Princess Waltz - Android Port

qberty

Hey there, I know i'm not very active on these forums but I don't see a better place to post this than Fuwanovel!

As some people know i'm porting YMK to Android, it's going good but I also want to port Princess Waltz. Everything is all set up and ready to go, I just need some people or a person to help port over the scripts i've decrypted to my engine (0m3ga VN Engine).

I need a person that is willing to dedicate some time in to helping me port the scripts over (NO CODING/HACKING EXPERIENCE NEEDED). Now i'm not running a gag here, so you will be paid if need be. I want to get as many popular VN's on Android as possible (the android market for visual novels is slim to none).

If you aren't interested in porting this particular game, I offer the same offer but for any one of THESE games:

\ Amorous Professor Cherry

\ Bazooka Cafe

\ Chain

\ Come See Me Tonight

\ Come See Me Tonight 2

\ Cosplay Fetish Academy

\ Do You Like Horny Bunnies?

\ Do You Like Horny Bunnies Too?

\ Heart de Roommate

\ Hitozuma Hime Club ~ Secret Wives Club ~

\ Idols Galore!

\ Jewel Knights Crusaders

\ Kana ~Imouto~

\ Kana ~Okaeri~

\ Kango Shicyauzo

\ Kango Shicyauzo ~ Voice Plus! ~

\ Kango Shicyauzo 2 ~ Is The Sorority House Burning? ~

\ Let's Meow Meow!

\ Lightning Warrior Raidy

\ Pick Me, Honey!

\ Private Nurse

\ Salmon Pink

\ Slave Pageant

\ The Family Project

\ The Sagara Family

\ Tottemo Pheromone

\ Yuki Sakura

\ Virgin Roster

\ 77(Sevens) ~And, two stars meet again~

\ Erica

\ Four-leaf

\ Ina☆Koi! -Oinari-sama to Motemote no Tatari-

\ Ina☆Koi! Fandisc

\ Meri☆Chri ~Juu Nen Buri no White Christmas~

\ Magus Tale ~Sekaiju to Koisuru Mahoutsukai~

\ Magus Tale Infinity

\ Neko☆Koi! ~Nekogami-sama to Nekomimi no Tatari~

\ Oshiete Little Vampire

\ Suzukaze no Melt -Where wishes are drawn to each other-

\ Nu! Toraburu Shizune

\ Tohoujo Chugeki

\ Saki Mahjongg

\ Anonono

\ Critical Point

\ Enzai

\ Gibo

\ Little My Maid

\ Princess Waltz

\ Snow Drop

\ Under the Moon

\ Yume Miru Kusuri

\ Higurashi Fun 1.0

\ Katawa Shoujo

\ Sexual Fantasy Kingdom Vol.1

\ Sexual Fantasy Kingdom Vol.3

\ The Fucking Question 1.7

\ Hakuja no Togi (白蛇の伽)

\ Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

\ Kira ~ Snow Drop ~

\ Narcissu

\ Narcissu ~ Side 2nd ~

\ Natsu no Hi no Resonance

\ OMGWTFOTL

\ Tokoyo no Hoshizora

\ Tsukihime

\ Tsukihime Fun Disc - Kagetsu Tohya

\ Umineko no Naku Koro ni

\ Shuffle!

\ After... -Story Edition-

\ After Sweet Kiss

\ ARCANA ~Hikari to Yami noExtaxis~

\ Fault!!

\ Mitama ~Shinobi~

\ Reincarnation ☆ Shinsengumi!

\ Shinshou Genmukan

\ Sora no Iro, Mizu no Iro

\ Tokimeki Check-In!

\ X-Change

\ Sekai wo Seifuku Suru Tame no, 3tsu no Houhou

\ X-Change 3

\ Yin-Yang - X-Change Alternative

\ Cartagra

\ Death Note - Bound Prince

\ Kara no Shoujo

\ PP Pianissimo

\ Ever17 ~ the out of infinity ~

\ Memories Off 2nd

\ Never7 ~ the age of infinity ~

\ Ane Hara MIX

\ Ane Hara MIX 2

\ Aozora Gakko no Sensei-kun

\ Fate / Stay Night

\ Fate / Hollow Ataraxia

\ Hangyaku no Beretta

\ Hatsune Miku Visual Novel

\ Hina-chan no Himitsu

\ Kamen no Goumonshi

\ Neko no Hime

\ Pantsu wo Miseru koto, Sore ga... Daiuchuu no Hokori

\ Sorafune

\ Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

\ Touhou Pocket Wars

\ Touhou Pocket Wars EVO

\ Touhou Pocket Wars EVO+

Thanks for reading.

hey haven't seen you for a while qwerty

wondering what exactly needs to be done as 'script porter person'?

