If My Heart Had Wings - "Legacy" Error

Hello there, to anyone whom may be reading. I have been trying to get this game working, but it isn't going very well. I was wondering if anyone could be of assistance?

Before we get started, I just want to make it a point that I have:

-Changed time, language, and system location to Japanese. (Windows 10. If you need further clarification that I have done it correctly, I took a screenshot I can share)

-I have searched high and low on Google for solutions, none worked. I searched this forum for answers, the threads that I found only had the solution of changing the Language, which I had already done.

-I have so far only gotten the "Legacy" error (I have a screenshot of that I can share too, if requested), none other. However, I haven't exactly gotten out of the gates in terms of the games story.

-I haven't beaten/played the VN yet, so please, try to keep any possible spoilers to a minimum. Thank you.

But yeah, that's the situation. I'd be really glad if someone could help me with this, as this VN looks very promising, but I don't want to have to play the inferior steam version. I want to experience the vanilla game that got such high praise, you know?

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread, so my responses should be relatively quick.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

1 minute ago, Kiriririri said:

Is your game Moenovel, Japanese, or Steam version? You were trying to install the restoration patch right?

Not sure I can answer that. The story is I bought the game on Steam, and only afterward learned what had been done to the game. I searched for a fan patch, as most VN's that get this treatment tend to have, and I found this version, the "restoration patch". I couldn't for the life of me figure out where to download it, until I found a torrent with an already patched version in it. If you could help me identify somehow what this ones version may be, by telling me something to look for in the files or something, maybe I could answer what version it may be? Otherwise, I'm not sure, the torrent description just mentions having the content restored. It says the Publisher is Pulltop though on the torrent, that could indicate it's version?

If there is another way to install this fan patch as well, to do with the different versions or something, I'd welcome the insight.

I think I should also note at this point that the restoration patch only adds the H-scenes back to the game but doesn't improve the translation quality at all so it might be better to wait to the complete re-translation to finish.

If it was already patched for you then I believe it is the right version so I can't really help with solving that error other than

1. Getting the Moenovel version of the game (through some ways :illya: ) and installing the restoration patch on it yourself.

2. Getting the Japanese version and installing this patch.

3. Waiting for the re-translation.

6 minutes ago, Kiriririri said:

I think I should also note at this point that the restoration patch only adds the H-scenes back to the game but doesn't improve the translation quality at all so it might be better to wait to the complete re-translation to finish.

If it was already patched for you then I believe it is the right version so I can't really help with solving that error other than

1. Getting the Moenovel version of the game (through some ways :illya: ) and installing the restoration patch on it yourself.

2. Getting the Japanese version and installing this patch.

3. Waiting for the re-translation.

Ah, that's ok. I only searched for this version because of all the changes done (I heard a whole route got re-wrote, and anything sexual, even jokes, got removed from all routes) to the Steam version, and didn't want a heavily censored version like that. I'm ok with a couple of translation errors if that's the price I'd have to pay for that exchange.

Thank you for helping, anyway. :D I'll take what you've suggested and go out on another attempt with those in mind. I'll return to this thread (or make another if too much time as passed that it'd be resurrecting it) if I get any results, though I'll be keeping my eye on here still anyways.

Thanks again.

It's not just "a couple translation errors", Ageha's route is completely unreadable and you do not know what's going on because it was so heavily censored and rewritten. Some other routes have similar problems where you kind of lose track of what's happening from time to time, but Ageha's is the worst case.

Nonetheless I'd still probably play with the current translation patch, just know not to expect the best experience possible yet.

I couldn't respond to this very quickly as I've been a bit busy since, but yes, I did manage to get the game working. Turns out it was the language setting all along. I'd missed one setting, and that alone was the problem. I'll entirely take the blame for missing that, though I am a bit miffed that about 90% of the installation guides I read left this detail out. <_<

But yeah, everything's fine now. If any mods want to close the topic or anything (I'm not familiar with how much that's done here, I've just used other forums regularly in the past), feel free.

In response to @Nosebleed also, I do see what you mean. Not 10 minutes ago I was reading that very same route and I was a bit puzzled as to what was going on exactly. It's definitely not the most coherent translation job in the world. However, I'll wait until I finish the route before I fully comment on it. For now, apart from some light confusion, it doesn't bother me that much. It matters more to me that I actually got this thing running. :D