Why are Japanese VN auto features so dang fast!??!

kittiesdeluxe

Let me preface. I only use the auto function while eating or when my hands are busy. (not like that, you pervert. I only need one hand.) So this isn't an issue for me enjoying VN. Just a diff I've found between renpy/unity english VN and Japanese VN.

I am a pretty fucking fast reader. Not like speed reader or anything. What I'm saying is, I ain't no slouch. But it seems like the majority of the Japanese VN I experience make me go to like the bottom 25% of the sliding bar for auto-speed. Makes me feel like a gosh dang doofus.

My theory is language. I am not fluent by any means. But I know what you can convey a lot more with a lot less characters in Japanese, than you can in English. And the English patches/versions/whatever the fuck the term is can't change the code of the original game when it comes to text speed.

Anybody know the reason for this, or have had a similar issue? 

I...really don't get your point here. The text speed setting for auto mode is there, as you mentioned. Whichever speed they put there as default setting really doesn't matter - it's probably just whatever the coder person found to be the most enjoyable, and players can just change it later to suit their needs.

The max speed, imo, is just an alternative for the skip function, since some games do not allow skipping unread texts.

It is because once you're better than a good learner, going towards native speed, you will become able to skim read. You can check Japanese 実況 of visual novels and eroge and you will see that they barely linger on a sentence. Reading out loud, which limits you to your speaking speed, is also not that common practice.

4 hours ago, Satsuki said:

I...really don't get your point here. The text speed setting for auto mode is there, as you mentioned. Whichever speed they put there as default setting really doesn't matter - it's probably just whatever the coder person found to be the most enjoyable, and players can just change it later to suit their needs.

The max speed, imo, is just an alternative for the skip function, since some games do not allow skipping unread texts.

You don't seem to have noticed that, for almost everything everywhere, the default setting can generally be considered what is considered (by the devs or whatever) the mean or 'normal' value for the population.

This information does have value. And if you encounter the same kind of default on most products, that gives this information even more value.

For exemple :

- if every time you have to re-set the gamma, you may need to question your screen setting or eyes.

- if every time you activate the auto read on VN with default speed you think it goes to quick, you may need to question if you are a slow reader... or if there's a trick linked to translation... no ?

30 minutes ago, Bredan said:

You don't seem to have noticed that, for almost everything everywhere, the default setting can generally be considered what is considered (by the devs or whatever) the mean or 'normal' value for the population.

This information does have value. And if you encounter the same kind of default on most products, that gives this information even more value.

For exemple :

- if every time you have to re-set the gamma, you may need to question your screen setting or eyes.

- if every time you activate the auto read on VN with default speed you think it goes to quick, you may need to question if you are a slow reader... or if there's a trick linked to translation... no ?

Yeah, actually in every single game that I play, the very first thing I do is always going to the setting and adjusting here and there.

"Normal" is a very subjective thing - in this particular case, I personally have no problem with the default text speed of most VN, so for me it's perfectly normal. Evidently, your and OP's normal is different than mine, and that's fine, but you can't really blame the game for that, that's just weird.

8 minutes ago, Satsuki said:

Yeah, actually in every single game that I play, the very first thing I do is always going to the setting and adjusting here and there.

"Normal" is a very subjective thing - in this particular case, I personally have no problem with the default text speed of most VN, so for me it's perfectly normal. Evidently, your and OP's normal is different than mine, and that's fine, but you can't really blame the game for that, that's just weird.

You don't seem to understand. That's not blaming or anything, it's a valuable information in and of itself : if what is considered normal for a populatin keeps not being suitable for you, it shows something. What you do with this information is up to you, whether it is 'blaming', 'wondering why', changing yourself or your settings, or even doing nothing of it.

1 hour ago, Bredan said:

You don't seem to understand. That's not blaming or anything, it's a valuable information in and of itself : if what is considered normal for a populatin keeps not being suitable for you, it shows something. What you do with this information is up to you, whether it is 'blaming', 'wondering why', changing yourself or your settings, or even doing nothing of it.

Not sure if you actually read my post, but again, "normal" is subjective. I can also say that since it's considered normal for a population, including me, but not for you, then it shows something and you need to change. The default setting is not there for weeding out "abnormal" people, it's just whatever the dev think it's right - and different devs have different ideas, and sometimes their ideas just happen to be different than your. 

So unless someone out there made a public poll of "is the default text speed too fast" and got overwhelming positive result, otherwise my opinion stays valid. After all, both you and I have zero idea about what the "population" actually think about this.

Edited by Satsuki