Persona 4 Ending Discussion *Major Spoilers*

Stray Cat

So as I'm approaching the end of my second play-through of Persona 4 (Golden this time) I started thinking about the ending and how I feel about some of the characters and was wondering how everyone else saw things.  MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW

So the easiest way to phrase this question is, do you really thing Adachi was evil.  I considered him to be moderately, especially after watching the anime but after playing Golden and thinking about it I don't really think he was.  

When I think about it, Adachi is someone whose shadow took over and acted on the deepest darkest desires of their heart.  I'm sure that somewhere in his subconscious he thought about killing people but would he have really acted upon these urges if he was not possessed by Ameno-Sagiri.  Is he just the result of say someone like Yosuke giving into his shadow and letting it do as it pleases due to the take-over or was he really a murderous psychopath.  After being rescued and especially after Dojima sent him the stretcher you could tell he felt extreme guilt about the crimes that he had committed and he even tries to help the protagonist figure out the true meaning behind it all.  Now I by no means am implying that feeling guilt exempts one from a crime but I'm wondering if there isn't an underlying factor behind it all. 

So what's your view; Is Adachi a murderous psychopath or a victim caught up in a mess beyond his comprehension?  At his core is he good or evil?  What are your thoughts?

From my personal perspective I don't think that Adachi was being possessed by Ameno Sagiri right away. He only took hold of Adachi when he ran away to the Shadow world. So you could say that he did those killings while still being himself. I personally think of him as a coward rather than a psychopath because he could only kill through the TV, he wasn't able to do the dirty work himself. He didn't relish on the act of killing itself but rather what happened if you were thrown in the TV.

No, I think Adachi was in full control of his actions. Some of the things he did were evil, and he was to an extent insane, but if you maxed his Social Link you know he himself isn't totally bad (but then who is?), he's just darker than most. Really Adachi's SL was one of the things I loved most in Golden. That and Marie... and being able to use your night time... and the ultimate personas which were fucking broken (looking at you Rise)... and that extra two months of time. I just listed 70% of the new content in Golden.... 

Obligatory ellipses....

No, I think Adachi was in full control of his actions. Some of the things he did were evil, and he was to an extent insane, but if you maxed his Social Link you know he himself isn't totally bad (but then who is?), he's just darker than most. Really Adachi's SL was one of the things I loved most in Golden. That and Marie... and being able to use your night time... and the ultimate personas which were fucking broken (looking at you Rise)... and that extra two months of time. I just listed 70% of the new content in Golden.... 

Obligatory ellipses....

I disagree and they say he was possessed but at what point and to what degree is not clear.  I agree, his social link is the best part of Golden for me (and the fact that you choose what skills Persona's pass on).  I feel like Golden put a lot of effort in to trying to take some of the blame off of him and make him a more likable character (and more of a victim) then the original and for me anyway I think they were successful.  I always thought the fact that he didn't have a social link was a huge giveaway in the original so I'm also glad they fixed that mistake. I'm hoping more will be revealed in Persona 4 Ultimax considering he gets a whole story.

Also, I'm just going to put this here because only people who've played Persona 4 will get it.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKciKVkUp1o