Well it's pretty simple. I give the porter the script files. In plain english, and they just have to re-input it in to another script so that my engine can read from it.

count me interested. i've been waiting to play shuffle! in my android

so how do I applied?

Not really much of an application process. The basic idea is, I completely hack/decompile a game. So in your case, shuffle!, and I give you the scripts for you to convert to a script that my engine can read. So the best way to learn what my engine can read, is by looking at the documentation @ http://vnengine.com/documentation.html

Everything is in english. The scripts that my engine uses, are extremely simple. Text/variable based. And if a visual novel has a specific feature (for example, having a character image move around or have a certain filter effect on a background image), I can easily code it in while keeping the scripts 100% compatible with every new version.

Once you make the script, it will be compatible with every OS that my engine is compatible with. SO, that'd be Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and even iOS (I was working on a PSP version, but i'd rather invest more time into the Vita).

Not really much of an application process. The basic idea is, I completely hack/decompile a game. So in your case, shuffle!, and I give you the scripts for you to convert to a script that my engine can read. So the best way to learn what my engine can read, is by looking at the documentation @ http://vnengine.com/documentation.html

Everything is in english. The scripts that my engine uses, are extremely simple. Text/variable based. And if a visual novel has a specific feature (for example, having a character image move around or have a certain filter effect on a background image), I can easily code it in while keeping the scripts 100% compatible with every new version.

Once you make the script, it will be compatible with every OS that my engine is compatible with. SO, that'd be Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and even iOS (I was working on a PSP version, but i'd rather invest more time into the Vita).

so in other words what i have to do is modify the original script one by one to make it compatible with the om3ga engine???

so in other words what i have to do is modify the original script one by one to make it compatible with the om3ga engine???

That's pretty much the most time consuming part, yeah. If I could have automated the process by converting the scripts programmatically then I wouldn't need to do the grunt work, but scripts for every VN is obviously formatted differently. So I'd have to go through them, line by line, which is definitely a hassle :/

The more people working on it, the faster it gets done. Since this isn't a job that you need skills for, I figured it'd be extremely quick and easy to port a bunch of VN's since i've gotten all the hard coding done.

That's pretty much the most time consuming part, yeah. If I could have automated the process by converting the scripts programmatically then I wouldn't need to do the grunt work, but scripts for every VN is obviously formatted differently. So I'd have to go through them, line by line, which is definitely a hassle :/

The more people working on it, the faster it gets done. Since this isn't a job that you need skills for, I figured it'd be extremely quick and easy to port a bunch of VN's since i've gotten all the hard coding done.

man i wish there are faster way to convert the script....

don't worry I'm not backing off :D

by the way what's the reason behind the VN list in the 1st post? I know that princess waltz use the same engine with yume miru kusuri, so what's the deal with the other VNs????

If I could have automated the process by converting the scripts programmatically then I wouldn't need to do the grunt work, but scripts for every VN is obviously formatted differently. So I'd have to go through them, line by line, which is definitely a hassle :/
For VNs on the same engine there shouldn't be much difference, so it would probably be worth the effort of developing a converter for that engine if there are MANY VNs using it.

man i wish there are faster way to convert the script....

don't worry I'm not backing off :D/>

by the way what's the reason behind the VN list in the 1st post? I know that princess waltz use the same engine with yume miru kusuri, so what's the deal with the other VNs????

For VNs on the same engine there shouldn't be much difference, so it would probably be worth the effort of developing a converter for that engine if there are MANY VNs using it.

Well to answer both statements, the VN list I compiled are visual novels that can be successfully decompiled by AnimED (the visual novel unpacker). The listed VN's are able to have their scripts decrypted so they can easily be ported to my engine.

The problem with multiple VN's on the same engine is for example Will Co's visual novel engine. Used for both Yume Miru Kusuri AND Princess Waltz. But the scripts cannot be easily converted because each visual novel has an updated version of the engine, so the script aren't predictable. YMK is simple. The scripts are full of garbage text and hex code but are still simple image and sound based lines. Princess Waltz on the other hand, even though using the same engine, has image zooming, sound volume manipulation, custom interface images on a chapter basis, a separate character image for a zoomed in version of each character, and the list goes on. So it's not simply a matter of making a converter for the engines script if each game that uses that engine, is formatted differently, or use different features. Plus Princess Waltz has a card game. A converter of scripts would crash.

