Pop up errors when starting a game

rei-chan52

I'm assuming you are on a mac, it looks like it's having trouble reading japanese characters. Japanese characters are encoded in UTF-8 (shift-JIS) and I assume your computer is attempting to read it in ASCII. (Hence it returns you unreadable garbage). I don't actually know why it's doing that, since I assumed changing locale to japanese should of solved that, I'll ask around.

Edit:

Are you running the games through a virtual machine that has a different locale set up?

I'm assuming you are on a mac, it looks like it's having trouble reading japanese characters. Japanese characters are encoded in UTF-8 (shift-JIS) and I assume your computer is attempting to read it in ASCII. (Hence it returns you unreadable garbage). I don't actually know why it's doing that, since I assumed changing locale to japanese should of solved that, I'll ask around.

Edit:

Are you running the games through a virtual machine that has a different locale set up?

I assume you run it under wine under x-window. Macs don't have locales in the same way, and they don't affect the locale of the windows wine-bottle, so you have to configure the wine-bottle to Japanese locale and install necessary fonts.

I don't think that its possible to change the locale on Wine. I did change the locale on my computer to the Japanese Locale. Is there a Japanese version of Wine?

I don't own a mac but test this

1. Download a Japanese font and place it in C:\Windows\Fonts (maybe different location on different Windows versions) in your wine bottle
  2. Run regedit in wine add the String value ja_JP on HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
  3. Restart wine and xquartz/xwindow or what you run wine under