Compilation of Implementable Ideas for Fuwanovel.org

kIGjT.jpg

This is a list of all of the ideas to improve the website. I wanted to put all the ideas in one place so that people can tackle them if they want to. contact me ([email protected])

1) A 'Submit your news' feature on the frontpage of Fuwan. [thread]

2) A way to stream the latest forums posts onto the frontpage. [thread]

3) User Submitted Reviews. [thread]

4) SEO—Google Search Optimisation.

5) A Search Page. See prototype1 and prototype2 can advance search/sort by genre tags. (Vax has started)

6) Redirect beta site to main site (fuwanovel.net/fuwa_beta —> fuwanovel.net) (Vax Completed)

7) Everyone-Can-Edit field (ilegend doing this)— ilegend: also if it can stream onto the side. (partly implemented) (ilegend Completed)

8) Stream the last 2 replies in a forums thread and post it on the download page (....for example... The Official Little Busters Thread <---- grab the last 1 or two replies and live-update it onto the Little busters page?)

9) Show All-Ages Only sorting option on the browse page.

10) Make genre tags clickable (see image). This is related to 5.

11) Create Github for coding fuwan

12) Put a link from the download page to a corresponding forums thread on the forums. (e.g. a link to the little busters thread from the little busters page). Related to or superceded by 8.

13) VNTLS Scraper (romme is doing this)—http://vntls.tindabox.net/rss (Romme completed)

14) Spritechan.org [thread]

Also if you have any suggestions, please add them. Also these ideas can be improved upon. theyre not necessarily final.

Edited by Vax
Update

8) Stream the last 2 replies in a forums thread and post it on the download page (....for example... The Official Little Busters Thread <---- grab the last 1 or two replies and live-update it onto the Little busters page?)

12) Put a link from the download page to a corresponding forums thread on the forums. (e.g. a link to the little busters thread from the little busters page). Related to or superceded by 8.

I really like these ideas. But 1) and 3) will need someone to moderate them. Sometimes the forum get spam messages, but with this system they could be on the front page!

Having the community getting involved would be really nice though, and I'm supporting these ideas !

5) A Search Page. See prototype1 and prototype2 can advance search/sort by genre tags.

I don't see any reason to object, these would make navigation much easier !

6) Redirect beta site to main site (fuwanovel.net/fuwa_beta —> fuwanovel.net)

7) Everyone-Can-Edit field (ilegend doing this)— ilegend: also if it can stream onto the side.

13) VNTLS Scraper (romme is doing this)—http://vntls.tindabox.net/rss

I don't understand or get these, so I let others decide about them :P.

As a suggestion, being able to see informations like what was downloaded the most would be nice. Some statistics like the one you have shown from your wordpress would be really cool to see as well !

oh yeah good idea. maybe some way to stream the google analytics stats to the site,,

good ideas good ideas

A good way to prevent spam and unrelated comments on each game profile would be for the commenter to choose from a list of different already set adjectives to qualify the game and it's quality. These adjectives would be separated into positive and negative. That way it would be possible to even make a summary on top of the pages with the most used adjectives, so people don't have to browse through all the comments. It might as well motivate people because they don't have to think about and write sentences. For example:

Positive: Beautiful art style, top notch voice acting, engrossing climax Negative: Plot holes, unclear choices, uninteresting side routes.

The only problem would be to prepare this list with relatable and relevant adjectives.

For the suggestions 8 and 12, maybe instead of having one official topic, having a "related topics" with an automated search for "little+busters" keyword on the forum or something.

Buttons at the top of the browse page to hide adult content, gameplay or yaoi. People might been to lazy for an advanced search, or just want to browse at their leisure knowing that only content for their taste has be filtered.

On the game's page, having a list on the side for sequels or prequels of the game would be nice, maybe another for other games from the same company.

kIGjT.jpg

This is a list of all of the ideas to improve the website. I wanted to put all the ideas in one place so that people can tackle them if they want to. contact me ([email protected])

5) A Search Page. See prototype1 and prototype2 can advance search/sort by genre tags.

7) Everyone-Can-Edit field (ilegend doing this)— ilegend: also if it can stream onto the side.

13) VNTLS Scraper (romme is doing this)—http://vntls.tindabox.net/rss

Also if you have any suggestions, please add them. Also these ideas can be improved upon. theyre not necessarily final.

