Blog Entries posted by kivandopulus
No masterpieces for me, but I'd like to highlight another slice-of-life old comedy Hana no Kakarichou . 1. Haha wo Tazunete Sanzenri 母をたずねて三千里 [1976-I] Nippon Animation (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Historical Adventure, Drama, Slice of Life Based on a short section of the novel Cuore by the Italian Edmondo de Amicis, Marco is a young boy living in Genoa, Italy, together with his father Pietro. But the family is not complete, for Marco`s mother left for Argentina around a year earlier in order to find work. Letters from her arrive regularly until one day they suddenly stop. Worry for his mother and what might have happened to her overcomes the young boy. Marco thus decides to embark upon a journey to Argentina in the hope of being reunited with his mother. At first, Pietro is opposed to Marco`s plan, but moved by his son's enthusiasm, he eventually allows the boy to go. So begins Marco`s long journey of the heart. Marco encounters many people throughout his travels, and finds maturity and self-acceptance as a result of his experiences. It comes from the same director as Alps no Shoujo Heidi and it shows. On one hand, story is more coherent in comparison and protagonist is more mature . On the other hand, protagonist is not as cute and there is less situational humor . Overall, it's nice enough, but definitely not for me. Overall Rating: 6/10 2. Huckleberry no Bouken ハックルベリィの冒険 [1976-I] Group TAC (Dropped 5/26) Tags: Historical Adventure, Drama Based on Mark Twain's well known masterpiece about Huckleberry Finn, the bright and merry orphan, this film is full of life, laughter, and will be loved by children around the world. When Huckleberry runs away from his orphanage, he teams up with an escaped slave. Together, they travel the Mississippi on a raft, encountering all kinds of people and adventures. I've lost count cow many "kids travel" anime suddenly appeared since 1974. There is some humor, plus both Huck, Tom and little Jim are quite nice, so I can rate it higher than usual, but not too high since there is no integral idea or something special about it. Overall Rating: 6/10 3. Manga Nippon Mukashibanashi (1976) まんが日本昔ばなし（第2期） [1976-I] Group TAC (Dropped 3/1471) Tags: Historical Fantasy An omnibus-format TV series consisting of anime adaptations of Japanese folk tales, this is one of Japan's longest-running TV series, and Group Tac's second TV series (the first was The Road to Munich, a documentary anime about the 1972 Olympics). The governing rule of the series was that the creative staff change from episode to episode. While later other anime series like Nippon Animation's Famous Works of Japanese Literature would attempt the same, none would be as long-lived or successful. The rotation idea was that of director Sugii Gisaburo, a visual visionary unequaled in Japanese film history who has revolutionized anime several times in his career, be it in the 1967 TV series Goku's Big Adventure, in which he sought to shake anime free from the dominance of story development by yanking it back to a more cartoonish form, or The Belladonna of Sadness, where he broke the Disney full-animation mold, creating a full-length animated film in a completely new style that was a hybrid of still drawings and animation. The reason for rotating the staff each episode was so that each episode would have a completely different look and feel from its predecessor, and in this it was eminently successful. This is a series that is genuinely rewarding to watch, and is visually one of the richest in anime history. While this system also meant that quality varied, there were also occasionally superb episodes, as on the staff were many veterans like Group Tac founder SUGII Gisaburo himself, SHIBAYAMA Tsutomu, FURUZAWA Hideo, RIN Taro, and HIKONE Norio. Old episodes started being repeated more and more frequently as the years went on, and production of new episodes finally ceased completely in late 1995, but the series is still widely broadcast. Omnibus format can never attain a masterpiece level from me, but this poorly animated series at least has a lot of stories I never heard of, nothing unexpected or must have though. Overall Rating: 5/10 4. Fengshen Bang The Story of Chinese Gods 封神榜 [1976-I] (Finished 1/1) Tags: Martial Arts Action, Fantasy Based on a traditional Chinese novel of the same name. Bewitched by his concubine Daji, who is actually a vixen spirit in disguise as a beautiful woman, King Zhou of Shang oppresses his people and persecutes those who oppose him, including his own subjects who dare to speak up to him. Ji Fa (King Wu of Zhou), assisted by his strategist Jiang Ziya, rallies an army to overthrow the tyrant and restore peace and order. Throughout the story, battles are waged between the kingdoms of Shang and Zhou, with both sides calling upon various supernatural beings – deities, immortals, demons, spirits, and humans with magical abilities – to aid them in the war. Yuanshi Tianzun bestows upon Jiang Ziya the Fengshen Bang, a list that empowers him to invest the gods of Heaven. The heroes of Zhou and some of their fallen enemies from Shang are eventually endowed with heavenly ranking and essentially elevated to their roles as gods, hence the title of the novel. Story itself is bs with torn hearts, heads and the number of demons surpassing that of humans. Making Bruce Lee come and defeat all unbeatable enemies is the cringe squared. Overall Rating: 3/10 5. Chou Denji Robo Combattler V 超電磁ロボ コンバトラーＶ [1976-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/54) Tags: Shounen Mecha Adventure, Sci-Fi The first of Tadao Nagahama's Romance Super Robot Trilogy. (#2: Chou Denji Machine Voltes V, #3: Toushou Daimos) Thousands of years ago, the people of the planet Campbell decided to leave their planet and seek out new worlds to inhabit. One group, lead by the scientist Oreana, landed on Earth, but was delayed from their mission. In the early 21st century, Oreana's group reawakens and begins their plan to conquer the Earth. The only effective defense against the Campbellians' giant biomechanical slave beasts is the super-electromagnetic robot, Combattler V and its pilots. Five kids have distinguished personalities, some humor is present, enemies ae varied. These elements make it on par with the best genre representatives so far, but the core is same dumb as ever, can't rate it higher. Overall Rating: 5/10 6. Daikuu Maryuu Gaiking Dino Mech Gaiking 大空魔竜ガイキング [1976-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/44) Tags: Shounen Mecha Adventure, Sci-Fi Earth is still in danger: aliens from planet Zeraz are willing to invade our planet because theirs is being swallowed by a Black Hole. Led by Great Darius and his four generals, they begin seeding death and destruction. When an ESP warrior is killed by aliens, professor Hi-Tech understands the danger and builds the huge Space Dragon (Daiku Maryuu) piloted by Pete, and the gint robot Gaiking whose pilot is Sanshiro Shiwobuki, an ex-baseball player. Daiku Maryuu is a big dragon shaped spaceship and his head is the Gaiking torso. When the Gaiking enters the action, Daiku Maryuu launches other Gaiking's components and then it re-unite neck with tail, becoming unbreakable. The story chronicled the battle between the crew of the semi-transformable carrier Daikuu Maryuu and the Super Mecha Gaiking against an invading race of aliens from the planet Zela, whose home planet is facing destruction by a black hole. The robot Gaiking was piloted by a baseball star named Sanshiro Tsuwabuki (Sanshiro's name was changed to Aries Astonopolis for the English version of the show with the carrier being called the "Great Space Dragon", a literal translation of "Daikuu Maryuu". Gaiking was notable for being one of the few super robot series to take place in real places outside of Japan, and for being the first Super Robot series to have a mobile carrier for the chief robots. Personalities are less varied, so it feels more like great Tsuwabuki and the sidekicks. Did not spot humor. Apart of that, the usual mecha, nothing special. Overall Rating: 3/10 7. UFO Senshi Dai Apolon ＵＦＯ戦士ダイアポロン [1976-II] Eiken (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Mecha Action, Sci-Fi The story is about 16 years old boy Takeshi who recently formed an American football team at the BlueSky orphanage. One day the game is interuppted by a light in the sky. Takeshi discovers he is the son of the king of the planet Apolon, spirited away to Earth by his father's retainer Rabi to avoid death at the hands of General Dazaan. He turns out to have special energy abilities which can control UFO saucers from under the ocean floor, which in turn can become robots that are synchronized to their movements. I've seen all its elements elsewhere already. Unremarkable character cast and no humor spotted, so the usual just above the ground rating. Overall Rating: 3/10 8. Machine Hayabusa マシンハヤブサ [1976-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/21) Tags: Shounen Racing Action Because of the appearance of a villain team, Black Shadow, the international racing was ruined. To compete with Black Shadow, Saionji Racing Team was founded. They developed a racing car, Hayabusa. It was a super racing machine that carries hyper power engine, Cavalier Engine. The main driver of the team was Hayabusa Ken whose big brother was killed by Black Shadow. Side-characters hardly show up at all, so it's just protagonist racing on armed cars, It has action all right, but that's it. Overall Rating: 3/10 9. Youkaiden Nekome Kozou Cat Eyed Boy 妖怪伝 猫目小僧 [1976-II] Wako Productions (Dropped 3/25) Tags: Seinen Psychological Adventure, Horror, Supernatural he story is told by the cat-eyed boy, hated by humans and demons, who engages in tales of terror, including monsters and children. The problem with this anime is that... it's not anime. It's drawings cut and screened on the real backgrounds and other tricks like that with real animation taking mere seconds of screen time. Apart of that it's just two old horror stories per episode, nothing fancy. Overall Rating: 3/10 10. Gowapper 5 Gordam Goliath the Super Fighter ゴワッパー5ゴーダム [1976-II] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/36) Tags: Mecha Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi Five youths from Edo City explore a strange rocky island and discover the mecha that Doctor Hoarai had been creating in order to resist the impending attack by a race of subterranean rock people. Doctor Hoarai was ridiculed by the scientific community for his predictions that such an attack would take place. The youths decide to join the doctor (who was dead but had transferred his mind into a computer) in piloting the vehicles and protecting Earth. The Gowapper 5 Gordam team is born! With the aid of the giant fighting robot Gordam, the Gowapper team under the leadership of Youko Misaki must face the hordes of the inhuman subterranean people. Cartoonish clumsy characters and girl protagonist are what strikes the eye. In addition to usual mecha