The Fuwanovel List of Cool EVNs

Zakamutt

• 4 months later...

i think Heaven Will Be Mine is worth mentioning as a highlight of the EVN sphere. it has an identity of its own rather than simply borrowing from the JVN format without consideration. it's a story about women trying to find their place in the world in the middle of a interstellar conflict in which they're being used as pawns. it wears the fact it was inspired by gundam on its sleeve, and asks similar questions about being a human forced to participate in war they have no stakes in. the art is also quite good,

AyXjY93.jpg

I'll toss in a few more I'm not seeing mentioned here over time. For now here's 1.Love-Esquire-Cover.jpg

Love Esquire is a really good dating sim VN. Note it's not a pure visual novel, it is an actual dating sim hybrid VN with time management, map movement, stats, resources and a few mini games on top of having a lot of reading and choices. You play as a voiced Squire, and with an upcoming war you have a few things you want to accomplish before you march off to battle: You want to get some training in with your Knight partner, and you want to experience "Man's Greatest Pleasure". Your choices for girls are your farmgirl stepsis, two flavors of royalty, a brawler loli, and a shy pink haired nurse.

The general style and writing for the game is silly with lots of comedy, though drama and serious plot does kick in especially later in the routes for each girl. This is the sort of game where the MC's  inner thoughts are often dirty and crude, like the MC will drop his pants and smack his butt to taunt enemies as a combat minigame move. There's a light general theme about growing up and getting serious within the game, but even near the end of routes the MC is still a bit of a goofball outside of scenes where he's risking his life or dealing with a girl's heavy drama.

The production quality is way above expectations for EVN. The art is really nice, it goes for some tropes like hiding the MC's eyes that might turn some people off but the girls all look great and the game has a nice variety in CGs (some of which are animated) and good UI art. The game sounds great with pleasant music and lots of English voicework too, the casting was well done and I think most people will recognize names like Kira Buckland and Amanda Lee in the main cast.

They handled H-scenes elegantly enough for Steam: the base game just fades to black, but you have 2 easily accessible options to add H-scenes. There's an official free DLC (Love Esquire - Greatest Pleasure) that adds H-scene CGs, and then a much improved mod available for free on the Steam Workshop (Hip To Be Squire) that adds extra story and animation to the H-scenes. The devs themselves recommend playing using Hip To Be Squire if you want H-scenes, so I'll have a 2nd link right to the Steam Workshop page for it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/849740/Love_Esquire__RPGDating_SimVisual_Novel/

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1884758461

I'll second Highway Blossoms, as already recommended by someone earlier; it has very high-quality character-writing-and-development.

Also, off in the space of recommendations not already made elsewhere in this thread: We Know the Devil. Made by the same team that subsequently did Heaven Will Be Mine, and still my favorite of their VNs, despite HWBM's relatively-larger scope and broader popularity. WKTD is a short VN which manages to be very efficient about conveying a high-impact story in a small space. Three teenagers in a Christian summer camp spend a night staying up late in a cabin together, having compellingly-messy relationships with each other and with the world around them and very much not neatly fitting into the social boxes everyone around them is trying to push them towards. (And also the devil is involved.)

• 2 weeks later...

Salome's Kiss by ebi-hime

51299.jpg

Notable tags: LGBTQ+, Gothic-romance, Drama, Historical, Erotic  

Albeit it's not something I would recommend for everyone, It highly rewards those who stick around with one of the most flesh out Ebi-hime stories I encountered. It embarks us into a promiscuous and fascinating tale evoking bitterness and misery from miles away, steadily describing their surroundings as a novel turning into life (dread) with Ebi inspiring writing thought-out. As follows Letitia's misfortune footsteps make haste from London to Yorkshire, hoarding redemption, sins, anguish and relief within her mournful eyes. It carries dark and unsettling thoughts though the entire duration, tho that's nothing new considering Ebi distinct repertoire, what sells to me is the hoarsen air. The constant feeling to be on edge expecting the worse outcome, and getting some "wild carrots" along the way brough-up an euphoric thrill. Shifting your impressions anew, as an remarkable novelty.     

Where to get: Steam, Itch.io

Perfect Gold: The Alchemy of Happiness by Yangyang Mobile 

54777.jpg

Notable tags: LGBTQ+, Highly Animated Sprites, Protagonist with Voice Acting  

Reading though Perfect Golden feels like opening an fairy tale book for the first time, as unfolds within it's cover a blissful and magical world as the allure within their illustrations and poetic writing are enough to drawn you in. As presents this fictional world inside as a white canvas being brushed upon characters imbued with life, expressed from their given VA's who role with high prestige and benevolent tone of speech. In addition, harboring an illustrious UI painting Perfect Gold with color. As dwell within chapter transitions, and flipping though-out the pages with easy accessible and snappy options at your own comfort while allows this tale unfolds in front of your eyes. And finally before I close the book, the chemistry between Audrey and Marion it's quite a fun ride. There are rattles being cast, and evocative work within their respective VA's who are responsible for bridging their gap into another page.  

Where to get: Steam

Mizuchi by Aikasa Collective 

53746.jpg

Notable tags: LGBTQ+, Folktale, Food Discussions

Mizuchi vibrant story is expresses within it's worldbuilding and what folktales can offer. As the cultural impact it upholds, from the novelty side within it's embodiment within symbolisms and meanings behind. Left you wondering into the wild what are referred to, within their mystical meaning throw into the unknowing. When we have all characters discussing ins and outs within their peculiarities regarding food. Which works pretty neatly, as gives a glimpse from the past. While sorta tells what relationship history does posses. What is there to learn with it's culture, folklore and legends that live within. Meanwhile it also bears a sense of longing, what the future may bring. It really feels like a novel that dwells within the vast intricacies a dynasty long ago forgotten by civilization. And of course the romance within, only enforcing it's unquestionable value as a yuri vn.   

A Summer's End — Hong Kong, 1986 by Oracle & Bone Studios

53744.jpg

Notable tags: LGBTQ+, 80's, Retro, Summer 

Set into 1986, Hong Kong. Summer's End excels with Oracle & Bone Studios commitment into bring 80's vibrant aesthetics to life, from the sort of vaporwave motif being show with neon signs spread across the young night. As invites with all their glittering like a swarm of flies within their locked danger beneath, their discotheque houses imbued with allure and glamor. Cassete shops, responsible for hoarding the vast majority of cultural references we see within that time period. Dwelling from classics to erotica's, as it takes use of those elements to decipher our characters demeanors thought-out. A summer's end even after 3 years still holds high to me from their aesthetics, compelling romance from Sam and Michelle. While does bring an excellent cultural representation from that time.