Problematic files/scripts with "Snow Sakura"

Slynch

Hello! Nice community you have here! :)

So I'm trying to decompile the VN "Snow Sakura", but have hit a snag. You see, I cannot find any tools to decompile the script files; nor do I even know which files are the script files since they are not stored in plaintext!

I'm posting here as a sort of Hail Mary and hoping for the best... So there are two files called "data" and "ISF". I figure ISF contains scene data ("Interactive Scene File"? idk) and data contains the text. So I decompile these archives using "pyge", and ISF spews out, oddly enough, lots of ISF files with no meaningful names or file headers.

"data" just contains a bunch of binary files with no meaningful names, but they do possess a common first three bytes: "BM8" and it varies from "BM80" to " BM8' " depending on the file.

I have tried arc_conv, AE, and I still cannot disassemble these files!

If anyone can help I'd be most appreciative! Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Kelebek1 said:

What is it you want from them? Just the text?

Yes! I just extracted the "data" file using Crass, but I think it just contains animation data for transitions between scenes. So it must be the ISF files that contain the text :)

EDIT: I found this thread, which has useful information but I can't seem to get any of it working :(

Edited by Slynch

2 minutes ago, Kelebek1 said:

They do, but it's an annoying format that's pretty difficult to automatically extract without putting a bunch of time in to map out the format, which I don't think I want to do... :x

I'm mainly (or exclusively) interested in the strings themselves; I don't need to reassemble them, nor do I need the entire script data. I just need to rip all the strings, which CryingWestern seemed to have done, but I can't replicate how he did it :(

Alright, I went through, and here: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/myonl5e05v0aqxo/SnowSakura.rar

Like I said though, I can't guarantee 100% accuracy that every single string is in there since I didn't fully decompile the script or anything, just did a very quick basic check. I've looked through a bunch of them randomly and can't see any missing, so I hope they're nearly all ok. If you find some messed up or missing though, yeah, sorry. Hopefully someone else can do them all properly.

10 minutes ago, Kelebek1 said:

Alright, I went through, and here: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/myonl5e05v0aqxo/SnowSakura.rar

Like I said though, I can't guarantee 100% accuracy that every single string is in there since I didn't fully decompile the script or anything, just did a very quick basic check. I've looked through a bunch of them randomly and can't see any missing, so I hope they're nearly all ok. If you find some messed up or missing though, yeah, sorry. Hopefully someone else can do them all properly.

You're a superstar! Ta muchly! I'll need to go through the strings and sort them by character and order and such, but this still saves me a ton of time! :) 

8 minutes ago, Slynch said:

You're a superstar! Ta muchly! I'll need to go through the strings and sort them by character and order and such, but this still saves me a ton of time! :) 

Mmm yeah that's not immediately obvious, in regards to names. Is there a character list anywhere?

Mmm yeah that's not immediately obvious, in regards to names. Is there a character list anywhere?

https://vndb.org/v71/chars#chars

But I've played through the game a million times, I'm surprised I don't know the dialogue from memory by now...! So putting a name to strings shouldn't be too difficult; just tedious.

39 minutes ago, Slynch said:

https://vndb.org/v71/chars#chars

But I've played through the game a million times, I'm surprised I don't know the dialogue from memory by now...! So putting a name to strings shouldn't be too difficult; just tedious.

There were a tonne more than that. :P Went through all of them though and added all the names. Narration lines are left nameless, since it seemed a bit weird to list them as "Narration." Same download link as before, so try downloading again.

21 minutes ago, Kelebek1 said:

There were a tonne more than that. :P Went through all of them though and added all the names. Narration lines are left nameless, since it seemed a bit weird to list them as "Narration." Same download link as before, so try downloading again.

Sir, frankly, I love you. Now all I need to do is put scene to string and write a quick parser. I was thinking it checks the first word and if it ends in ":" and matches a character's name, it does the appropriate text colouring/frame naming to that character. Else, it must be narrative and has no name :)

Thank you very much!

4 minutes ago, Slynch said:

Sir, frankly, I love you. Now all I need to do is put scene to string and write a quick parser. I was thinking it checks the first word and if it ends in ":" and matches a character's name, it does the appropriate text colouring/frame naming to that character. Else, it must be narrative and has no name :)

Thank you very much!

If you're going to parse it I can add Narration in for you if it makes it easier?

If you're going to parse it I can add Narration in for you if it makes it easier?

Do you mean like how each character has "Name:", there would be "Narration:"? Because that shouldn't be necessary, but thanks for the offer! :) 

Had a quick read of the source code out of curiosity. Some tips:

• In ChangeLine(), the check should be newLine >= script.size(), not just >.
  • You can do str == "literal" instead of str == std::string("literal").
  • For the various .txt files, why not read the file until the end instead of requiring the author to write the number of lines on the first line?
  • Instead of having .txt files listing names of files and folders (e.g. characters), why not just scan the folders?
  • Last but not least, why no unicode support?

Also, is it really alright for you to place copyrighted artwork of a commercial game on Github? :P

17 minutes ago, frc_ said:

Had a quick read of the source code out of curiosity. Some tips:

• In ChangeLine(), the check should be newLine >= script.size(), not just >.
  • You can do str == "literal" instead of str == std::string("literal").
  • For the various .txt files, why not read the file until the end instead of requiring the author to write the number of lines on the first line?
  • Instead of having .txt files listing names of files and folders (e.g. characters), why not just scan the folders?
  • Last but not least, why no unicode support?

Also, is it really alright for you to place copyrighted artwork of a commercial game on Github? :P

Thank you for your tips! I've read and addressed them below :) 

The script size check isn't even necessary for now since all scripts get terminated before eof is reached :)

The std::string() is to stop my compiler whining when compiling.

The line count at the top of the text files; it's messy and annoying for the author, but I plan on making SDK tools for these to ease development of these parts :D 

Scanning folders can get your program looking iffy to virus scanners :( 

And you're right, I really should have unicode support; not too difficult to fix :) 

And no, I shouldn't really have the resources on Github; I've got numerous ideas on how to get around this but I've yet to implement one!

Cheers!

(sorry for any typos: answered on phone!)