characters also often pilot drill machines and fights sometimes take place below sufrace. Varied episodes, partially memorable protagonists and significant focus on humor make it a 5, but not higher. Overall Rating: 5/10 11. Blocker Gundan IV Machine Blaster ブロッカー軍団Ⅳマシーンブラスター [1976-III] Nippon Animation (Dropped 3/38) Tags: Mecha Action, Sci-Fi The peace of the world is suddenly threatened by Mogool, which is located on the bottom of the sea. Helqeen, tyrannical master of the Mogoolian Empire, attempts to conquer the earth with her faithful companions Goroskie and Zan-gack. In order to frustrate their ambition, Dr. Yuri, who predicted this horrible occasion, organizes four powerful robots to form the Blocker Corps! He also gathers four members who have the super ability known as "elepath" - a talent for maneuvering gigantic robots. A fierce battle begins between our Blocker Corps and Mogool at the risk of their lives! A series of fantastic and fabulous battles unfolds. The usual four mecha becoming giant one. A bit of light humor, rather bland character. The single distinguishing feature is that protagonist has a weaker younger brother as partner. Robot mascot Pico can also be of notice. Overall Rating: 3/10 12. Groizer X Gloizer X グロイザーＸ [1976-III] Knack Productions (Dropped 3/36) Tags: Mecha Sci-Fi The Gaira aliens, hidden in the Arctic, plan to conquer Earth. Captured and forced to work for the aliens, Dr. Yan creates the ultimate weapon, a transformable aerial robot called Groizer X. Entrusted to his daughter Rita, Groizer X escapes the clutches of the Gaira and lands in Japan, where pilot Jo Kaisaka meets a wounded Rita. Taking up the controls of Groizer X, Jo and Rita fight against the Gaira invasion. It's unusual that boy and girl make a duo of protagonists, but I failed to find anything special about this anime, usual trash mecha action. Overall Rating: 3/10 13. Candy Candy キャンディ・キャンディ [1976-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/115) Tags: Shoujo Drama, Slice of Life This story is about a girl, Candy, who is an orphan. She is a nice and optimistic girl and she has a warm heart. When she was a child, she lived in an orphanage called Pony's Home. She had a good friend called Annie. And she met the "Prince of the Hill" who is a important person in her life, on the hill behind the orphanage. She was adopted by the Leagan's family. What's awaiting her are the bad-hearted Neil and his sister, Eliza. One day, in the rose garden, she met a boy, who is identical to the "Prince of the Hill" who she had met in her childhood. The boy is called Anthony. Thereafter, a fantastic story that she has never expected begins. It's a long series, so things are taken very very slowly, by the end of 3rd episode it was still in orphanage. So it's closest to women novels, yet with contemporary time. Can't say I got a faint desire to watch it to the end, so 5 it is. Overall Rating: 5/10 14. Manga Sekai Mukashibanashi Manga Fairy Tales of the World まんが世界昔ばなし [1976-IV] Madhouse (Dropped 3/127) Tags: Historical Adventure, Drama, Fantasy Each episode of this series tells the story of a famous fairy tale from all around the world. Some of them are adapted from famous books such as "The Iliad". This must have been marked as anime for kids. Won't have much sense if you're not a kid. Overall Rating: 5/10 15. Magnerobo Ga-Keen マグネロボ・ガ・キーン [1976-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/39) Tags: Mecha Action, Sci-Fi Dr. Kazuki, who perceived of an invasion of Earth by the Izaru people builds a robot based on the science of magnetism and sphere joint theory. Undergoing a dangerous augmentation process, Dr. Kazuki's daughter Mai becomes the pilot of "Mighty" or "Magnetman Minus". Takeshi Houjou becomes the pilot of "Puraiza" or "Magnetman Plus". The pilots would hold each other and then physically trasform their joint bodies in a metallic plate locking itself on the Gakeen (Short for "Gathering Keen") robot's frame thus enabling the super robot to move and fight. This sequence was notable, to an adult's eye, for its almost-sexual connotation. Protagonist is an adult hooligan much like in Ashita no Joe. Overall drawing quality level is surprisingly high. Unlike Groizer X, both protagonists have enough individuality for empathy. Side-characters and humor are nice. Even though it's among the best representatives of the genre up to this moment, still no incentive to watch to the end as it's just new monster each time and a different way of dealing with him. Overall Rating: 5/10 16. Dokaben ドカベン [1976-IV] Nippon Animation (Dropped 3/163) Tags: Shounen School, Team Sports Action, Sports Tarou "Dokaben" Yamada, who was a judoist while at junior high, enters Meikun High School and is talked into joining the baseball club. He displays his superb athletic abilities in baseball and becomes well-known as a hard hitter. He and his unique teammates establish Meikun a solid position as No.1 in the High School Baseball Championship games. Dokaben is mostly known as thorough spokon manga that was in development for nine years. I like both characters and humor here, but would not want to watch it fully as pretty much almost any spokon. Overall Rating: 5/10 17. Kyouryuu Tankentai Born Free 恐竜探検隊ボーンフリー [1976-IV] Sunrise (Dropped 3/25) Tags: Action, Sci-Fi When a meteor crashes to Earth, it briefly changes the climate and dinosaurs once again roam the planet. It's up to a newly formed expedition team to relocate the dinosaurs to a safe environment. This anime... is not really an anime... again. Because roughly half of scenes are screened in real life environment or on real life backgrounds. Because... seriously... who would sponsor anime about saving dinosaurs by dinosaur rescue squad. Team is bland, no humor spotted, so watchin all those toy decorations and plasticine dinosaurs is beyond me. Overall Rating: 3/10 18. UFO Senshi Dai Apolon 2 UFO戦士ダイアポロンII [1976-IV] Eiken (Dropped 3/21) Tags: Mecha Action, Sci-Fi Sequel to Dai Apolon consisting of a mix of new and reaired episodes. One of the worst representative of the genre. Same trash as original. Overall Rating: 3/10 19. Hana no Kakarichou 花の係長 [1976-IV] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/25) Tags: Seinen Comedy, Slice of Life A wacky comedy about a man from a noble ancestry of long ago, but who in modern times is just a lowly salary man that is constantly being humiliated by his family and co-workers. Concept is similar to Dame Oyaji, if it was realistic. Males now are only a bit weird and no one really hates dad, all specter of feelings is used. Anime tackles with as many problems of an adult salaryman as possible - like high libido and hot wife under circumstances of occasionally impossible intimacy, not respectful subordinates, molesters and tight spaces in train, worry about kid not being smart enough - very mundane things like that. Spirit is very frivolous with what could be called ecchi today. There is next to zero situational humor, but conceptual humor is good. I'd give it a masterpiece score if it was translated . Overall Rating: 6/10
According to late tradition there is only one release to compete for the game of the month and that's AMBITIOUS MISSION 1. Category I ~Shisenjou no Survivor~ カテゴリーI ～死線上のサバイバー～ Vol.1  Animal Herb Ten girls and boys died in explosion and regained consciousness in VR . It's not possible to prepare surgery for all of them , so they have to compete in "Infection game". There are three rounds of competition between two camps with winning side getting 100 points, plus points can be added or substracted for conversation. Console exclusive. 2. Enzai Shikkou Yuugi Yurukiru 冤罪執行遊戯ユルキル  IzanagiGames Accused of arson and the murders of 21 people, protagonist Sengoku Shunju is forced to fight for his freedom and prove his innocence. As one of six Prisoners, he must pair up with one of five victims, referred to as Executioners, within the confines of the strange and secluded amusement park known as Yurukill Land. Together each of the five teams—Mass Murderers, Death Dealing Duo, Crafty Killers, Sly Stalkers, and Peeping Toms—must face and overcome the entertainment venue's so-called "attractions" in order to attain what they desire. Should the Prisoners succeed, their crimes shall be pardoned. But if the Executioners win, they will be granted revenge for their loved ones. Console exclusive. 3. AMBITIOUS MISSION  SAGA PLANETS Sahoro City―― In this city, there is a legend. It is said that all those who have obtained all twelve stars called "Ambitious" can have their ambitions granted. And there is one of the people pursuing the "Ambitious" will appear in Sahoro City tonight―― "A Letter of Warning Tonight, I will take the beautiful starry sky of this city. Miss Arte, the phantom thief." The main character, Nezu Mikage, happens to be at the crime scene. By chance, he discovers the phantom thief true identity. He can tell that the phantom thief is the ojousama of his class, Kaguya Arise. She has to eliminate every possibility of being found out by those around her. So―― I will steal... your heart and your sigh. Kaguya, who didn't want her identity to be exposed, tried to draw Mikage into the Phantom Thief Club, which she had created to fulfil her ambitions, but... it does not seem to be working well. That's when the orphanage, where Mikage was born and raised, fell into a predicament. Miss Arte, who appears there, expose the hidden "truth" and easily protected the orphanage. "Is it different from a thief?" "Yes, steal the hearts of those who see it, and steal everyone's sigh. That's the Phantom Thief." "Fine. I'll help you and your 'ambitions'." 'Miss Arte the Phantom Thief' and 'Midnight the Phantom Thief' Just as the two phantom thieves joined forces, the curtain rose on the hidden "truth" in the night of Sahoro City―― All the elements are seen elsewhere already, but tempo is good, mysteries pile up and get revealed in the grand route, heroines are charming enough. OK, but not genius for sure. 4. Neko to Wakai Seyo! ネコと女子寮せよ！  CUBE Main character Yuuki reveals concealed in his bloodline magical power and saves a girl about to be run over by a car. Girl happens to be working as a student maid in the cafe of prestigious school where protagonist's twin sister is a caretaker. By a twist of fate Yuuki starts working at this cafe too. Despite all the magic twist, game is mostly H-oriented and not actually outstanding. 5. fault - SILENCE THE PEDANT  ALICE IN DISSONANCE fault - SILENCE THE PEDANT takes place 5 years before the events of fault - milestone one. After her grandfather, the Royal Guardian to the king, loses his life in the line of duty, Ritona starts to become disillusioned with the notion of honor and duty to serve one’s country. Why would one devote their life to a King or a Princess that ultimately has no emotional bearing to their lives? What is honor, and what is devotion? What does it mean to be patriotic? A 14-year-old successor to the title of Royal Guardian struggles with these questions. Yet another partial release in fault series.
