Final Fantasy XV - demo out

orochinagi

So... there's supposedely a demo out (haven't checked it yet) and there's some game footage now...

Can only say i'm impressed with summons (spoiler below for those who want to see it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3N_cAiwhWw

Kotaku already has some stuff about how the demo plays...

I played it like two days ago~  I think I have mixed feelings about it so far, but I'd still be willing to buy/give the full game a try once it comes out since I've tended to love all the FF games. I just didn't like FF13, so probably why I'm a bit hesitant of their future releases.

First Impression:  Woooww~~ what amazing graphics! It looks so real, felt like I was watching FF: Advent Children even while playing.  The battle really does kinda reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. So it's not a turn-based battle system, but a real-time action adventure RPG.  I think the main char looks cool^^ love his black hair, light eyes appearance.

What I'm bummed about:

-Doesn't seem like you get full control over the other characters, only can use the main character.

-No Magic? Every action requires MP use, such as defending/techniques, and warping. The main char has a warping sword that teleports him to where he throws it instantly, and his weapons change when he attacks (depending on combo setup of weapons, I think?)  ...but it's not really magic.  There's summoning..but, I don't think it's the same and don't rly like the requirements to use it (character HP->0).

-Giant Map, Lots of walking (if anyone's played DA3, exploration is similar..quest selection for marker on map)... No compass, omg ugh..so I had to keep opening up map to see where I was.

-All male characters. I wonder if they'll have any female allies to switch in, or if it's only these 4 characters throughout the game (that may be kinda boring).

-Hordes of monsters, being messy jumping around all over the screen, taking a long time to take them all out... I hope they will give better AOE skills or something in the actual full game since there's no aoe magic to handle hordes of mobs better... the only sword skills available were mostly limited to single enemies and so it can take awhile to take them all out.

-After dying/game over, restart at a checkpoint..have to re-watch a cutscene over, can't skip.

--That's my thoughts about the demo part at least and what was available. Maybe the full game will address some of the problems I thought about it.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/22/final-fantasy-xv-will-feel-like-group-guys-going-road-trip/

Also

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/10/02/final-fantasy-xv-wont-let-change-characters-battle/

On the one hand 'road trip with my bros' doesn't exactly capture the majesty one would expect from a FF plot, on the other hand good action RPGs are few and far between so I'll probably get one of my friends to buy it and play it at their place.

Squeenix seems to be very over-reactionary to customer complaints, I mean let's look at their recent decisions

FF13 comes out

Fans: It's too linear! All the characters but Fang are horrible!

Square: Alright let's make a super open-ended game and... wait who was Fang? Was she the female Cloud? No? The loli? No? Oh she must have been that other loli (Serah). Okay we'll make a game about her.

FF13-2 comes out

Fans: Well the open-endedness was good but... oh God the characters! Why? Could you please give us an FF with a main character we like?

Square: Well obviously that means a game about Lightning.

FF13-3 comes out

Fans: WHY ARE YOU SO HORRIBLE AT FEMALE CHARACTERS!!?

Square: Oh, okay, we'll make our next FF a sausage-fest then

Fans: As long as Cid has boobs!

Square: Your wish is our command.