Just thought I'd share...

Dark Ariel7

Looks like one of my dreams is coming true soon. When I first begun to learn Japanese I really admired the guys that translated all of the stuff that I illegally watched for free. I thought that they were just awesome to be good enough to do this for other people.

Well, soon I may be joining their ranks and becoming a translator. I am joining a team(or at least in the middle of an exam to join) in order to become one. I even have a project in mind already.  Though it won't be a anime translation like I originally planned I am still happy with it. I will be doing light novels for the time.

Yeah. I know what Novel I want. I want to be able to finish about a chapter a month for the first volume at first. It should pick up at about the third chapter or so. 

But in any case I picked the novel already and will start working on it today or tomorrow. I will update here to tell you what novel it is when I finish the first chapter.

Yeah. I know what Novel I want. I want to be able to finish about a chapter a month for the first volume at first. It should pick up at about the third chapter or so. 

But in any case I picked the novel already and will start working on it today or tomorrow. I will update here to tell you what novel it is when I finish the first chapter.

I am looking forward to it.

One Point of Advice:  Don't let them talk you into translating a novel that you haven't already read.

(If you do find yourself in that situation, at least read ahead one entire chapter before you start trying to translate said chapter.)

One Point of Advice:  Don't let them talk you into translating a novel that you haven't already read.

(If you do find yourself in that situation, at least read ahead one entire chapter before you start trying to translate said chapter.)

Why is that? Is it the context issue? If so I have already seen the anime adaptation of the light novel. Though I have not  read the novel itself.

Why is that? Is it the context issue? If so I have already seen the anime adaptation of the light novel. Though I have not  read the novel itself.

OK...so at least you have a general idea what's going to happen, that should help prevent you from going off into the weeds.

But even so, it should be easier to read a whole chapter at a time and then translate, because you are separating the tasks of "What's going on here?" and "How should I say this in English"?

And yes it should also prevent you from having to go back and redo lines that you didn't quite have the context for.

I dunno...maybe it's just my preference after all...I mean it CAN be done the one-line-at-a-time way, I did that once.  But there were many lines that came out iffy, and I ended up having to go back through it a 2nd time.  So either way, 2 reads were necessary and I feel I could've saved myself the trouble by not trying to type out a translation while I was reading it for the first time.

Congrats, glad to hear you're finally achieving your goals. Be wary of getting too excited, getting burned out is a real thing.

Yeah. I'm seriously trying to be weary of this. I want to set a good challenging pace but don't want to burn out.

OK...so at least you have a general idea what's going to happen, that should help prevent you from going off into the weeds.

But even so, it should be easier to read a whole chapter at a time and then translate, because you are separating the tasks of "What's going on here?" and "How should I say this in English"?

And yes it should also prevent you from having to go back and redo lines that you didn't quite have the context for.

I dunno...maybe it's just my preference after all...I mean it CAN be done the one-line-at-a-time way, I did that once.  But there were many lines that came out iffy, and I ended up having to go back through it a 2nd time.  So either way, 2 reads were necessary and I feel I could've saved myself the trouble by not trying to type out a translation while I was reading it for the first time.

Yeah. I thought about what you said and just said "man why did I not think of that?" You are totally right.