Sadly, no masterpieces for me this year. But Shounen Tokugawa Ieyasu might be one if it was translated. 1. Flanders no Inu A Dog of Flanders フランダースの犬 [1975-I] Nippon Animation (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Historical, Pets, Visual Arts Drama, Slice of Life Nello Tarth is a poor but happy orphan who lives with his grandfather Jehan in a little village nearby Antwerp. Nello has a talent for drawing pictures and has been fascinated by it since he saw one of Rubens (a famous artist) pictures as a little boy. Helping Jehan with the daily milk delivery to Antwerp, Nello one day discovers Patrash, a working dog who has been mistreated and abandoned by his former owner. He treats the exhausted animal and after a little while a close and dependable friendship develops. Alois Cojez, the daughter of the richest and hence most influential man in Blacken Village, is Nellos best friend. When Nello decides to become an artist he has to experience firsthand the ignorance and cruelty of the villagers. Especially Alois father thinks of him as a slacker who cannot earn his living by drawing pictures. Nontheless Nello perseveres and never gives up to achieve his dream and to win their appreciation and respect while strenuously struggling with his poverty. Peaceful rural life and adventures of a boy and a girl... a shameless imitation of Alps no Shoujo Heidi. But protagonist is now boy and both kids are couple years older, plus there's a bigger emphasis on the dog companion. With older age, less situational humor and more plain drawing the charm is gone though, and it becomes an aimless rural slice-of-life without a spark. Overall Rating: 5/10 2. Manga Nippon Mukashibanashi まんが日本昔ばなし [1975-I] Group TAC (Dropped 3/12) Tags: Historical This series is an anthology of old Japanese tales. I'd actually rate it as anime for kids as Japanese tales are show in super simple drawing and in humorous and simple way. Definitely can't enjoy it as an adult. Overall Rating: 4/10 3. Andersen Douwa: Ningyohime Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid アンデルセン童話 にんぎょ姫 [1975-I] Toei Animation (Finished 1/1) Tags: Shoujo Fantasy, Romance Marina, the most beautiful mermaid in the royal Merman family, is curious about the human world. One day, she sees a handsome prince on a boat. Suddenly, a storm comes up, throwing him into the sea. Marina saves her handsome prince and guides him to the shore. Marina falls deeply in love and desperately wants to become a human. Despite the hazards, she is willing to risk it all for love. Traditional retelling of a classic fairy-tale. Nothing to talk about. Overall Rating: 4/10 4. Getter Robo G ゲッターロボG [1975-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/39) Tags: Shounen Mecha Action, Sci-Fi Takes place after the final defeat of the Dinosaur Empire and the death of Musashi Tomoe in the original Getter Robo series. Dr. Saotome, creator of Getter Robo, fears that the peace the Getter Robo team has won will be short lived and that an even greater enemies would appear. Dr. Saotome's fears are justified when the militaristic Hyakki (or "Hundred demons") Empire appears, but Dr. Saotome is prepared with the creation of an even more powerful Getter Robo, Getter Robo G and a new Getter Robo base. Also with Musashi Tomoe dead, Dr. Saotome needs a third pilot which he finds in baseball player Benkei Kuruma. First episode is more or less outstanding, following ones are the usual robo action with a bit more humor. Overall Rating: 3/10 5. Yuusha Raideen 勇者ライディーン [1975-II] Sunrise (Dropped 3/40) Tags: Shounen Mecha Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi After a slumber of 12 millennia, the Demon Empire returns to seize control of the Earth. Reideen, the giant robot-like protector of the lost continent of Mu, senses the evil presence and awakens within its golden pyramid, revealing to young Japanese boy Akira Hibiki that he is the one descendant of the ancient Mu people who must help Reideen save Earth. He was assisted by his friends, token girl Mari Sakurano (daughter of a scientist fighting the Demon Empire) and several members of his high school soccer team. Does not Yuusha mean fantasy setting? Of course not, get your usual mecha. The soccer team as companions and rather nice humor helps to an extent, but the concept itself is flawed from the start. Overall Rating: 5/10 6. La Seine no Hoshi Star of the Seine ラ・セーヌの星 [1975-II] Sunrise (Dropped 3/39) Tags: Shoujo Historical Adventure, Drama The story is set in Paris, on the night before the France Revolution. The civilians have been suffering under the tyrannical rule of Louis, the sixteenth. In order to release the people from their suffering, Simone, a young girl whose parents were killed by the aristocrats, decides to challenge the corrupted aristocrats. Covering her face with a red mask and leaving a red carnation as a mark of her presence, Simone is La Seine no Hoshi. It's basically retelling of Zorro, just in France and with female protagonist as masked hero Black Tulip once helps Simone. Nothing special. Overall Rating: 5/10 7. Shounen Tokugawa Ieyasu 少年徳川家康 [1975-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/20) Tags: Shounen Historical Drama A historical tale of the early life of Tokugawa Ieyasu, who would eventually become shogun and establish the Edo Period in Japan. It imitates Japanese taiga historical tv series, just with a child protagonist to gain enough empathy with children who are considered to be main anime audience. I love taiga and I'd even rate it as masterpiece if there was a proper translation as it has more than enough complex ties. Overall Rating: 6/10 8. Uchuu no Kishi Tekkaman Space Knight Tekkaman 宇宙の騎士テッカマン [1975-III] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Shounen Mecha, Space Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi Tekkaman is just an average bright boy in his everyday life. However, modern science can turn him into a mighty space warrior. This becomes a reality when aggressive aliens come from space to invade our planet. Armed with a space lance, Tekkaman gallantly goes into action against the grotesque space creatures. During his battles he encounters a mysterious young man from another planet who helps him out whenever he is in danger. This anime is so morally old as if just from the 1960s. One straightforward protagonist, zero humor, some female sidekick and this alien helper guy. This alien helper guy with afro is here not just to help fight, but to loose tension, but without real humor his role is not beneficial. Thus the trash rating. Overall Rating: 2/10 9. UFO Robo Grendizer UFOロボ グレンダイザー [1975-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/74) Tags: Shounen Mecha Sci-Fi Duke Fleed is a survivor of the Fleed Planet who is escaped to the Earth, onboard a mysterious "spaceship", where is raised by Dr. Umon as his adoptive son, and known as Daisuke Umon. Years after his arrival, he's faced with the threat of King Vega and his army, who want to conquer the Earth. With his friends Koji and Hikaru (and later his younger sister Maria Grace), Duke decides to fight back using his best weapon - the almighty Grendizer. The main attraction point of the anime is that protagonist is a bitter cool adult who already lost to the invading enemy once. And it's funny to see the usual bashful youth hero as a loser here. There are also many funny side-characters to add humor. To get a 6 the series must rise a faint desire to watch it to the end, but no such thing happened for me. Overall Rating: 5/10 10. Arabian Nights: Sindbad no Bouken (TV) アラビアンナイト シンドバットの冒険 [1975-IV] Nippon Animation (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Adventure, Fantasy, Romance Based on the famous tale from The Thousand and One Arabian Nights, this story takes place more than 1200 years ago. The story's hero is the impish Sindbad, a mischievous boy full of curiosity, who one night sneaks into the royal palace to watch the acrobatic performances and learns that a wide world awaits beyond Baghdad. Hearing of the travels of his uncle Captain Ali, Sindbad decides to become a sailor and travel around the world. Leaving behind a note to his father, young Sindbad boards Captain Ali`s ship and-accompanied by a myna called Sheila-sets out for the greatest adventure of his life. The motto is I want to see the wide world, and it's basically it, travelling and getting into adventures, nothing really special. Overall Rating: 5/10 11. Koutetsu Jeeg 鋼鉄ジーグ [1975-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/46) Tags: Shounen Mecha, Mythology Action, Sci-Fi Hiroshi Shiba is an outstanding car racer whose father is assassinated upon the discovery of the Bronze Bell from an ancient civilization. This Bronze Bell is coveted by Queen Himika who comes from that ancient era; the Yamatai Kingdom, and whose ambitions are to seize the Bell and dominate earth. Hiroshi is left with a few items from his father which would enable him to morph into a full sized mecha warrior, the Steel Jeeg. With these abilities and the help of his father's brain implanted in a computer and his assistance Miwa "Micchi" Uzuki, they set out to neutralize Himika's plans of world dominion. Boring hero and sidekicks, no humor. In my rating concept it's slightly better than trash. Overall Rating: 2/10 12. Time Bokan Time Fighters タイムボカン [1975-IV] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/61) Tags: Mecha Adventure, Comedy Dr. Kieta, the inventor of a time-travel machine, is lost on a test run of his machine to the prehistoric past. When the time-space craft returns to the present, his young assistants are surprised to find only a parrot in the cockpit. In their hurry to find the missing scientist before it is too late, the youngsters set out on a time-space hunt without any clear destination. Professor went to future alone and instead of him talking parrot with a diamond returned. Now assistants go to past in search for professor and greedy assistant together with villains follow them to learn from the parrot where diamond came from. It's a fun comedy with the only weak points being simplicity and episodical nature. So the question comes down to whether I got a faint incentive to watch the full series, and actually, no, so it' a 5. Overall Rating: 5/10 13. Andes Shounen Pepero no Bouken Adventures of Pepero the Andes Boy アンデス少年ペペロの冒険 [1975-IV] Wako Productions (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Adventure This is the quest of Pepero and his friends in search of the Golden Condor or el Dorado. Can't help to notice that drawing , color palette and low resolution are eye-gouging. Plot-wise it's same kid adventures as we've already seen in Flanders no Inu and Arabian Nights this year , just in Central or Latin America that looks like Mexico. And compared to those two anime Andes feels weaker in all aspects. I spotted next to zero humor situations and no interesting characters. Overall Rating: 4/10 14. Ganso Tensai Bakabon 元祖天才バカボン [1975-IV] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/103) Tags: Gag Humor Comedy, Slice of Life A comedy about a former genius who has now become very eccentric and senile. His family deals with all the crazy problems he and his old friends cause around the neighborhood. It's pretty cool as gag comedy. Nice family. Random weird humor, but fun. Senile father is not much different from "strange philosophy" father, but approach is definitely much more straightforward now. I liked old one more. Overall Rating: 5/10 15. Sougen no Shoujo Laura Laura, Girl of the Prairies 草原の少女ローラ [1975-IV] Nippon Animation (Dropped 1/26) Tags: Shoujo Adventure This anime is based on the same work as the famous American live-action TV series Little House on the Prairie. What I understood from the only found first episode is that it's again imitation of Alps no Shoujo Heidi, but with a bigger focus on horses since it's located in the Prairie. A bit worse humor, characters and drawing in comparison, so only fine if don't compare. Overall Rating: 5/10
