How much time do you all needed to read Masada's works in Japanese?

shirazaki

It has been a little more than 2 months since I started JP seriously(I had started before, but my studies to get into a college made me stop) I do 50 cards a day in anki nowadays(started with 40) and am studying a lot of grammar. I finished every cure dolly's lesson and I have a good basis at grammar. Moreover, I started Imabi too and just now I finished the begginer 2 session, and will start to study linguistics and translation theory to help me even more. Anyway, I really am commiting everything that I can to get in a high level in this language without damaging my personal life because I LOVE IT, and I under no ilusions to read Masada's works until the end of the year. However, my ansious ass is screaming to have some kind of ''final point'' to look foward too. Anyway, I want to know how much time do you all needed to read his works in japanese at a comfortable level, to just read and enjoy it. My expectations for K3 are gigantic and it is one of the reasons I am so invested into this language, so if you all could be really honest with me I would be gratefull

Obs: Nowadays I am at the 2450 mark of vocab, probably going to finish core 6k after two more months and 10 days if I don't skip a day. I started the decks of K3, Dies Irae and paradise lost in JPDB but I don't take it seriously because I don't want to feel overwhelmed by something still out of reach. Probably going to take it seriously after 6K 

For me, about twenty-two to twenty-nine hours on Dies Irae, seventeen hours for a complete playthrough (all endings) of Paradise Lost.

Edit: I'm not a good reference though.  Those times were from my most recent playthroughs in 2018 and 2015 respectively.  My first playthrough for Dies Irae took 43 hours, when I was first starting to play VNs in Japanese back around the time Acta Est Fabula version came out.

Thanks for the answer! you were really brave to read Dies Irae when you were starting to read VNs in japanese because I see them like a ''final boss'' in this language, wich is pretty much reassuring to know. Anyway, I will continue to study a lot, I hope that by the end of this year I manage to get into the Masadaverse

1 hour ago, shirazaki said:

Thanks for the answer! you were really brave to read Dies Irae when you were starting to read VNs in japanese because I see them like a ''final boss'' in this language, wich is pretty much reassuring to know. Anyway, I will continue to study a lot, I hope that by the end of this year I manage to get into the Masadaverse

My first JVN in Japanese was Jingai Makyou.  I stumbled over some of the language in Dies Irae at the time, because most of my vocab was standard textbook and anime-related stuff at that point.  A lot of Dies Irae's difficulty lies in Masada's wider vocabulary and his tendency to write like a regular novel-writer (not a light novel writer).  As a result, whether it is his characters' dialogue or the narration, the language difficulty tends to be higher than you would see in most other VNs.  

9 hours ago, Clephas said:

not a light novel writer

Be me

>Buy thousands of dollars of Light Novels

>Hate it cuz most are なろう系 and it is clear that these author's writing are incredibly amateurish

the only one that's acceptable is 魔王學院之不適合者

On 2/27/2024 at 9:55 AM, shirazaki said:

It has been a little more than 2 months since I started JP seriously(I had started before, but my studies to get into a college made me stop) I do 50 cards a day in anki nowadays(started with 40) and am studying a lot of grammar. I finished every cure dolly's lesson and I have a good basis at grammar. Moreover, I started Imabi too and just now I finished the begginer 2 session, and will start to study linguistics and translation theory to help me even more. Anyway, I really am commiting everything that I can to get in a high level in this language without damaging my personal life because I LOVE IT, and I under no ilusions to read Masada's works until the end of the year. However, my ansious ass is screaming to have some kind of ''final point'' to look foward too. Anyway, I want to know how much time do you all needed to read his works in japanese at a comfortable level, to just read and enjoy it. My expectations for K3 are gigantic and it is one of the reasons I am so invested into this language, so if you all could be really honest with me I would be gratefull

Don't worry about the time you put into it, but just do it. I think it took me reading 15 or so VNs in order to read 神咒神威神楽

Just read easy stuff first and you'll eventually get there.