Dharker Studios is planning to make 8 games this year?

jetpack003

Ah yes, Echo Tokyo.  I backed the first Kickstarter back before it became obvious how horrible AJTilley/Dharker Studios is.  I don't remember all the "issues" that came up, but here are the ones I remember.  At first it was going to be a large sandbox VN with a manga prequel.  The first problem was that the artist he had hired took a large amount of money and just disappeared.  This, if I remember correctly prompted the second Kickstarter.  His next artist couldn't meet deadlines, but because he liked the artist's works so much he just kept giving the guy more time.  He then decided the game should be split into two parts in hopes that the first part could be out before 2020 and then made them one again, and split them again, and merged again, etc.  He eventually decided to get other artists to make the secondary characters and then had problems with one of those artists.  Next he converted the manga into the horrible Echo Tokyo Intro VN on Steam to try and milk some money.  Finally about 3 months ago he finally decided that there was no way he could currently make the game and offered refunds as a "someday, many years from now, I will make this game as it is one that I am really passionate about.  Those of you who stay will get the game, but for those of you who are tired of waiting I offer a way out."  I took my refund gladly, so I have no idea what has happened since.  Funny how fast these "many years" passed.  It feels like 3 months.

Just now, finiteHP said:

At first it was going to be a large sandbox VN with a manga prequel.

That's the first problem. If he sought to make a 'large sandbox' anything, he drastically underestimated how much content would be needed. Because of this, I'm unsurprised he later tried to split the game into two parts, and later gave up.

The artist running off with money is a pretty common tale in VN indie development.