Uchuu Senkan Yamato is innovative in many aspects. Pacing can sometimes be slow with it, but I enjoyed first season and looking forward to second and third ones. The only definite masterpiece for me in 1974 . 1. Alps no Shoujo Heidi アルプスの少女ハイジ [1974-I] Nippon Animation (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Historical, Iyashikei Drama, Slice of Life After becoming an orphan, Heidi is forced to live with her grandfather Öhi, who lives in the Alps. She learns he's a very bitter man who only accepted by force to take her in. But Heidi's kindness may be able to open his heart. Together with the shepherd Peter and invalid Clara, she has lots of adventures. Nice slice-of-life with drawing preceding Miyazaki style. Simple easy-to-understand motives try to substitute humor which remains only on situational level. Everyone can like it just as Miyazaki works for it's about universal things instead of anime-specific ones. I could probably give it a borderline masterpiece, but there seem to be many remakes, so I'd wait for something shorter than 52 episodes. Too much idling and slice for me which is not as interesting for an adult. Overall Rating: 6/10 2. Getter Robo ゲッターロボ [1974-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/51) Tags: Shounen Mecha Action, Sci-Fi From deep within the Earth's surface, the Dinosaur Kingdom make their move to wipe out mankind and conquer the planet with their mechanical dinosaurs. After a prototype Getter Robo is shot down by a mechanical dinosaur, the Saotome Research Institute decides to use the real Getter Robo, which is combat-capable. Due to a lack of pilots in the institute, Ryo Nagare goes to his college to persuade martial artist Musashi Tomoe and outcast Hayato Jin to join him and pilot the Getter Machines to combat the new threat and protect mankind. It's basically the same Mazinger Z as three vehicles make a giant mecha, but with more fleshed out characters and even some nice side-characters. With very small grains of humor, but equally boring. Overall Rating: 3/10 3. Majokko Megu-chan 魔女っ子メグちゃん [1974-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/72) Tags: Shoujo Megu is sent to Earth in her early teens, she is adopted by Mammi Kanzaki, a former witch who gave up her royal ambitions to wed a mortal. Mammi bewitches her husband and their two children, Rabi and Apo, into believing that Megu has always been the eldest child of the family. Under Mammi's tutelage, Megu learns to control both her abilities and impulses in order to prove her worthiness for the crown. This Rite-of-Passage subtext is continued throughout the series. Magical girl genre as it began in 1960s. Girl from another world comes to this one and meets new friends. But somehow I liked Mahoutsukai Sally more because of super fun characters it had. Here we have a much wider range of bright characters, but due to this variety and the need to develop all the heritage and rival drama it all becomes a mixed flavor. It has many advantages, but overall taste is worse. Overall Rating: 4/10 4. Shin Minashigo Hutch The New Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee 新みなしごハッチ [1974-II] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Adventure, Comedy, Drama The sequel to Konchuu Monogatari Minashigo Hutch where Hutch struggles with married life. Did married life change it a lot? Not really. Same random dangers, just more responsibility. Overall Rating: 4/10 5. Hoshi no Ko Chobin 星の子チョビン [1974-II] Studio Zero (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Adventure, Sci-Fi Chobin is a cute little alien prince from another planet, who crash landed on earth. Looking for his mother, he has a magical bracelet that will help him on his quest. Small alien lives in a family, talks to animals and occasionally gets hunted by robo-dogs and robo-bats and other aliens. It tries to go into humor , but it ends up to be gimmicks mostly. Another unremarkable title. Overall Rating: 4/10 6. Judo Sanka 柔道讃歌 [1974-II] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/27) Tags: Shounen Combat Sports The last TMS sports-themed anime series ("Star of the Giants" was the first). Because of low ratings, the series was pulled off the air before later episodes of the original manga could be adapted. Another spokon story with all elements seen somewhere already, many in the same Star of the Giants. Same cheeky brat and next to zero humor. With this high competition ordinary spokon is not enough. Overall Rating: 3/10 7. Dame Oyaji ダメおやじ [1974-II] Knack Productions (Dropped 4/26) Tags: Comedy, Slice of Life Dame Oyaji is the story of Damesuke Amano, a hapless office worker who faces a tremendous amount of bullying on the job and especially at home, where he has (contrary to traditional Japanese notions of family) absolutely no power or say in the runnings of the household whatsoever. Amano lives with his wife, Onibaba, his beautiful teenaged daughter Yukiko, and his grade-schooler son Takobo. Onibaba is an imposing, violent heifer of a woman who regularly berates and even physically assaults her husband and who enjoys nothing more than making his life miserable; Yukiko and Takobo frequently join in physically and psychologically abusing their father. The original manga is said to have been quite shocking to early 1970s Japan, in which the father was often still traditionally regarded as the head of the household. Too violent for me. The way men are graphically drawn is horrible. Seeing more of the corporate world and humor is nice, but the outcome that it always ends in humiliation is overwhelming. Overall Rating: 5/10 8. Zero Tester: Chikyuu wo Mamore! ゼロテスター 地球を守れ! [1974-III] Sunrise (Dropped 3/28) Tags: Mecha Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi A series of space accidents turn out to be the work of the Armanoid aliens, who plan to conquer Earth. Professor Tachibana gathers a team around him at the Future Science Invention Center and prepares five state-of-the-art vehicles for Shin, Go, Lisa, and Captain Kenmotsu. Three of the Tester vehicles combine... For the zero zero tester fans out there. Overall Rating: 2/10 9. Mazinger Z tai Ankoku Daishougun マジンガーＺ対暗黒大将軍 [1974-III] (Finished 1/1) Tags: Shounen Mecha Action Kouji and his friends have defeated Dr. Hell and are now enjoying a break, but suddenly a strange prophet appears and warns everyone of an oncoming danger, mechanical beasts never seen before start appearing all around the world wrecking havoc. Its up to Kouji and his Mazinger Z to stand up to this threat but it seems he is vastly outnumber and outmatched. This film served as an alternative link between the Mazinger Z TV series and the Great Mazinger TV series. It basically introduces Great Mazinger to the audience, as well as his enemies from the Mikene Empire. Unlike previous stupid crossover, now it's only protagonists vs Babel Nisei similar monsters. The good thing is that it finally tries to add humor and some fanservice. It also seems to be high budget, so there's no lack of scenes with giant monsters destroying Tokyo and military. But for those who don't like original Marzinger Z it's still not a thing. Overall Rating: 4/10 10. Uchuu Senkan Yamato Star Blazers: The Quest for Iscandar 宇宙戦艦ヤマト [1974-IV] Group TAC (Finished 26/26) Tags: Adult Cast, Military, Space Action, Adventure, Drama, Sci-Fi In the year 2199, Earth is a mere shell of its former glory after a vicious bombardment by the Gamilas Empire. The inhabitants have been forced underground to escape the irradiated surface, but the deadly radiation inches closer and closer to the retreating population. With only one year before complete and utter extermination, time is fast running out and hope is in short supply. So far, any attempt to escape or retaliate has been instantly annihilated by the alien empire—until an emergency transmission from the planet Iscandar in a neighboring galaxy offers a glimmer of hope to save the doomed planet. Covertly, Earth's Self Defense Force constructs a faster than light engine for a journey to Iscandar. Armed with new weapons and a determined crew of fearless navy men, the World War II era battleship Yamato is reborn as Space Battleship Yamato. She and her crew set out on a perilous journey across the stars to save their home and the entire human race. One of the most famous anime of 1970s. It differentiates from prior space anime because characters are fleshed out and are ordinary humans under constant pressure of the environment. There is a good concept and aim, some lengthy technical explanations , high level of complexity and easy to understand logic behind it. But of course in the long run it all depends on the characters, and I can't complain here either - very human-like and fun. Truly first complex structural project with one integral line out there. Overall Rating: 7/10 11. Great Mazinger グレートマジンガー [1974-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/56) Tags: Shounen Mecha Action, Sci-Fi A manga comic book and anime television series by manga artist Go Nagai, made as a direct continuation of the successful Mazinger Z series. It was aired on Japan in 1974, immediately following the end of the first Mazinger series. Did not find much difference except for more stress on personalities and humor. Overall Rating: 4/10 12. Calimero カリメロ [1974-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 1/45) Tags: Comedy Calimero is a small black bird who has a shell on his head; his dream is to fly like the other birds. When he tries to fly and screws up he is teased by the other birds, but his girlfriend Pricilla is there to cheer him up. Despite his appearance, he is quite smart and thinks up an idea to fly. The whole thing looks too childish and and naïve to me. Black and white series has more humor than following colored ones, but it's still just out of my league. Overall Rating: 3/10 13. Hurricane Polymar 破裏拳ポリマー [1974-IV] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Detective, Super Power Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi Yoroi Takeshi is a carefree and somewhat naïve youth, who works as an assistant to the bumbling detective wannabe Kuruma Jo (who frequently proclaims himself the heir apparent to the title of Greatest Detective “Sherlock Holmes”). From their rundown and shabby office, they run a humble if not failing private investigation service. The spunky and cute Nanba Teru (who’s father owns the building when Jo and Takeshi reside in) frequently interferes in their affairs by threatening eviction (Jo is continually months behind in back rent). Since they rarely get any clients, they must resort to eavesdropping and spying on the Secret International Police Department headquarters, located in the building across from theirs in order to get their assignments. Unbeknownst to Jo and Teru, Takeshi has a deep secret. Not only is Takeshi the son of the International Police Department Chief but in times of peril and danger, mild-mannered Takeshi uses his trusty Poly-Met (Polymer Helmet) to transform into the Superhero “Hurricane” Polymer, a red suited masked man with incredible fighting abilities and superhuman strength. The only one who knows Takeshi’s secret is his lazy Saint Bernard, Daisaku, who always likes to provide cutting commentary to the audience (using his inner voice). Together Jo and Takeshi (as Polymer) confront and battle a myriad of evil organizations, criminal gangs, mutants and monsters as they fight crime in the future city of Washinkyo (Washington/Tokyo). We've already seen detective turning into superhero. This time it's detective assistant which allows to introduce detectives as simpletons and thus provide lots of primitive humor. Anime also uses fanservice proactively, and even ecchi. Entertaining only on a low level. Overall Rating: 4/10 14. Tentou Mushi no Uta Song of the Ladybug てんとう虫の歌 [1974-IV] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/104) Tags: Drama, Slice of Life The adventures of seven orphan who live in poverty, although they have a very rich grandfather. Monk and wife suddenly die and seven adopted children are separated, though they come back to the shrine and decide to live on their own, because they remember from deceased parents that as ladybug has seven spots, the seven of kids should be together. A rather unusual anime as it's mostly centered on one location. There is a ton of situational humor in each episode as there is least one fight to show in a funny way. But the symbol of this anime is actually patsu of the smaller girl who often takes off pantsu. Characters are fine and varied, plus there are a lot of animals with personality. The problem with this anime is simplicity and episodical nature (so that 104 episodes are possible). In such anime humor is most important aspect, and it's average at best to my taste. Overall Rating: 5/10 15. Hajime Ningen Gyatoruz はじめ人間ギャートルズ [1974-IV] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/77) Tags: Historical Comedy A comedy about the wacky adventures of Giatrus and his tribe of the first human beings on the planet. Prehistoric theme is the first one that comes out to visualize as anime, so there was already 5-minute episode series about it. Now it's similar, just with a wider cast of five main characters and more lengthy stories. It's still primitive in all meanings, humor does not impress. Overall Rating: 4/10
There are no masterpieces for me in 1973, but I rate Dororon Enma-kun higher than others. 1. Mazinger Z マジンガーＺ [1973-I] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/92) Tags: Shounen Mecha Action, Drama, Sci-Fi The villainous Dr. Hell has amassed an army of mechanical beasts in his secret hideaway, the island of Bardos located in the Aegean Sea. He is capable of controlling mechanized beasts with his cane, and instructs them to unleash devastating attacks. However, Dr. Hell doesn't do all the dirty work by himself; he has his loyal henchman Baron Ashura to carry out his devilish plans. There are also those that will see to it that evil does not prevail. Kouji Kabuto is the young and feisty teenager with a score to settle: his goal is avenging the murder of his grandfather by Dr. Hell. And he might just be able to pull it off, as he is the pilot of Mazinger Z, a mighty giant robot made out of an indestructible metal known as Super-Alloy Z. Mazinger Z boasts several powerful special attacks. By channeling Photonic Energy through its eyes, and unleashing the Koushiryoku Beam, it can cause great destruction. But things get really cool when Mazinger Z launches its Rocket Punch attack. Dr. Hell and his minions might have just found their match! We're finally at the point of classical mecha where kids pilot giant robots instead of transforming into them in an form or controlling them remotely. It's well done and has some charm as genre discoverer, but character-wise it's still stereotypical both protagonists-wise and enemies-wise. Can't rate it high because of that. Overall Rating: 3/10 2. Babel Nisei バビル２世 [1973-I] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/39) Tags: Shounen Adventure, Sci-Fi, Supernatural Life seems simple for Koichi, a young student, until he learns that he is the reincarnation of an alien protector who crashed onto the mantle of responsibility as "defender of the Earth," Koichi/Babel teams up with a trio of super-powered alien companions to battle the the dark forces of an evil cult leader. The war to save humanity takes Babel from the deserts of southern Asia to the upper east side of Manhattan and ultimately to a final showdown with "the master" in a hidden base nestled in the Swiss Alps. The action is fast-paced and deadly. The fate of the world rests in the ability of this