Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
俊 (Jun)

PSO2 - Phantasy Star Online 2

So, I'm now past Chapter 3 and my God, what a combination of esoteric anime BS that has been. What makes it funny/weird is that the game doesn't know how to commit to its own brand of space magic. It suddenly introduces a planet of samurai giants, which is okay by itself, but also places two deities there that are completely outside of the established rules of the universe and get no real explanation. And it wouldn't even be hard to tie everything together, it would just need some conscious effort. I know most people don't care about consistency as much as pedantic nerds such as myself, but when you build this kind of complex universe with hours upon hours of story cutscenes, why not utilize it properly?

...and then the game transitions into some kind of meta-chapter with alternate-universe Earth where PSO2 is a full-dive VR game... And the introductory missions are obnoxious AF, with some rando high school girl being the new focus of the story. Why? We have a massive starfleet fighting space Satan, why do we need a Japanese high school in this with stupid student council drama??? :notlikemiya:

Maybe it will get better...

Ok, I kind of have to give it back to Episode 4. While I still don't give a fuck about the schoolgirl and her internal struggle and I think the Earth setting was mostly created for the anime tie-in, after a few turns the lore became quite interesting and I ended up fighting God. Like, not some god, THE God. Didn't expect that, and it was a ballsy move in a way. Overall Episode 4 is like 3/5, but had enough cool touches to make the whole thing enjoyable. ^^

On the gameplay side of things, leveling kind of hits a wall after lvl 85, but I don't mind. I'm leveling an elite class (Luster) as my subclass now and the bonuses it gives are insane. It's going to be fun experimenting with this in the future.