Western Visual Novels

Kou

Western Visual Novels can compete with Japanese Visual Novels regarding the scenario for sure.

There's no reason Japan would have more creative minds than the West.

The story telling, the way it is written does feel different though.

And I have yet to find a OELVN with appealing art.

Not once have I come across a western VN and said : That looks really good !

I don't say it's ugly at all, I say it's uncomparable to what some Japanese artists can provide.

And since illustrations and art are 80% of the time the reason I'll refrain from reading it, Western Visual Novels aren't for me.

I don't know why, but I always have a problem with the art in these.

Or mabye I'm having a biased opinion and should check a little more carefully.

Plus I haven't read that many OELVN's (about 3 short ones + katawa shoujo).

Anyway, I wish Western Vn's the best of luck, however, they are yet far from the Japanese ones in my standards (except KS but thats for different reasons)

What I do find neat is the idea that writers could use VNs instead of books as their medium.

I really do believe that this could be a new medium for writers. For many reasons, 1) You can do multiple things with VNs that you can't with traditional books. 2) Music and visuals can enhance the experience of reading and thus serves as an effective spice for the words. 3) People read less voluntarily now a days, this can be a way to get people who are interested in stories but not so much in reading, to read. This third point I know to be true since while I do read a lot for school, I rarely read books on my own initiative, with the exception of VNs. 4) eBooks are nothing but paper books presented digitally, there is little difference between an eBook and a paper book. eBooks are currently a waste of the potential of technology, Kinetic novels would put the potential of Kindles to good use by potentially redefining how we read. I feel like I'm speaking a bit like an entrepreneur, but then again one of my ambitions in life is to create a VN company that does precisely this. (I just have to finish my last year of High School and go to college first...)  

Sorry to interrupt, but about those revolutions you guys are talking... is there any blog, or article, that explains them? Like, telling the story about Visual Novels, which VN or companies were revolutionary, and this kind of stuff? It seems very interesting

Sorry to interrupt, but about those revolutions you guys are talking... is there any blog, or article, that explains them? Like, telling the story about Visual Novels, which VN or companies were revolutionary, and this kind of stuff? It seems very interesting

Yes actually. All our information comes from an article that was originally Japanese but that received a translation. You can read the translation here: http://vnchan.com/thread-74.html