courageous youth to tame his latent psychic power and use it to defeat the enemies of mankind. For some reason I can't stand phychic-esper battle anime. This is exactly such one. Plus with three cheater additional instruments of fighting. Protagonist is super boring , and the only interesting side-character in the form of mischievous sister plays an insignificant role. Overall Rating: 3/10 3. Kouya no Shounen Isamu 荒野の少年イサム [1973-II] Shin-Ei Animation (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Shounen Action, Adventure The adventures of Isamu, a young boy living in the Far West, searching for his real father. First Japanese Western. The good thing is that there are cool adults around. And protagonist has to kill and thus is not our usual warrior of light. It's more of a survival in wilderness and in towns pressed between different gangs. For me too many episodes means loose pacing and aimless storytelling. Overall Rating: 5/10 4. Wansa-kun ワンサくん [1973-II] Mushi Production (Dropped 0/26) Tags: Comedy The hero of Wansa-kun is Wansa, a puppy who is sold for a pittance, then escapes, and spends much of the rest of the series looking for his mother. Not found Overall Rating: 0/10 5. Microid S ミクロイドＳ [1973-II] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Action, Sci-Fi This work focuses on environmental issues from the viewpoint of insects. In a refreshing twist, the central character miniaturizes, unlike the conventional hero who grows ever larger. From this perspective, the world looks different and unfamiliar. This work enables the reader to see that the world around is quickly moving towards destruction. A weird anime of three butterfly heroes fighting against mechanized insects in industrial and different high technology zones. As I understand it, insects try to commit ecology terrorism and crashes with mass victims. Microids try to minimize dealt damage and prevent crashes. Plus there's a professor with student who oversee microids and spend some time resting in the city with their subordinates. As usual, I see no aim or meaning here. Overall Rating: 4/10 6. Jungle Kurobee ジャングル黒べえ [1973-II] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/31) Tags: Comedy Urobe was a son of the great chief of Pyrimi, Africa. One day he hung on an airplane and came to Japan. Because of the cold and hunger, he fell on to the yard of Shishio’s house, and Shishio nursed him. Kurobe was very thankful for him and began to repay for his kindness. Kurobe dug a big hole in the yard.Every time he returns the favor, he threw a stone into the hole until stones would fill the hole. We're back to Perman concept with his protagonist, family and only this superficial element different. Kurobee from jungle is the most charismatic from all the previous variants, but it's same average comedy with two stories in each episode. Overall Rating: 5/10 7. Kanashimi no Belladonna Belladonna of Sadness 哀しみのベラドンナ [1973-II] Mushi Production (Finished 1/1) Tags: Historical Avant Garde, Drama The beautiful Jeanne marries a man named Jean, and the happy newlyweds make their way to the Lord's castle with a cow's worth of money for his blessings. However, the demonic Lord is unmoved by their offering, ignoring their desperate, impoverished pleas. The Lord's wife offers an alternative: Jeanne must become the Lord's conquest for the night in a ritual deflowering. Scarred by the experience, the shaken Jeanne receives no sympathy from her husband. Instead, she is neglected. But as Jeanne drifts off to sleep, she is met by a strange spirit that encourages her to deliver retribution to those who wronged her. And with a mysterious surge of pleasure and an unquenching libido, Jeanne agrees. Kanashimi no Belladonna is a captivating, psychosexual adventure that tells a story of cunning witchcraft and deceitful superstition in a poor, rural village of medieval France. Very poorly animated abstract ecchi. It's mostly moving camera over still pictures. No scenario value spotted. Overall Rating: 3/10 8. Mazinger Z tai Devilman Mazinger Z vs. Devilman マジンガーＺ対デビルマン [1973-III] Toei Animation (Finished 1/1) Tags: Shounen Mecha, Mythology Adventure, Sci-Fi The heroes of the series Mazinger Z and Devilman fighting against the evil Demon Cla First anime cross-over! But it's just 40 minutes, twice longer than a usual episode. And that additional time is used to share intelligence and save each other in a pinch. Pretty stupid, as for me. Overall Rating: 4/10 9. Cutey Honey キューティーハニー [1973-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/25) Tags: School Action, Sci-Fi One day, Honey Kisaragi's a trendy, class-cutting Catholic schoolgirl. The next, her father's been murdered by demonic divas from a dastardly organization called Panther Claw. When his dying message reveals that she's an android, Honey uses the transformative power of the Atmospheric Element Solidifier - the very thing Panther Claw wanted to steal - to seek revenge against the shadowy clan. Can Honey fight her way up Panther Claw's ranks to defeat its leader, the sinister Sister Jill while managing to escape the watchful eyes of Miss Histler, her school's headmistress? Aided by journalist Hayami Seiji, his ninja father, and his lady-loving grade school brother, Honey sometimes appears as a racecar driver, sometimes as a glamorous model, and sometimes as a beggar, but her true identity is none other than the warrior of love, Cutie Honey! First transformation heroine. Also first deliberately fanservice anime. That's basically all points of interest. Usual random action with one protagonist. Overall Rating: 4/10 10. Ace wo Nerae! エースをねらえ! [1973-IV] Madhouse, Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Shoujo School Drama, Romance, Sports On her first day at Nishi High School, 15-year-old Hiromi Oka is inspired by top player Reika "Ochoufujin" Ryuuzaki to take up tennis. Shortly after joining the school's tennis club, she encounters Jin Munakata, the club's new coach. Munakata puts everyone under rigorous training that even puts Ochoufujin to shame. Despite the hardships, Hiromi's determination prompts the coach to select her as part of the club's main players. Because of this, Hiromi must endure the peer pressure from her seniors to become an ace tennis player. There have been shoujo before, but this anime is the first true Shoujo. Without a specific graphical style shoujo tries to mimic mainstream anime with a girl point of view. Inside true shoujo I also define normal and hardcore versions. In the latter boys also have a specific sensual images. Basically, I'm fine with anything but the hardcore variant as boys instantly start looking as in contemporary boys love titles. Ace wo Nerae is exactly such variant that is painful even to watch for me. Overall Rating: 4/10 11. Shinzou Ningen Casshern 新造人間キャシャーン [1973-IV] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/35) Tags: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi The brilliant Dr. Azuma created many robots to aid humankind. However, during a thunderstorm his lab was struck by lightning, corrupting the programming of one of his robots, BK-1, who renames himself Braiking Boss and declares that instead of serving mankind, mankind will now serve him! He brings other robots together into an overwhelming army bent on enslaving the human race. Tetsuya, Dr. Azuma's son, asks his father to turn him into an indestructible android so that he will have the power to destroy the threat his father inadvertently created. Shortly thereafter, Braiking Boss captures Dr. Azuma and his wife. Tetsuya, now renamed Casshern, sets out to turn the tide of the war and rescue his parents, with the help of his girlfriend, Luna, and robot dog, Friender. Cyborg superhero with his cyborg dog fights against cyborgs. Luna is pretty bland as well. That's all there is to know about this anime. Overall Rating: 4/10 12. Dororon Enma-kun ドロロンえん魔くん [1973-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/25) Tags: Shounen Mythology Comedy, Fantasy, Horror, Supernatural Monsters are coming to the human world from the Hell in order to get human spirits. As people's minds are getting dirty, being attracted by the dirty spirits, the monsters break the rule to go to the human world. Tsutomu, a boy who goes to Yokai Elementary School, is suddenly assaulted by monsters. Those who save him from the monsters are Enma-kun, the son of Enma, Yukiko, a snow woman, and Kapaeru. They are members of Monster Patrol that are sent to the human world to arrest monsters. I don't like youkai. But Enma-kun is entertaining as action, inventive and has multiple fun characters. It's nowhere near masterpiece for me, but it's easy to watch and enjoy - that much I can appreciate. Overall Rating: 6/10 13. Karate Baka Ichidai Karate Master 空手バカ一代 [1973-IV] TMS Entertainment (Dropped 3/47) Tags: Historical, Martial Arts Adventure, Sports Failed kamikaze pilot Ken Asuka becomes a rough, tough hooligan who settles all of his problems with karate, until he learns about the legendary swordsman Musashi Miyamoto in the novels of Eiji Yoshikawa. Resolving to live his life like Musashi, he begins to take karate more seriously. Based on a manga by Ikki Kajiwara and Jiro Tsunoda, itself inspired by the real life of Yasunobu Oyama, the founder of the "hard-knock" Kyokushin Karate school. Watching adventures in post-war chaotic Japan is more interesting than our usual sports career from the start. But if we compare Karate Master with the closest rival - Ashita no Joe - the latter one actually wins by many points due to better protagonists and more fun characters. If someone wanted deadly serious Ashita no Joe, this anime is the way to go. Overall Rating: 4/10 14. Samurai Giants 侍ジャイアンツ [1973-IV] Madhouse, Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/46) Tags: Team Sports Ban Banjou is an insolent wild boy who was raised on the rough sea in Tosa, southern Japan. He joined the Tokyo Yomiuri Giants in Japanese pro baseball league such a baseball pitcher noted for the blazing fastball and the worst control. He fights hard battles against his rival batters, developing his incredible pitching magics. This anime is pretty well done and has nice characters, but it's not translated. Why? Because very few people care about baseball outside Japan. The moments that are supposed to be dramatic look laughable for me. Overall Rating: 5/10 15. Miracle Shoujo Limit-chan ミラクル少女リミットちゃん [1973-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/25) Tags: Shoujo School, Super Power Comedy, Sci-Fi As a result of a traffic accident, Limit-chan is reborn as a cyborg and is given three types of supernatural powers. However, there is a catch: if she uses too much of them, her life will come to an end. There were at least three anime about magical girls up to this point, and this one is on the worse side. Humor is really weak. A wide range of powers is used at will on insignificant occasions. Have not seen even a single character outside some stereotype. Overall Rating: 4/10 16. Zero Tester ゼロテスター [1973-IV] Sunrise (Dropped 3/38) Tags: Mecha Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi A series of space accidents turn out to be the work of the Armanoid aliens, who plan to conquer Earth. Professor Tachibana gathers a team around him at the Future Science Invention Center and prepares five state-of-the-art vehicles for Shin, Go, Lisa, and Captain Kenmotsu. Three of the Tester vehicles combine to make the giant Zero Tester robot, which successfully sees off the Armanoid invasion in 38 episodes. The rest of the series, retitled ZT: Save the Earth! (Chikyu wo Mamotte!), was aimed at a younger age group and featured an attack by the new Gallos aliens. It's the ancestor of transformers due to ability to make up a giant mecha out of three vehicles. In all other aspects it's deadly serious and boring. Overall Rating: 2/10 17. Bouken Korobokkuru 冒険コロボックル [1973-IV] Tatsunoko Production, Eiken (Dropped 0/26) Tags: Adventure The adventures of a human and three little gnomes. Not found Overall Rating: 0/10
