Anything like the grisaia series - cool mc, cool story?

glupak

Hey, is there anything close to what I like about the grisaia series(specifically the first game, but I've played several routes from the second). Here's what I liked about it:

• Strong/Confident protagonist that can talk to people - Yuuji has a good head on his shoulders, could talk to girls no problems and communicate, and wasn't the typical insecure MC so often seen in japanese VNs and manga/anime. He wasn't at all about saving the world or jumping at 15m monsters that he sees for the first time and being unable to think of anything but fighting opponents and bringing justice to the world. This is important as I'm kinda tired on boring, generic self-insert protagonists with nothing going for them except a power they randomly got or plot armor making girls fall for them just for existing.
  • Cool overall story - I very much liked the stories/backstories of the different heroines and how Yuuji helped them out. From what I saw in the anime, Yuuji has an interesting but tragic backstory as well. It seemed fresh to me compared to the contrived petty drama and boring stalling I've seen in other VNs. While the routes were often extreme and basically impossible to happen IRL they made sense to me and the drama at least was real in the sense I wasn't rolling my eyes. Just something that is enjoyable to read and follow along.
  • Feeling modern/novel - This is subjective and perhaps because the building they were in for most of the VN was mostly empty except for the MC and heroines or because I remember one of the characters driving a lambo, the game felt "modern" to me if I had describe it. The graphics were sharp, the art style was to my liking (which I usually prefer newer-ish style art in stead of the 90s or early 2000s art style).

What I've played before and enjoyed, although not saying it's what I'm looking for now: Steins;Gate, G-Senjou no Maou, Hoshi Ori Yume Mirai, Saya no Uta, Fureraba, Katawa shoujo, Bishoujo Mangekyou -Norowareshi Densetsu no Shoujo-.

These I've also played and were okay but nothing special or not what I'm looking for right now: Chrono Clock, Kin'iro Loveriche, Sorcery Jokers, KukkoroDays, Nanairo Reincarnation, Sanoba Witch, Senren * Banka, Tropical Liquor, Koisuru Natsu no Last Resort, Making lovers, Dies Irae, Doki Doki Literature Club, Sengoku Rance.

Here's suggestions I've researched myself but have not played:

Soukou Akki Muramasa, Ourai no Gahkthun ~What a Shining Braves~, Phantom -PHANTOM OF INFERNO-, Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

Of these I'd most likely play Sharin no Kuni but I'm waiting for the official translation for that. On Ourai no Gahkthun I'm not sold on the premise and same goes for phantom. Soukou Akki Muramasa is perhaps something I will check out in the future but since I was reading shounen manga recently I'm not in the mood for a VN with many battles.

If you could write a short write up about the VN you're suggesting that would be great. Sadly I don't know japanese so translated VN's only please. Feel free to suggest anything you think I'd like or read in the future.

Edited by glupak

Hello, Lady- Narita Shinri is nothing if not confident, though he is more than a bit of a pervert.  His other side is that of a ruthless avenger.

Tokyo Babel- Written by Higashide Yuuichirou, it is one of the few high-quality VNs of the type that have been translated.  It is all-ages (no ero content) and heavy on the action.  Protagonist is the type that punishes himself constantly for his past.  Basic story is that God started squishing all the parallel worlds, closed off Hell and Heaven, and a portion of the angels and demons got together to guide humans through Purgatory (that is combined with a fake version of Tokyo) to Jacob's Ladder.

Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori- Also from Front Wing, just like Grisaia.  Protagonist is a WWII Zero pilot who is doing a kamikaze attack on a US ship when he suddenly finds himself in another world.  Generally good story with Grisaia-style comedy, though it is heavier on the violence.

15 hours ago, Clephas said:

Hello, Lady- Narita Shinri is nothing if not confident, though he is more than a bit of a pervert.  His other side is that of a ruthless avenger.

Tokyo Babel- Written by Higashide Yuuichirou, it is one of the few high-quality VNs of the type that have been translated.  It is all-ages (no ero content) and heavy on the action.  Protagonist is the type that punishes himself constantly for his past.  Basic story is that God started squishing all the parallel worlds, closed off Hell and Heaven, and a portion of the angels and demons got together to guide humans through Purgatory (that is combined with a fake version of Tokyo) to Jacob's Ladder.

Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori- Also from Front Wing, just like Grisaia.  Protagonist is a WWII Zero pilot who is doing a kamikaze attack on a US ship when he suddenly finds himself in another world.  Generally good story with Grisaia-style comedy, though it is heavier on the violence.

Hatsuru Koto Naki Mirai Yori looks good, I'll check it out. Thanks. I'll also note down Tokyo Babel for after.