I agree with Joachim about needing to have someone moderate anything user submited. Spammers have been an issue on the forum lately and I know that if we were to implement something like user submited reviews or news, there are going to be jerks who want the site to look bad. This would be a serious issue. Having the site look bad is something that I will not allow. So i guess i can moderate these when they are implemented. The problem is, well probably need more then 1 moderater.

There are some great ideas here. Spritechan.org is something id like to be a part of as well. As well as helping with anything else I can.

10) Make genre tags clickable (see image).

I think these should be a priority. Making the main page more user friendly should come first.

This is something that I think could bring a lot of new readers to the site. As you know, ive been a proponet for this.

Making a forum thread dedicated to this would also be good. Or be able to link between them would be amazing!!!

Not sure this is a good idea. Having too many people editing can be an issue. We discussed this via email. Having a couple people editing would be sufficient.

I love this site and everything it stands for. Ill do anything I can to help to make it continue to be great. You know ill support you in anything you decide Aaeru, these are just my opinions.

Let me know what I can do, and Ill do it!

I agree with Joachim about needing to have someone moderate anything user submited. Spammers have been an issue on the forum lately and I know that if we were to implement something like user submited reviews or news, there are going to be jerks who want the site to look bad. This would be a serious issue. Having the site look bad is something that I will not allow. So i guess i can moderate these when they are implemented. The problem is, well probably need more then 1 moderater.

You have to get moderators for different time zones as well, that brings it to three at least (europe, america, asia).

I guess youve already implemented a way to post thoughts on each VN??

If you look at the Little Busters Page, you can see someone already posted something.

Now not to knock that person, but it makes the page look... lets just say its not clean looking and it will turn some people off.

I know your trying to make improvments, but i think this is going to be an issue if anyone can post stuff on the pages.

I want this site to succeed, and adding improvements is great, but this has me worried.

Edit: I changed what was written on the page in question. It just bothered me too much.

I think these should be a priority. Making the main page more user friendly should come first.

Yes, making the user friendly interface is the most important thing. New readres need to know more about game review and suggestions. not only newcomers, I often browse for new game to read next time. Genre tags button (number 10) and advanced search page (5) is great idea. maybe you can add releases in list mode (add buttons like "show all list" for pop-ups list). i get this idea after using fuwanviewer. for some people, text\list view is more user friendly than 2 colloums list with picture.

If you look at the Little Busters Page, you can see someone already posted something.

Now not to knock that person, but it makes the page look... lets just say its not clean looking and it will turn some people off.

I know your trying to make improvments, but i think this is going to be an issue if anyone can post stuff on the pages.

what Ryoji said is right, lot of spam these days. so we need more people to check spam post and user submitted reviews (number 3) for next. But, too much moderators can be issue too.

I think about make something like a 'rank' for members, when your rank is low (newbie), your post need to be checked by mederator first. Some big disscusion site using this method and it's quite effective. not only safe, this will make user more active in forums so they can increased their rank.

but, fuwanovel is new. so something like this maybe too strict for new user. maybe they want to post some request or question, but need to waiting the moderators first. another idea: make a chatbox for online user in website. not only from twiter or facebook updates. this way guest can ask directly to someone who online. so they dont need to "wait for modeartors"...

well, just an idea...

Yes, making the user friendly interface is the most important thing. New readres need to know more about game review and suggestions. not only newcomers, I often browse for new game to read next time. Genre tags button (number 10) and advanced search page (5) is great idea. maybe you can add releases in list mode (add buttons like "show all list" for pop-ups list). i get this idea after using fuwanviewer. for some people, text\list view is more user friendly than 2 colloums list with picture.

what Ryoji said is right, lot of spam these days. so we need more people to check spam post and user submitted reviews (number 3) for next. But, too much moderators can be issue too.

I think about make something like a 'rank' for members, when your rank is low (newbie), your post need to be checked by mederator first. Some big disscusion site using this method and it's quite effective. not only safe, this will make user more active in forums so they can increased their rank.

but, fuwanovel is new. so something like this maybe too strict for new user. maybe they want to post some request or question, but need to waiting the moderators first. another idea: make a chatbox for online user in website. not only from twiter or facebook updates. this way guest can ask directly to someone who online. so they dont need to "wait for modeartors"...

well, just an idea...

Spam is an issue but i dont think making ranks, especially

I think about make something like a 'rank' for members, when your rank is low (newbie), your post need to be checked by mederator first.
is necessary. That will turn new members off. Spam in the forums is handled fast. Spam on the actually Visual Novel Pages would be much harder to moderate and control. Not to mention, on the main site, they wont need to "sign up" to post. Therefore anyone could post whatever they want.