Dokonjou Gaeru is a great comedy series and the only masterpiece in 1972 for me. 1. Muumin (1972) ムーミン [1972-I] Mushi Production (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Slice of Life A remake of the 1969-70 Moomin series. This version is more closely based on the books by the Finnish illustrator and writer Tove Jansson. Can only say the same as of the original. Overall Rating: 5/10 2. Kashi no Ki Mokku 樫の木モック [1972-I] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Adventure, Fantasy This version of Pinocchio tells a story of an extremely gullible, naive and morally confused wooden doll brought to life by a mystical blue fairy. Pinocchio (Mokku) is characterized as having many character faults which he must learn to overcome in order to be worthy of being granted humanity. Some of these character faults include selfishness, rudeness, insensitivity, indolence, obstinacy, over- trusting, self-pity, stupidity, disobedience, compulsive lying, arrogance, greed, cowardice, recklessness, cruelty, foolishness and an inability to learn from mistakes. Throughout the entire series Pinocchio (Mokku), partly due to his own delinquency and repetitive disobedience, must undergo other costly ordeals of hardship and pain in which he is continuously tormented, persecuted, bullied, humiliated, tricked, ridiculed, ostracised, beaten, downtrodden and subjected to degrading and inhumane treatment. Its plain depiction of the austere reality of what it would be like to be literally subhuman growing up in a world of danger and hardship, makes this another good example of traditional Japanese stories, which teach moral observance through tough endurance. Once again no coherent plot aim, so it's just observation and watching different situations happen. Can't rate that higher than average. Overall Rating: 5/10 3. Seigi wo Aisuru Mono Gekkou Kamen 正義を愛する者、月光仮面 [1972-I] Knack Productions (Dropped 3/39) Tags: Action, Mystery Moonlight Mask's identity has always been a mystery (which is why the Moonlight Mask persona is credited as being played by "?" in the original series). Decked out in white tights, white & red cape, white scarf, yellow gloves & boots, dark glasses, face cloth and Indian-style turban (pinned with a "moon" ornament), Moonlight Mask is armed with a whip, two six-shooters, shuriken and moon-shaped boomerangs. He also rides a motorcycle. However, only audiences know that Moonlight Mask could very well be detective Juurou Iwai who seems to disappear from his friends before the caped crusader rides to the rescue in his motorcycle! Even his comical assistant Gorohachi Fukuro, his friend Inspector Matsuda, and children Shigeru, Kaboko and Fujiko are oblivious to Iwai's secret identity. Another simplistic superhero title. This time there are quite some colleagues too to add some comedy, so it's not too bad, just bad. Overall Rating: 4/10 4. Umi no Triton 海のトリトン [1972-II] Animation Staff Room (Dropped 4/27) Tags: Shounen Adventure, Fantasy 5000 years ago, the Triton Family was living peacefully in Atlantis until the Poseidon Family destroyed them all. Triton, of the Triton Family line, embarks on an adventurous life in the sea fighting the Poseidon Family. I don't understand shounen adventure titles as boy just travels and sometimes helps someone with the ultimate aim to find and destroy Poseidon. It's random and going nowhere for the most part. Overall Rating: 4/10 5. Akadou Suzunosuke 赤胴鈴之助 [1972-II] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 4/52) Tags: Historical Adventure A young swordsman finds himself involved in a plot to overthrow the shogunate. Edo period. Suzunosuke-kun tries to be as great as his father and learns kendo. Pacing is slow and basically each episode Suzunosuke is shown his new weakness and he trains hard to counter that weakness. Also there is usually a bit of action with his kendo rivals or masked evil ninja and accomplices. The whole coup theme starts also further that the first four episodes. Overall Rating: 5/10 6. Anime Document: München e no Michi アニメドキュメント ミュンヘンへの道 [1972-II] TBS, Nippon Television Network (Dropped 0/16) Tags: Sports A short series based on volleyball at the Munich Olympics. The series features a mix of live action blended with animation. Not found (God bless) Overall Rating: 0/10 7. Devilman デビルマン [1972-III] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/39) Tags: Mythology Action, Horror, Supernatural Devilman features Akira Fudo, a shy and timid teenager who has gone mountain climbing in the Himalayas with his father. While in the middle of the expedition, both father and son are killed in a tragic accident. Akira's body is found and possessed by the demon soldier Devilman, who uses his new human form as a disguise in order to fulfill his mission of causing chaos on Earth in order to pave the way for a demonic invasion of the planet. Before his mission can begin in earnest, Devilman meets Akira's childhood friend Miki Makimura and quickly falls in love with her. Devilman resolves to protect Miki and humanity as a whole by battling against his fellow demons. Demon Tribe leader Zennon becomes greatly angered at Devilman's betrayal and is quick to send Devilman's former comrades to destroy him. The other demons soon learn that Miki is precious to Devilman and he must now work to protect her, as well as protect himself. Will the power of love be able to overcome that of true evil? Not the worst superhero series for sure. Miki-chan helps to an extent. Still after first unusual episode all others feel roughly the same with just a new enemy each time. Overall Rating: 4/10 8. Mon Cheri CoCo モンシェリCOCO [1972-III] TBS (Dropped 0/13) Tags: Shoujo Romance A young woman aims to become a famous fashion designer. Not found, lost media. Overall Rating: 0/10 9. Maken Liner 0011 Henshin Seyo! 魔犬ライナー００１１変身せよ [1972-III] Toei Animation (Finished 1/1) Tags: Mecha Action, Sci-Fi A medium long anime movie (50 minutes) released as one of the programs of 'Toei Manga Festival', and screened with a live-action film "Kamen Rider vs. Ambassador Hell" and others. A near-future Sci-Fi mecha action film featuring four cyborg dogs. An original story based on the concept from Hiroshi Sasagawa's manga "Maken Goro" (serialized in the magazine "Weekly Shonen King" in 1963). A boy named Tsutomu and four cyborg dogs (Queen, Ace, Jack and Joker who coalesce and transform into the spaceship "Liner") fight against aggression by insect-type aliens from the Planet Devil. 50 minutes is kind of small for something big. So it is a shrunk aimless animation without strong characters or aim. It targets audience who like spaceships and fighting aliens with miraculous transformers. Very boring and perfect boy protagonist aggravates the deal. Overall Rating: 4/10 10. Kagaku Ninja-tai Gatchaman 科学忍者隊ガッチャマン [1972-IV] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/105) Tags: Shounen Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi Due to dangers of decreasing resources and growing pollution, the International Scientific Organization (ISO) is established to improve environmental conditions throughout the world. But an international criminal group, Gallactor, tries to achieve world domination by taking control of the ISO. Gallactor was created by a mysterious being from outer space known as Generalissimo X, who gives orders through its chief commander on Earth, the masked Berg Katse. To fight Gallactor and its robot monsters, the ISO's Dr. Nambu enlists five brave youths into a combat squad called Gatchaman,the Science Commandos. Special scientific powers and dramatic birdlike costumes make the Gatchaman Squad a match for Gallactor, wherever on Earth it may strike. Ken (the Eagle) is the wise leader, assisted by sometimes-foolhardy Joe (the Condor), pretty Jun (the Swan), eager little Jinpei (the Swallow), and strong Ryu (the Horned Owl). Each has individual scientific weapons, but their main power lies in their aircraft, the Phoenix, which can transform itself into a fiery arrow capable of piercing the most massive threats. GATCHAMAN is a series of dynamic action and tension as Ken, Joe, Jun, Jinpei, and Ryu hold themselves in constant readiness to meet each new threat by Gallactor to conquer the world. There's next to zero humor, so all these serious space ninjas are super boring. All the stereotypical laughing enemies aren't funny at all. I can imagine few things worse than that. Overall Rating: 2/10 11. Dokonjou Gaeru ど根性ガエル [1972-IV] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 22/103) Tags: Shounen Comedy, Slice of Life When Hiroshi was fighting against his rival Gorillaimo, he stumbled over a stone and fell on to a frog. To be surprised, the frog was still alive and it named itself Pyonkichi. What a hilarious comedy. Great characters, every single one of them. Humor is just right, absolutely clear one. If it had a full English translation, I'd even give it an 8, although translating 103 episodes is definitely not an easy thing to do. Still there are some 21 episode translated, and that's almost two contemporary seasons to enjoy. I especially appreciate as events pile up and affect next series unlike, say , Simpsons. Overall Rating: 7/10 12. Astroganger アストロガンガー [1972-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Mecha Action, Sci-Fi An alien woman named Maya crash-lands on Earth. Her homeworld was destroyed by the Blasters, a cruel alien race who steals the natural resources from other planets. She falls in love with a scientist and gives birth to a human boy named Kentaro. When the Blasters invade the Earth, Kentaro must defeat them by fighting with Astroganger, a robot made from living metal. As primitive mecha superpower action as one can imagine, with very few unexpected findings. Still, I've seen even worse, so can't give it the worst score. Overall Rating: 2/10 13. Ryuuichi Manga Gekijou Onbu Obake おんぶおばけ [1972-IV] Eiken (Dropped 0/52) Tags: Supernatural The mischievous antics of a ghost in an ancient village. Not found Overall Rating: 0/10
Ali Baba to 40-hiki no Touzoku is a memorable video with full translation, yet still not a masterpiece for me 1. Chingou Muchabee 珍豪ムチャ兵衛 [1971-II] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/51) Tags: Adventure, Comedy A goofy comedy series with various stories featuring the same set of characters. Series is about a samurai warrior son who is dreaming of returning to castle in Edo, goes to more or less modern school and wets himself in the mornings, and his servant who tries to raise the child in bushi spirit despite poverty. There is a set of characters inside Edo castle from rivaling Iemitsu clan. Comedy is mostly based on this mix of two centuries, like servant fights with a modern umbrella. There are two stories in each episode, so it's historical episodic humor sketches. Humor is actually decent, on par with the best comedies of 1960s. Overall Rating: 6/10 2. Doubutsu Takarajima Animal Treasure Island どうぶつ宝島 [1971-II] Toei Animation (Finished 1/1) Tags: Adventure Jim is working as an innkeeper, together with his friend, the mouse Gran. One day, a mysterious man visits the inn, leaving a map behind. The map shows an island with a treasure. So the duo sets off in their own little boat, trying to fulfil their dreams and leaving the inn far behind. But it seems more people knows of the map, as they cross paths with Captain Silver and his band of wild pirates. Jim, Gran and their new friend Kathy tries to beat them in the treasure hunt that ensues. Anniversary title usually means big budget, in this case rich animation. And animation is really well done, even the most trivial scenes that are usually not included at all. And this emphasis on insignificant scenes means one thing - there is no strong plot that would require tightly packed plot scenes. And it is really so as the bulk of the time the ship just sails and there is a lot of situational low quality humor piled up, something like Tom&Jerry . There are also three songs. Amusing, but there can be no high scores without depth. Overall Rating: 5/10 3. Sasurai no Taiyou Nozomi In The Sun さすらいの太陽 [1971-II] Mushi Production (Finished 26/26) Tags: Music Drama Two baby girls were born in the same hospital: one of them is the daughter of an aristocratic family while the other belongs to a deprived household which lives in the slums of the city. However, the nurse-in-charge, Michiko, secretly switches the two babies due to a personal grudge, resulting in a change of fates of the girls from then on. Many years later, the lives of the two girls continue to be intertwined with each other, with the rich Miki ill-treating the poor Nozomi, yet both of them hold similar dreams to become a singer. Watched it in full just to see what first musical looked like and what it could influence later on. First of all , there are few songs here, like maybe 3. Next, all this changed babies Santa Barbara takes up to a quarter of overall time leaving not that much to music career. Next, there is a romance line taking more time. In this regard, it does not feel like a separate genre, more of a shoujo spokon focusing on music. It's different from Attack No.1 mostly by the fact that protagonist does not go to school and is not going to enter university. There's no humor, and I'm not the target audience, so don't expect high scores from me. Overall Rating: 5/10 4. Animentary: Ketsudan Animentary: The Decision アニメンタリー 決断 [1972-II] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/25) Tags: Historical, Military A strict retelling of the Pacific side of WW2. Wow, did not expect reflection on such a heavy topic. But it's true that it's best to tell the story yourself to emphasize the right spots. The Japanese are presented here as great professionals and men of honor if not heroes. It's already not a truthful retelling in this regard, plus it goes further than just finishing with WW2, it has enough space for fiction. For a general observer there's not much value here, it's a niche product. Overall Rating: 5/10 5. Ali Baba to 40-hiki no Touzoku アリババと４０匹の盗賊 [1971-II] Toei Animation (1/1) Tags: Action, Fantasy A film produced for Toei's 20th anniversary. A boy who is the descendant of the leader of the theives who met a grisly fate in the 1001 Nights bands together with 38 cats and a mouse to get back his rightful treasure from Ali Baba XXXIII, the descendent of Ali Baba who now rules the kingdom with an iron fist. This is a reversal of the good guy/bad guy roles in the original story! (perhaps not surprising for being a film in which Hayao Miyazaki was involved) This film is one of the most rollicking and action-packed films made by Toei, and is in an outrageously cartoonish style breaking with the Toei mold. It has a spectacular lineup of animators including Yasuji Mori, Akira Daikubara, Hayao Miyazaki, Yoichi Kotabe and Reiko Okuyama. The original story about Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves itself is recounted at one point in the film in an unexpected and interesting way using shadow-puppets. Another Toei anniversary project. Again, animation is rich and action-packed. However, this time there's a twist from the start that Ali-baba and gang leader descendants swap places, there are several unknown variables, so story feels both entertaining and rewarding. There are a lot of nice humorous moves and at least two songs. Lack of depth stops it from being a masterpiece, but it shines in many other aspects. Overall Rating: 6/10 6. Yasuji no Pornorama: Yacchimae!! ヤスジのポルノラマ やっちまえ!! [1971-II] (Finished 1/1) Tags: Hentai Japanese society, in the opinion of Pusu-o, "satisfies all the urges of hunger, but not the urges of the loins." Then