Running applications without changing locales (using a Virtual Machine)

dale

Hi, 

I didn't see any topic that said it's possible. 

I don't usually change my locale settings to play VNs. 

Usually since this is not a perfect solution but works a lot better then applocale (for now only 2 VNs didn't work like I wanted but they worked). 

The trick is to use a virtual machine (vm) installed on your system. 

Mostly VNs don't require a lot from the machine so it's possible to run a vm on low specs. 

For most VNs a machine with 1GB ram is ok. 

If anyone would be interested on how to do it just reply here and I'll write a guide.

I'm interested.

Virtual machine can use a different operating system than the one running on my laptop right?

This would solve many problems such as compatibility issues as well as this local thingy.

I causes issue for some characters not appearing properly and peripherics have trouble adapting too.

If you have time i'd be really pleased if you did.

PS: I'm gonna call you the tech guy.

I had the same problem with some old games crashing in windows 7 before.

It is completely possible as long as you have the right hardware available.

I recommend at least a 2 core processor with Intel VT-x, or AMD-V extension support,

at least 4Gigs of ram and 50Gigs of hard disk space

As for the software, VirtualBox is the best free VM that I know.

If you have the cash, then choose VMWare Workstation (not affordable really).

VirtualBox is the one I've used in the past (and Bootcamp when I had my filthy Apple product). I mostly used it to run Ubuntu on my Windows PCs because I was too lazy to partition my hard drive instead. I, however, can't work out what the problem is here? Like, why do you need VMs to play the games? Do they have weird hardware requirements, or so some of them only work in earlier operating systems (XP and earlier)?

Some games don't work correctly on Windows 7+, I have several apps that I don't want to use with Japanese non-unicode settings since the UI gets translated and rebooting each time i change them is a pain. 

I user VMPlayer since I have a server with ESXi where I create VMs. 

Some games don't work correctly on Windows 7+, I have several apps that I don't want to use with Japanese non-unicode settings since the UI gets translated and rebooting each time i change them is a pain.

I user VMPlayer since I have a server with ESXi where I create VMs. 

Why not just use Locale Emulator? Works perfectly for me, even for installations.