Endless Legend

Ariurotl

I'm currently wasting ridiculous amounts of time on this game. It's everything I wanted from a 4X, including some things I didn't know I wanted from a 4X. Sure, it borrows very heavily from Civ, but I love the direction they took with it. Everything is a lot less clunky, mechanics are streamlined without getting dumbed down too much, resource management is infinitely more sensible, and the fact that it's set in a curious mix of high fantasy, low fantasy and sci-fi world, and therefore not tied down by ostensible realism of Civ, allowed them to cater to pretty much every gameplay style.

It is still rather bugged and unstable though, plus the AI is a mess and faction balance is questionable at best, but it looks like patches are on the way that will hopefully fix that. A really great game nonetheless.

I would recommend waiting for a bit though, until they fix some of the more pressing problems. It's notoriously unstable on some systems (not on mine though). People have been reporting crashes every 2-3 turns, on my system I regularly get a CTD every 200-300 turns (more often on bigger maps), but the game autosaves every turn, so it's mostly been a non-issue for me.

Looks like no one else is playing it, oh well.

Here's a fun custom faction I've done. Took Roving Clans as a base (for their moveable cities), added the Cultists' OP conversion mechanic, big armies and fast travel, and offset it by adding every possible negative resource-related trait.

6SLUPRs.jpg

The end result is a Mongol horde-like faction that is terrible at resource-gathering and makes up for it with army size and taking "tribute" from minor factions. I'd have added the "once city only" mechanic from Cultists, too, but sadly it's faction-locked.