again, Pusu-o is scrawny, awkward and hardly the handsomest guy in town. More to the point, in matters of a romantic nature, Pusu-o conducts himself with an absolute lack of grace, restraint and general respect for women. Not surprisingly, his sex life is an endless succession of obnoxiously over-the-top come-ons and maniacal attempts to get some action, all of which culminate in total strike-outs. Pusu-o's own father is soon on hand to add insult to injury (the injury being the constant, gushing nosebleeds Pusu-o endures — the nasal blood geyser being Japanese cartoon shorthand for sexual frustration), and the cock blockage continues at Pusu-o's new job as a car salesman — until a trio of older women misinterpret his advances, intended only to make the pretty Yukiko jealous. The antics continue at a later date, when the married Pusu-o is cuckolded by an horny little birdie. When the humiliated surrogate dad witnesses the sexual prowess of the tryst's offspring, matters culminate in a finale worthy of the most bombastic Japanese tragedy. Technically, it's not hentai as there is even no censure due to absence of graphical depiction. Despite that situations are very frivolous crossing most of possible lines. Title can be translated as "Do it!" and concept reflects it well. There is a guy in constant search of amorous adventures and there's a girl who is too forceful and thus scares men. They live in the same house and encounter each other in several situations, but date goes awfully, and it's a breakup. In second part girl becomes worker at protagonist's work, and so harassment and jealousy ensues. In the last part protagonist gets married with a different girl and they go on a honeymoon. As you can guess, due to various reasons there's no success either, and during married life there are a lot of new barriers. Another feature of the OVA is that there are three songs during the course of it, so it's partially a musical. There are so many rude jokes and situations that I constantly wondered how that was possible in 1971. Anyway, can't say this OVA has anything meaningful to offer, but if definitely does the job of provoking and shocking well. Overall Rating: 5/10 7. Lupin III ルパン三世 [1971-III] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/23) Tags: Seinen Adult Cast Action, Adventure, Comedy, Mystery Arsène Lupin III is the grandson of world-famous thief Arsène Lupin, and he's living up to his grandfather's memory as a high-profile thief himself. Due to his infamy, Lupin III attracts the attention of the persistent Inspector Zenigata of the ICPO, as well as rival criminals. Lupin III's criminal lifestyle even seeps into his love life. The main woman in Lupin III's world is femme fatale Fujiko Mine, who Lupin III can never tell is working with or against him. Follow Lupin and his gunman partner Daisuke Jigen on their quest to own the world－or at least the valuable bits! I never tried to watch Lupin seriously as for me it's continuation of detective anime, plus adventure. But it seems to be the first Seinen, for grown-ups, so I must be the target audience. I'm sure there will be cool OVAs, but as TV series it's difficult to maintain novelty, intrigue and thrill, very much like Cyborg 009. Overall Rating: 5/10 8. Gegege no Kitarou (1971) ゲゲゲの鬼太郎 [1971-III] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/45) Tags: Mythology, Super Power Adventure, Supernatural Kitarou, a ghost, spends his afterlife helping humans in need of his skills. He thwarts the plans of evil spirits who live to torment humanity. It's actually not colored remake , but a second season. Still the same niche anime. Overall Rating: 5/10 9. Genshi Shounen Ryuu Ryu the Primitive Boy 原始少年リュウ [1971-III] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/22) Tags: Shounen Action, Adventure, Romance, Sci-Fi When Ryuu is born his tribe tries to sacrifice him to a Tyrannosaurus named Shirano because of the color of his skin. He is however saved by a monkey who raises him as her own son. Meanwhile Ryuu's mother has left the tribe and is out on a quest to find Ryuu. 16 years later Ryuu meets a girl named Ran who was sold to the tribe Ryuu originaly came from. The tribe is not happy to see Ryuu alive and tries to sacrifice him again, this time by burning him alive. Before they can get the deed done the tribe is massacred along with Ryuu's adoptive mother by Shirano. Ryuu then sets out on a quest together with Ran to find his mother and Ran's brother Don. We've seen lion life in nature, bee life in nature, now time for human life in jungle. Of course there is the same age girl and rivals from the tribe nearby. Nothing special, really. It's not much different from what you can portray. Overall Rating: 4/10 10. Fushigi na Melmo Marvelous Melmo ふしぎなメルモ [1971-III] Mushi Production, Tezuka Productions (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Shoujo After nine-year-old Melmo loses her mother in a car accident, she is left to care for her two younger brothers, a task far beyond her age or means. However, in the midst of her grieving, Melmo is visited by the ghost of her deceased mother who gives her a bottle of miraculous candy, capable of transforming her into either an adult (blue candy) or an infant (red candy). A combination of the two can reduce her to a fetus and then change her into any animal she imagines. Drawing on a seemingly inexhaustable supply, Melmo uses her candies to solve the various problems thrown her way, aided by her younger brother Toto (who accidentally morphs into a frog in episode 7) and her cantankerous mentor, Dr Nosehairs. Such concept is not close to me. Girl resolves problems that are usually created by her mischievous use of transformation pills. There's nowhere for story to go and it becomes episodic in nature. I think it's the first time of ultra-short skirts and pantsu flashing even though pantsu are big and old. Overall Rating: 5/10 11. Tensai Bakabon 天才バカボン [1971-IV] Tokyo Movie Shinsha, Yomiuri Telecasting, Imagica (Dropped 0/40) Tags: Gag Humor Comedy, Slice of Life Tensai Bakabon is the tale of a child prodigy and his "philosophical" father. Bakabon‘s father has his own philosophy and he leaves no stone unturned in his quest for answers. Despite his ability to trouble Trouble, for some reason, Papa Bakabon is regarded as "The Great Philosopher," and is sought after for advice, which of course ends up in disastrous results. Tensai Bakabon joins his father in his philosophical quests which drives the people in their town crazy. Nice gag series, but is in dare need of translation due to all the puns. Overall Rating: 6/10 12. Apache Yakyuugun Apache Baseball Team アパッチ野球軍 [1971-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/26) Tags: School, Team Sports Action, Sports A former baseball star who suffered a career crippling injury takes over as coach of a team of misfits in a poor village high school. But we've seen baseball spokon already in Kyojin no Hoshi . Another similar looking dead serious TV series was hardly needed. Kyojin no Hoshi was at least inspirational classic, this one is more team oriented, but also more plain looking. Overall Rating: 3/10 13. Shin Obake no Q-tarou 新オバケのＱ太郎 [1971-IV] (Dropped 0/13) Tags: School Comedy, Slice of Life, Supernatural New misadventures of the dimwitted ghost Q-Tarou. Not found. At least there is 1985 remake series available. Overall Rating: 0/10 14. Kunimatsu-sama no Otoridai 国松さまのお通りだい [1971-IV] Mushi Production (Dropped 3/46) Tags: School, Team Sports Comedy, Sports A comedy about a group of kids forming a school baseball team, with the leader being very stubborn and argumentative. Pilot episode about kendo was a nice school action comedy, but starting from second all the baseball rivalry began, and I just can't stand baseball, one of the most boring sports ever invented. Overall Rating: 4/10 15. Shin Skyers 5 新スカイヤーズ5 [1971-IV] Tele-Cartoon Japan (Dropped 3/25) Tags: Action, Sci-Fi A science fiction action series about the future battles between a planetary police force and an international crime syndicate. The series is sometimes denoted with 26 episodes, in such a case episode 1 is a colored version of the original monochrome episode 1 of Skyers 5. No changes to dialogue and story were made. As such this episode will be accounted for in its original entry. Same stupid James Bond stylization and stupid action. After all the more and more complex TV series seen by the end of 1971 this one is super simple looking. They did not even bother to make a different opening. Overall Rating: 3/10
There aren't masterpieces inside 1970 anime for me, but among scores of 6 I'd choose one that has a full English translation, and thus Cleopatra . 1. Attack No.1 アタックNo.1 [1970-I] Tokyo Movie Shinsha (Dropped 3/104) Tags: Shoujo Drama, Sports Kozue is a middleschool girl and enthusiastic volleyball player. Her dream is to play in the Japanese national volleyball team. During the series she makes it from the school district league up to the Japanese volleyball finals, step by step till the international volleyball championship. But the faster and higher Kozue climbs the career ladder up, the more she gets confronted with the dark side of success: too high expectations, self-conceit and envy are progressing towards serious problems. This spokon shoujo actually features team members heavy interaction from the start, but it's still quite simple/naïve and girls don't have memorable personalities. Overall Rating: 4/10 2. Chibikko Remi to Meiken Kapi ちびっ子レミと名犬カピ [1970-I] Toei Animation (Finished 1/1) Tags: Adventure, Drama, Slice of Life This is a faithful if compressed adaptation, telling the story of Remi who is sold off to Vitalis the travelling musician and his band of performing animals. It has musical numbers typical this era of Toei films, some awkward slapstic, plenty of scenes tailored to pull on the heartstrings, and very smooth animation. Overall a pleasant film that's interesting to watch for the technical aspects; but the story leaves much to be desired, being on the melodramatic-maudlin side. The later Dezaki/Sugino version is very different, with 52 episodes for the story to breathe in and far more compelling storytelling. Again a very simplistic tale of searching for real parents. Maybe TV series that came later will give more depths to it, but in this state I see zero point in watching it. Overall Rating: 4/10 3. Ashita no Joe Tomorrow's Joe あしたのジョー [1970-II] Mushi Production (Dropped 6/79) Tags: Shounen Action, Drama, Slice of Life, Sports Joe Yabuki is a troubled youth, whose only solution to problems is throwing punches at them. What he lacks in manners and discipline, he makes up for with his self-taught fighting skills. One day, while wandering the slums of Doya, Joe gets into a fight with the local gang. Although greatly outnumbered, he effortlessly defeats them, drawing the attention of Danpei Tange—a former boxing coach turned alcoholic. Seeing his potential, he offers to train Joe into Japan's greatest boxer. At first, Joe dismisses Danpei as a hopeless drunk; but after the trainer saves his life, he agrees to live with him and learn the art of boxing. Unfortunately, Joe's personality makes him an unruly student, and he often falls back to his old ways. To survive the harsh world of his new career, Joe needs to trust his mentor and master the techniques taught to him. However, the road to becoming a professional boxer is rife with struggles that will test his mettle to the end. This anime tried to give a proper 2-episode intro, a wide cast of companions and unusual gangster hooligan protagonist a bit similar to great teacher Onizuka. For a spokon anime it's very unconventional and that's why piques interest. But it's still the story of getting stronger without serious twist involved and in each episode there is usually just one plot that occupies most of the time. So can't call it a masterpiece level. Overall Rating: 6/10 4. Konchuu Monogatari Minashigo Hutch The Adventures of Hutch the Honeybee 昆虫物語みなしごハッチ [1970-II] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/91) Tags: Adventure, Comedy, Drama Hutch is a small honeybee who got separated from his mom when his home was destroyed by invading wasps, and he now desperately wants to find her back. It's the beginning of an adventure that will make him meet all kinds of friendly insects who try to help him out, but unfortunately for most of them, they will not survive the end of the episode... Thanks to humor it's way better than just analogue of Kimba the white lion, just in the world of insects. Still it's just aimless and plotless adventures, so the score can't go any higher. Overall Rating: 5/10 5. Akakichi no Eleven 赤き血のイレブン [1970-II] TV Tokyo, DOGA Productions (Dropped 3/52) Tags: Team Sports At Shinsei high school, soccer is almost a combat sport and new team coach Teppei Matsuki is a fully paid up sadist who will push his team as hard as necessary to win. Headstrong school bad boy Shingo Tamai and his friend Ohira are determined not to be bullied into joining Matsuki's team; instead they set up a squad of their own, and at first play just for fun and struggle to keep up with Matsuki's team. As their skills progress, they play other teams and get stronger and craftier, until they face the crack Asakase high school squad and its star player Misugi Yan in the schools' final. In a tangle of subplots involving old rivalries and injuries, and a mixed-race player seeking his identity and his lost mother (who turns out to be in jail), Shingo develops his skills as a center forward and looks forward to playing a visiting Brazilian squad. He is seriously injured in a game, but his talent, which even the legendary Brazilian Pele recognizes, is equaled by his determination. With the help of a friend of his old rival Matsuki, he recovers to help the team to victory. Definitely