So in the end, everything needs to be done line by line. But 1000 people doing 1 line would finish the conversion faster than 1 person doing 1000 lines. Hence the field work that is just time consuming lol.

Im interested in a few VN's on that list. Most Intriguing for me is Fate/Stay night. How difficult would this be?

The only hard part would be to extract the images,characters,voices,bgm,sound effects, and scripts from the game itself. Since there's some good tools that take care of that, it's not really a matter of difficulty. It's just how willing are you to dedicated some time converting the scripts of the game to scripts that my engine can read.

Let me give you an example. All a person would need to do here for any of these games is:

Take a script that looks like THIS:

H??H1_ba15Sdd?J,?#??siz_0021BKShizukaHey, I haven't finished with your hair...BLArataThanks for breakfast, sis!&%

pw055_1.oggAMDing-dong! Ding-Dong!???????&%

pw056_1.oggANDING! DONG!BOArataGaaaahhh! I'm coming already!III???t?FBG05_001hd?,H??H1_bc16Sdd?J,?#??siz_0022BPShizukaDon't rush. And watch out for that car.BQArataOkay, I will!III???t?FBLACKhd?,J?&%

And convert it to look like THIS:

[CHAR]+middle+shizuka+H1_BA15S

[VOICE]+SIZ_0021

[TEXT]+Shizuka+Hey, I haven't finished with your hair...

[TEXT]+Arata+Thanks for breakfast, sis!

[sOUNDFX]+now+PW055_1.ogg

[TEXT]+Ding-dong! Ding-Dong!

[sOUNDFX]+now+PW056_1.ogg

[TEXT]+DING! DONG!

[TEXT]+Arata+Gaaaahhh! I'm coming already!

[CHAR]+middle+shizuka+H1_BC16S

[VOICE]+SIZ_0022

[TEXT]+Shizuka+Don't rush. And watch out for that car.

[TEXT]+Arata+Okay, I will!

[FADEOUT]+black

Of course, that's the horribly decrypted script of Princess Waltz (Will Co's Engine scripts have not been properly decrypted, but plenty of other games have perfect 1:1 clean decryption without much garbage text). If you'd be converting a different game's scripts than the easyness factor is as good as the extractor you use to get the scripts from the game. That actual converting process as you can see is pretty straight forward.

from the sound of it. this sounds like a lot of work to do it manually. if you are doing it line by line... wouldn't it take the same amount of time to edit the lines in a fan translation? if the novel is 50000 lines, wouldn't that take up to a year?

from the sound of it. this sounds like a lot of work to do it manually. if you are doing it line by line... wouldn't it take the same amount of time to edit the lines in a fan translation? if the novel is 50000 lines, wouldn't that take up to a year?

Well actually no.If you want to think about it technically, this is very different from a fan translation. Most notably because a porter isn't actually translating anything. There's no real thought process or creativity involved. It's like building a car on an assembly line, not like copying a painting.

A person spends more milliseconds on deriving if their own translation of a line is plausible or not. A porter would literally need no thought process. It's a simple matter of following directions. Firstly, a porter would have to know every type of possible variation of data per line. Best way to do that, is by going through line by line. They see a line contains an image file, they don't have to think about it, they just copypasta in to the new script. Same goes for all the other types of elements that is possible for a line (chars,bgm,sfx,text).

So if you're saying that 50,000 lines would take up to a year:

31536000 / 50000 = (630/60) = 10 minutes per line.

Seeing as how you wouldn't be translating/porting all day everyday. Say you spend 3 hours a day, for 3 days of the week, So:

32400 * 52 = 1684800 seconds a year you spend translating/porting.

1684800/50000 = 33 seconds a line for translations.

From my experience, i've been able to PORT YMK line by line at about 4 seconds per line. SO:

4 * 50000 = 200000 seconds. Spreading that out over a course of a week:

200000 / 32400 = 6

6 as in 6 weeks. So about 3 months to do 50,000 lines of porting versus translating the same lines in a years time.

Sorry about the chaos math, of course it is all a rough estimate (this is of course, just for a single person doing it line by line. You add another person, and the variables fly off the handle and it becomes pretty doable. Just painstaking.). Alternatively, I could have just said porting is faster but I always seem to feel like I need to explain myself. :P

In my opinion, I think it's pretty worth it considering how porters + consumers benefit from it. Financially, apps are the new software on the go. People prefer it. More privacy, and more control. For a porter, i'm offering a percentage on any of the paid game ports. If the porter decides to do it for free, than I cannot sell the port of course.

