Fate/stay night - A New Translation

FBates

Fate_Opening_Animation.gif

Hi folks!
My name is FBates, and I am the author of the Fate/stay night re-translation project that some of you may have already heard about. I've been quietly working on this project since the fall of 2019, and have already put out a preview release of the Fate route at Christmas 2021, and now a preview build of everything up through the end of Unlimited Blade Works that I've released today. My editor Hobusu and I both work full-time jobs, so progress isn't always fast, but I'm very proud of the quality of the work that we've put together.

Anyway, I could go on and on about it, but what's really important are a few pieces of information, and then the download links. 😅
First off, this patch is designed explicitly for use with the most recent version of the Fate/stay night Ultimate Edition (1.1.2) found over at Beast's Lair. It may work with other versions of the Ultimate Edition, or even other versions of the game, but I can't guarantee that it will, and it will almost certainly be missing textual features that this patch makes use of.
Secondly, included in the download is what we've taken to calling the Official Fate Font (actually a modified version of Noto Serif JP) which we strongly recommend that you make use of. Hobusu has put a lot of work into cleaning up the formatting and making sure that it both looks good and reflects the character of the original JP script, but because of the way the engine handles fonts and text sizing we can't guarantee that you'll have the optimal experience using any other font.
Thirdly, and I want to stress this, the version available here is intended for preview purposes and is not final, Any text of this size, especially when it's being worked on by a small team, is going to have typos and lexical gaffes, and some portions of the text could still change fairly substantially as we continue to edit them in preparation for a complete release of the VN. So I ask that you be understanding if and when you run across those sorts of textual goofs, and would be grateful if you'd drop me a line either here or on Discord if you find one so I can clean it up.

Anyway, as a final word I just want to say a sincere thank you to anyone who does decide to pick this up and read it. This is very much a labour of love for me, and I hope that you'll get as much enjoyment out of reading it as I've had from writing it. On that note, I'll wish you happy reading, and leave you some links!

First a couple of short Medium posts I wrote explaining my goals and my philosophy with regard to this project (for anyone who is interested):

Re-translating Fate/stay night
https://medium.com/p/98b9cadff967

Editorial decision-making; or, translation is tricky (and also interpretative).
https://medium.com/p/97d269c2cf39

And finally, without further ado, the patch itself:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aox3h23kjAB9kHUwV1wODssBvlulI3mJ/view?usp=share_link

That is an immense amount of effort for a work that is likely to be overlooked because most people cannot find the time to read an 100+ visual novel, and those who are insane enough to do so have already read the mirror-moon translation.

That said, your translation definitely reads better than the mirror-moon translations based on the few excerpts that you picked up, and hopefully anyone who decides to read the original VN will find your translation well worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I want to say a huge thank you for the work you've done and continue to do. I'm a newcomer to the Fate franchise and I decided to start with the VN, and based on the excerpts I saw I decided I preferred this translation. I'm still early on in the Fate route but I'm very much enjoying the writing so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've made an account/signed in just to be able to ask;

FBates; have you considered compiling the translation as like an epub, pdf, or any format other than the patch for realta nua? So that it could be read like an ebook? While I understand how much of the experience one would be missing out on, I feel like it would be easier for me to convince my friends to read it if it existed a way that was easier for them to read.