Worth going back and playing Da Capo 1 & 2?

voidpointer

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Uh, with a lot of shoddy memory and nonsensical plotpoints I never understood, the relevant bits from Da Capo I are as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

That island has a magical cherry blossom that blossoms perpetually. It, and the rest of the cherry blossoms, do so so long as they retain their magic, and their magic grants wishes wished upon it.

A lot of the routes have something to do with this magic, but what's relevant in Da Capo II and forward is Sakura's route.
Essentially, the lass made a wish to always remain as Jun'iichi remembered, before going on an overseas trip, so now she looks like a child when she comes back.
There's other details to it but honestly, I don't even remember them. Surely they're not important. If you grasp these basic concepts everything should be tickety-boo for the next game. Just know that the protagonist married Asakura Nemu in the canon for the next game.

Other relevant details is that the protagonist has the power to enter other peoples' dreams, and produce Japanese confectionery out of thin air.

And will reading this spoil anything in DC2 in any way? I'm nervous about that. Maybe I should wait to finish DC2 before I read your description...

1 minute ago, voidpointer said:

And will reading this spoil anything in DC2 in any way? I'm nervous about that. Maybe I should wait to finish DC2 before I read your description...

All I have revealed are things you learn in Da Capo I, and that therefore will not ruin your experience in 2, though they may alter it.

It is entirely possible to play, and comprehend, 2 without 1. There's some stuff in 2 that plays with preconceptions 1 formed, but even without those it works just fine.

1 hour ago, Mr Poltroon said:

All I have revealed are things you learn in Da Capo I, and that therefore will not ruin your experience in 2, though they may alter it.

It is entirely possible to play, and comprehend, 2 without 1. There's some stuff in 2 that plays with preconceptions 1 formed, but even without those it works just fine.

Thanks, your confirmation that 1 doesn't impact 2 is reassuring. Unfortunately, DC3 felt lacking without DC2, simply because there are some flashbacks to what I assume is DC2 but I don't quite understand it.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2017 at 3:35 PM, Mr Poltroon said:

Uh, with a lot of shoddy memory and nonsensical plotpoints I never understood, the relevant bits from Da Capo I are as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

That island has a magical cherry blossom that blossoms perpetually. It, and the rest of the cherry blossoms, do so so long as they retain their magic, and their magic grants wishes wished upon it.

A lot of the routes have something to do with this magic, but what's relevant in Da Capo II and forward is Sakura's route.
Essentially, the lass made a wish to always remain as Jun'iichi remembered, before going on an overseas trip, so now she looks like a child when she comes back.
There's other details to it but honestly, I don't even remember them. Surely they're not important. If you grasp these basic concepts everything should be tickety-boo for the next game. Just know that the protagonist married Asakura Nemu in the canon for the next game.

Other relevant details is that the protagonist has the power to enter other peoples' dreams, and produce Japanese confectionery out of thin air.

Sorry to revive this post after such a long time, but believe it or not I'm still trying to finish DC2 (Granted I don't get a lot of free time, but damn, 7 routes is a lot and it feels like it will never end). I'm currently wrapping up Otome's route and the others I finished (apparently Sakura is the 7th and final route, if so that's the only other one I have left to play).

Having finished DC3, and having almost finished DC2, I have a question:

Spoiler

Why is the protagonist in each of the 3 games able to 1) see dreams and 2) conjure deserts? This is pretty consistent, but so far I haven't seen an explanation for it. It would be my luck though if the ending of DC2 explains this (I haven't finished the game yet). Also it doesn't seem like each of the 3 protagonists are related to each other, so it can't be some family inheritance type thing. Is it just some arbitrary plot device?

1 minute ago, voidpointer said:

Sorry to revive this post after such a long time, but believe it or not I'm still trying to finish DC2 (Granted I don't get a lot of free time, but damn, 7 routes is a lot and it feels like it will never end). I'm currently wrapping up Otome's route and the others I finished (apparently Sakura is the 7th and final route, if so that's the only other one I have left to play).

Having finished DC3, and having almost finished DC2, I have a question:

Reveal hidden contents

Why is the protagonist in each of the 3 games able to 1) see dreams and 2) conjure deserts? This is pretty consistent, but so far I haven't seen an explanation for it. It would be my luck though if the ending of DC2 explains this (I haven't finished the game yet). Also it doesn't seem like each of the 3 protagonists are related to each other, so it can't be some family inheritance type thing. Is it just some arbitrary plot device?

If I am to be completely honest, I am half convinced those traits are merely series legacy.

Spoiler

On the matter of sweets, protagonist in II learnt from protagonist in I. and as for protagonist in III, it seems he made up the power himself.

Dreaming is likely something to link all three games together. I haven't finished three (and technically not two, either), so I can't be completely certain.

• 5 years later...
On 5/21/2017 at 9:58 AM, Mr Poltroon said:

If I am to be completely honest, I am half convinced those traits are merely series legacy.

Hide contents

On the matter of sweets, protagonist in II learnt from protagonist in I. and as for protagonist in III, it seems he made up the power himself.

Dreaming is likely something to link all three games together. I haven't finished three (and technically not two, either), so I can't be completely certain.

Yes as you said, Yoshiyuki from Da Capo II learned it from Junichi from Da Capo I. The protagonist from Da Capo III was the original creator of the Wagashi Creating spell since the main story takes place far in the past before Da Capo I even. Kiyotaka and Ricca Yoshino were the grandparents of Sakura and Junichi of the original Da Capo VN,  were the ones who originally planted that Everlasting Sakura Tree that grants wishes, and Ricca aka Granny Yoshino taught Kiyotaka's spell to create Wagashi to Junichi. So, in all honesty Da Capo III sets the stage for Da Capo I in a very big way.

Personally I started with Da Capi 1 and to be honest, despite all the translation irregularities and dated graphics due to it being such an old game, I actually found it quite enjoyable. The story was actually interesting and so was the soundtrack. Yeah even the characters were pretty good and it gives us a firm foundation in the Da Capi universe.