Especially when stuff isn't properly decrypted - working with something like that will give you major headaches because you have to constantly make out boundaries and filter stuff accordingly.

You can most likely count me in for fate/stay night.

F/SN is a major project with a word count just short of being 7 digits only counting text. Not to discourage you, of course it would be awesome to have it on a multi-platform engine - just a word of warning.

Well actually no.If you want to think about it technically, this is very different from a fan translation. Most notably because a porter isn't actually translating anything. There's no real thought process or creativity involved. It's like building a car on an assembly line, not like copying a painting.

A person spends more milliseconds on deriving if their own translation of a line is plausible or not. A porter would literally need no thought process. It's a simple matter of following directions. Firstly, a porter would have to know every type of possible variation of data per line. Best way to do that, is by going through line by line. They see a line contains an image file, they don't have to think about it, they just copypasta in to the new script. Same goes for all the other types of elements that is possible for a line (chars,bgm,sfx,text).

... (maths and stuff)

Doing grunt work is a major pain in the ass and makes one burn out very very soon, there's nothing worse than literally just copy-pasting over and over and over.

Doing grunt work is a major pain in the ass and makes one burn out very very soon, there's nothing worse than literally just copy-pasting over and over and over.

I totally agree. Though, would you rather get paid for it, confirming that it will be done at all? Versus no good VN's on Android, for free. lol

Though, Google Play has this new feature for top developers (i've had access to it for quite some time), and it allows you to submit an entire app for professional translation into multiple languages. Now, if we can get games ported properly, I don't mind shelling out for an easier way to get visual novels in different languages. Especially fast paced.

Also, in regards to fate stay night, from what I see, the script is VNDS readable. If I integrated a VNDS interpreter into my engine... well then some VN's wouldn't even need porting. Anyone know of where I can find some documentation on VNDS?

I totally agree. Though, would you rather get paid for it, confirming that it will be done at all? Versus no good VN's on Android, for free. lol

Also, in regards to fate stay night, from what I see, the script is VNDS readable. If I integrated a VNDS interpreter into my engine... well then some VN's wouldn't even need porting.

Well I won't commit to something too time-consuming anyway as I don't want to neglect development on the site, but I guess monetary compensation should be enough to get some people to work on ports.

VNDS integration would of course be a very sweet addition, especially in order to avoid this - I love seeing all those VN engines get made, but it's important to not spread development resources too thin in the community. Just reminded me that there's someone doing something very similar, hit up lolgc (Twitter, Forum) if you haven't already.

Well I won't commit to something too time-consuming anyway as I don't want to neglect development on the site, but I guess monetary compensation should be enough to get some people to work on ports.

VNDS integration would of course be a very sweet addition, especially in order to avoid this - I love seeing all those VN engines get made, but it's important to not spread development resources too thin in the community. Just reminded me that there's someone doing something very similar, hit up lolgc (Twitter, Forum) if you haven't already.

Well VN Engines are only as good if they have a commercial backing. Which my engine will, but also be publicly available. Since it's not a race to see who can create the most efficient engine, it's more over just being about which one has the most features, and is the easiest to use while still having a candy UI. But i'm determined to make sure as many markets get to play a visual novel as possible.

I mean, it's different from just a simple fan translation where it's just a group translating into one language. Being universal is great as long as it doesn't wreck the quality. So far, I barely find quality in todays engines.

Thank you. Infact, the scripting isn't all that bad (http://digital-haze.net/files/vnds/script_format.txt). I think I can make my engine read VNDS :D Never heard of a VN engine that could read multiple types of engines but VNDS and Ren'py sound like good candidates.

add kirikiri support and it will be close to perfect

Well if you can find me documentation on it's scripts than for sure I'll add it. I'm starting to like the idea of an engine that can read all script formats. Hell, maybe even design it to allow meshing, so that multiple people that know those engines can port together regardless of the scripting language they use. Having an engine that accepts multiple script formats might also intrigue people to port more VN's to android.

If you can find me docs of script engines than I can just integrate them into my engine instead of having to port every game all the time.

i just think that for ports like this it needs to be done with an algorithm instead of by-hand, especially if you have several dozen games that could be ported. im sure it must be possible to identify almost all the tags in the old scripts to be formatted for the new engine. I'm not exactly VN engine literate, but this kind of work should just be computed. you shouldn't have to do 50k lines worth of copy pasting for every single android port.