Visual novels on Windows 8

Asomekastt

Windows has this thing about not letting programs mess around in Program Files (at this point you are free to say "wat"), so if you have it in C:\Program Files (or localized equivalent name) you might want to move it to somewhere else (I suggest going a head and making the folder C:\VNs 'cause it looks all neat and pro).

It's possible Luch's suggestion will also fix this for the same reasons.

One of the most common reasons is that the folder is set to read-only.

Right click the folder, select properties, uncheck read-only, click apply and apply to all subfolders and files.

Thank you! It worked for a few but not all :(/>

Windows has this thing about not letting programs mess around in Program Files (at this point you are free to say "wat"), so if you have it in C:\Program Files (or localized equivalent name) you might want to move it to somewhere else (I suggest going a head and making the folder C:\VNs 'cause it looks all neat and pro).

It's possible Luch's suggestion will also fix this for the same reasons.

Great idea, I couldn't find them after installation unless I checked the date added, so simple I overlooked it. I usually left them in download folder. but would your suggestion mess with it being playable or not? I've seen post of VN's being unplayable because of people change the install location.

Edit: It seems that changing the 'read only' setting fixes the problem if you see an icon as the application. (Ex: clicking on firefox and seeing the fox as opposed to seeing an exe template.) By not having a icon next to the application of the game, would that suggest a download error? I had a similar error while trying to play Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~My girlfriend is the President.~ it was fixed by downloading the application the would register with an icon on my pc.

Moving it will break installs if they rely on registry and can't into checking the current directory as well, prepatched is another matter and depends on whether you had to run .bat files. If you did, you probably have to run them again. It's possible that this will leave a bit of a mess in the registry, but symphonic rain worked with two values for a registry entry thingy at least. If worried, there's always the option to move it back.