Installation Problems (SOLVED)

Writer4Hire

Hey, I've only just recently discovered Fuwanovel and it's free visual novels and I'm really excited to get into it. However, I'm no techie. I managed to download and play Fate Stay Night and Tsukihime just fine. But when I had to switch over to Japanese System local for Grisaia no Kajitsu I bumped into a problem. Basically, I didn't read the instructions and installed the game from "install" instead of "bootmenu", once it popped up on my desktop and nothing happened when I clicked on it, I found out my mistake, deleted it from the desktop (since "uninstall" didn't seem to do anything) and tried bootmenu. But it doesn't work. It or install. Instead, I just get this error message: 

C:/Users:WriterForHire/Downloads/[Fuwanovel] Grisaia no Kajitsu/1)

Install Grisaia no Kajitsu (run bootmenu.exe)/unist.exe

with some Japanese characters before the C and after the unist.exe. 

What should I do to fix this? I need to have it installed before I can go to the English patch, right? And for future reference, are all games that need Japanese system local need to be installed first from the bootmenu and then have the English patch installed after? 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Writer4Hire

Edit: Another thing, the pop up says DFN and a Japanese character at the top, if that helps any. 

1) What OS are you running on? (Windows XP/7/Vista/etc)

2) Can you take a screenshot of the error message so that we can see those japanese characters?

Anyway, you should try to delete the whole Grisaia folder where it's installed (not the one you downloaded, the one in Program Files or wherever you installed it), and then follow the instructions correctly. (Just deleting the icon on your desktop won't uninstall the thing)

And for future reference, are all games that need Japanese system local need to be installed first from the bootmenu and then have the English patch installed after? 

Not necessarily.

1. I have a Windows 8. It's a HP if that matters any. 

2. I don't know how. As I said, not much of a techie at all. But I definitely covered everything in the original post. 

Okay. So I used uTorrent in order to download it from Fuwanovel. I should delete the folder I got from uTorrent and then get a new one? I'll give that a try. 

Thanks for the help!

Writer4Hire

Okay. So I used uTorrent in order to download it from Fuwanovel. I should delete the folder I got from uTorrent and then get a new one? I'll give that a try. 

Ah, no, that's what I was trying to say: you can keep the folder you downloaded with uTorrent. The game should be installed elsewhere. 

That being said I don't know anything about Windows 8 and I never installed Grisaia, so I'm not sure I can help you further... I'll have to leave it to more experienced people.

I'll download it now on to my windows 8 machine and check, but we always recommend you move the finished download out of the folder it downloaded into, due to read-only issues with utorrent running.

To screenshot, I would recommend getting Puush (or you can use the windows 8 snipping tool (bring up start screen, type snipping, its there, then you need to upload it somewhere), if you use puush, you can right click the icon and choose to capture desktop.

ps: If you click on an error window and ctrl+c you can copy the content of that error window.

UPDATE: I have managed to install it on Windows 8 with no issues. Run bootmenu, this will all be in Japanese, just hit next till the end, you will get some pop ups just hit ok. Once this is done, run update from second folder, then translation patch.

Does anyone know the registry path for this game?

Oh. I always kept it within the folder and I just opened the folder and clicked the "Tsukihime" or "Fate Stay Night" and ran the application to play the visual novel. I didn't know I should have taken the folder out and let it install. The only time I actually had to install was this time, when Grisaia gave me that shortcut on my desktop that I later deleted. 

Originally, I managed to install it just fine. It was in Japanese and I went through the pop ups and pushed okay. But once it was done I tried to click on it and nothing happened (I didn't realize I needed to then download the English patch) so I deleted the shortcut on my computer. It was only afterwards that I read the Installation Instructions and realized that not only did I hit "install" instead of the "bootmenu" but I deleted it once it was installed when I only needed to go to the English Patch next. My problem is that I can't seem to get it installed again. If that is fixed, then I can go to the translation patch and everything will be fine. 

I decided to just undo it all. Delete the folder and the torrent and start fresh, following the instructions. 

If any problems come up I'll post again. 

As for downloading Puush for the screenshots, hopefully that won't be necessary. 

Edit: And all good. The redownloading did the trick. 

Thanks for all the help!