melodrama rather than a sports series proper, this is the first in the line of Japanese soccer soaps that stretches to Captain Tsubasa and beyond. Based on a manga by Ikki Kajiwara and Kosei Sonoda. Spokon with more traditional school hooligans. It's actually rather nice as it focuses on drama around characters and soccer instead of soccer itself. I see the appeal, but it lacks humor to become something bigger. Overall Rating: 5/10 6. Bakuhatsu Gorou Goro the Terrible ばくはつ五郎 [1970-II] Tele-Cartoon Japan (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Comedy, Sports The non-athletic head of the school newspaper department participates in various club activities, including a number of sports clubs, with disastrously hilarious results. Super school boy concept is too simple, as for me. Vast use of humor helps a lot, but it's not omnipotent. It's still just episodic stories with some morale at best. Protagonist is clumsy and hesitating and charismatic, but still has ways to go compared to Onizuka. Overall Rating: 6/10 7. Otanoshimi Anime Gekijou おたのしみアニメ劇場 [1970-II] Fuji TV, Studio Zero (Dropped 0/26) Tags: Comedy Based on the original story by Studio Zero. Not found Overall Rating: 0/10 8. Nippon Tanjou 日本誕生 [1970-III] Mushi Production (Dropped 0/5) Tags: Historical A history of Japan with the main characters as animals. Not found Overall Rating: 0/10 9. Cleopatra クレオパトラ [1970-III] Mushi Production (Dropped 3/13) Tags: Historical Sci-Fi In the far future, earthlings come across the foreign planet of Pasatorine. Few things are understood about the planet, but it is clear that earthlings are not welcome there. However, the inhabitants of Pasatorine have initiated something called the "Cleopatra Plan." Puzzled why an alien planet would name a plan after a woman from Earth, the military decides to send three soldiers' minds back to the past to study Cleopatra's life. The Kingdom of Egypt, led by the drunkard Ptolemy, is threatened by Julius Caesar and the Roman empire. In an attempt to save Egypt, Cleopatra, the younger sister of Ptolemy, chooses to undergo a procedure that makes her body irresistible to Caesar. Caesar is immediately smitten and desires to rule Egypt with Cleopatra at his side—but little does he know that she intends to assassinate him as soon as she can. Second ecchi , and it follows steps of Senya Ichiya Monogatari in a lot of ways even with Osamu Tezuka as director, same experimental, same weird transformation scenes, same loose retelling of known events with all kinds of weird plot moves. Very similar graphics-wise as well. Again, it's a memorable parody, but without any serious concept behind it. Thanks to all the parody and additional humor I'd even rate it as 6, but not higher as there is not actual sense or big idea behind it all, just entertainment. Overall Rating: 6/10 10. Kaitei Sanman Mile 海底3万マイル [1970-III] Toei Animation (Finished 1/1) Tags: Adventure, Fantasy Returning home from an ocean trip, young Isamu meets the beautiful sea-dweller Angel on a volcanic island. Attacked by a fiery dragon, Isamu and Angel escape on the observation boat See Through, and Angel invites Isamu to see her undersea kingdom of Atlas. From the start I thought it reminded ghost ship Soratobu Yuureisen, and at times it almost felt like direct plagiatry. This time plot hardly goes anywhere, so musical is partially incorporated. But now there's some humor it , so I can rate it a bit higher. But it remains just an adventure story. Overall Rating: 5/10 11. Mahou no Mako-chan Mako the Mermaid 魔法のマコちゃん [1970-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 3/48) Tags: Shoujo Fantasy, Romance Mako is a young siren and daughter to the King of the Sea. In a stormy day she rescues the young sport Akira from a wrecked ship, but ends up falling in love with him. So, with help from the Witch of the Sea, she's transformed into a human, and becomes a highschool student who helps everyone with her strong sense of love and justice and her magical pendant, the "Tear of the Mermaid." It's difficult for me to evaluate a shoujo without substantial humor. As a school shouojo with just protagonist in the focus it reminds Himitsu no Akko-chan the most of all previous ones. And I see nothing special in it. Overall Rating: 5/10 12. Kick no Oni Demon of the Kick キックの鬼 [1970-IV] Toei Animation (Dropped 2/26) Tags: Shounen Combat Sports An arrogant karate master named Tadashi Sawamura enters the kickboxing ring to prove his superiority, only to be beaten into a coma by a practictioner of the new art. After recovering, his trainer Endo convinced Sawamura to study kickboxing in order to regain his honor. The series is loosely based on the real-life exploits of champion kickboxer Tadashi Sawamura. Dead serious and boring kick-boxing spokon starting with a defeat. Overall Rating: 4/10 13. Inakappe Taishou General Inakappe いなかっぺ大将 [1970-IV] Tatsunoko Production (Dropped 3/104) Tags: Comedy, Sports A comedy about a country boy that travels to the city to study judo. He ends up meeting the daughter of a prominent dojo and her judo skilled cat. Each episode features 2 stories. Humor is rather decent, but nothing special. Protagonist is sort of simple-minded. Other characters are also just surface-scratching. Feels too childish. Overall Rating: 5/10 14. Norakuro のらくろ [1970-IV] Eiken (Dropped 3/26) Tags: Comedy Norakuro is a black dog enlisted in the "Mokenrentai" (Fierce Dog Brigade), an Imperial army of dogs fighting in a war against the enemy Monkey Army. Norakuro is a stray black-and-white dog in an army of white dogs who blundered his way while being a Private Second-Class. This series was relatively faithful to the comics. One big change, however, was the addition of the army nurse Miko, whom Norakuro had a crush on. For this series, Norakuro was voiced by Nobuyo Ooyama, who would later become noted for voicing Doraemon. I felt like I saw black and white pre-war anime of it, and it indeed turned out to be an old military franchise parodying USSR and USA in the form of animals. Watching it nowadays feels very weird and out-of-time, humor is either too simple or too specific to enjoy. Overall Rating: 4/10 15. Otoko Doahou! Koushien 男どアホウ! 甲子園 (Dropped 0/156) Tags: Action, Sports The story of a dim country boy who dreams of making it to the high school baseball championships in Koshien. Each 10 minutes episode ran from Monday to Saturday. Not found Overall Rating: 0/10 16. Ijiwaru Baasan いじわるばあさん [1970-IV] Knack Productions (Dropped 0/13) Tags: Comedy, Slice of Life Based on a 1966 manga by Sazae-san creator Hasegawa Machiko. This is another slice-of-everyday-life tale, centered around a spiteful old woman who causes trouble for neighbours with her constant bumbling and grumbling Not found Overall Rating: 0/10
Futamata Ren'ai is our only candidate/winner this month.
1. Uchi no Pet Jijou Vol. 1 ウチのペット事情 Vol.1  Animal Herb 1 Based on the doujinshi series of the same name, this visual novel puts you in the shoes of the protagonist, an unassuming college student who lives by himself. Life goes from ordinary to the extraordinary very quickly when you stumble upon a girl collapsed in front of your apartment building. What makes this even more unusual are the cat ears, tail and wings on her body. Not wanting to abandon her, you offer to take her home and offer her food. While she tries to put on a brave front, her grumbling stomach says otherwise. It turns out she is no ordinary girl but is a Cherubim, a half animal, half angel girl from Heaven. While she normally travels down to Earth to do her job, she ends up being exiled from Heaven and while searching for a certain important object, she becomes exhausted and collapses by the side of the road. One thing leads to another and you find yourself with a new roommate. Her energy and smile brightens up your day and pretty soon a close friendship blossoms into something else as you begin to develop feelings for her. It’s never a dull moment with the cheerful, naively honest, and rambunctious Mint by your side, which is only amplified when Lily, a half-demon and close friend of Mint’s, suddenly shows up on your doorstep in all her over-the-top flirtatious glory. How will your life change in your lovey-dovey life alongside the Cherubim, Mint? Partial localized release has English reviews.
2. Dreamin' Her -Boku wa, Kanojo no Yume o Miru.- Dreamin' Her -僕は、彼女の夢を見る。-  LIFE0 From the white sky, the snow fall and running down her cheeks. We were holding hands, lying on the snow. When our eyes met, she smiles at me―― ――That was the dream I saw when I was a child. On the day when the town turned white by the snow, me and my childhood friend Mirai lying on the snow. I wanna stay as it is. That was what I thought when I was young. I grew up with a faint love. I was certain that our feelings were the same. Until that day. "Sorry. I'm sorry, Ao. But... I'm sorry." It wasn't supposed to be like that. It wasn't supposed to be that way. She was the only one who support my heart, of me who doesn't dream of a great one. I thought she would be with me no matter what. But she went away. Feeling despair of everything, getting up from bed becoming troublesome. I started to having doubt on "reason for living in this meaningless world"―― Then I, had this particular dream. Beautiful coast. White sand beach, calming pale pink sea, a lighthouse that can bee seen in the distance―― ――"She" was there. Mirai's look alike, an ideal girlfriend who will never betray. Not much different from previous LIFE0 all-age projects except that now it's an even more straightforward single heroine story which sacrifices complexity in favor of a seemingly bigger romance impact.
3. Futamata Ren'ai フタマタ恋愛  ASa Project An absolutely lovely awakening: The chirping of the birds... and somebody's warmth. "I'll have you take responsibility so... um... you'll be my boyfriend from now on, got it?" He was supposed to be taking care of a girl he met at a mixer, Toiro Kirame. However, he was mistaken for having a one-night stand with her; the both of them unable to comprehend the situation, the protagonist, Koga Nao, is made to take responsibility. "I'll agree to go out with you! Be glad, Koga-kun." However, his unrequited love, Nobuta Yua, suddenly declares that they will be dating. Having been expressing his love for a while, he is unable to decline at that point---- And, just like that, having made two girlfriends, our protagonist happily makes his debut as a two-timing sack of shit. Maintaining his two relationships, he worries about what he would do from then on, then his relationships begin to change. And, what's more, his girlfriends begin to suspect him, driving him further and further up the wall. Will he dive into the quicksand of love that threatens to sink him further than two-timing? Or, will he seek out a happy ending where nobody is hurt? How will this story that begins with two spontaneous romances unfold? Thoroughly unpredictable, the curtain draws on this quagmire of a love-comedy! ASa Project has proved to be one of the most perspective existing brands. Even with this lightweight plot and significant H tilt, comedy is as hilarious as ever
4. Otome to Fureau, Hitotsu Yane no Shita 乙女とふれあう、ひとつ屋根の下  ensemble SWEET A mysterious yuri novelist is currently in a slump for almost a year. He even tried to wear a woman dress. His sister suggested working as administrator in girl dormitory . Of course he needs to cross-dress all the time there. Will he be able to conceal identity living alongside three beautiful girls? I'm not going to look into another ensemble trap game
BLOCKED 1. Hime to In'yoku no Testament 姫と婬欲のテスタメント  Escu:de Woodfall, Kingdom of Winstoll――. There hasn't been a single ray of sunlight; the sky was closed off by dark clouds for a hundred years. The land feared by the people as the "Cursed Land", abandoned by God, is ruled by the "Beast Lord", Gran Woodfall. Gran, who lives in an old castle deep in a foggy forest is a genuine beast who lives for a hundred years without aging due to a curse. Sylphia, the princess of the Kingdom of Winstoll, was invited to the "Beast Lord" Gran's castle. Princess Sylphia had been presented as Gran's fiancée by the contract that had been signed between Gran and King Winstoll. She is a princess that was confined in the royal castle since she was a child. A "Cursed Princess", a princess with a curse that called for disaster. However, it was the princess' curse that is sought by Gran. "The preparations are complete. Ring the bell, the time is ticking, fill the vessel with curses. Come on―― let's get the "ritual" started." Gran had lived for a hundred years, wishing only to take back his lover, whom he had lost due to his unreasonable fate. Having obtained Sylphia's curse; a necessary power for the sake of his objective. Gran began the "ritual" with the cursed monsters that had been summoned in the castle. In the middle of the forest, shrouded in mist and darkness, the curtains opened on the training ceremony of lust for a virgin in the cursed castle――. Nukige listed for opening's sake
It's becoming a tradition, but there's again just one candidate that fits to run for game of the month and wins by default - Unless Terminalia
1. Ai Kiss 3 アイキス３  Giga Arimori Gakuen is an art school . Two years have passed since enrollment and relations with different girls around. This year two new girls Maniwa Karin and Ikenaga Avrola enroll , so new story page brings even more fun. Moege sequel
2. Himemiya-san wa Kamaitai 姫宮さんはかまいたい  Prekano Main character was looking for a new school club to join when Tsubaki Himemiya forced him into joining tea ceremony club. Soon it turns out that it's full of ghost members , so it more and more starts to remind a date. Not a month without vanilla nukige. With so few titles can't just strike it out.
3. Hokenshitsu no Sensei to Gothloli no Koui 保健室のセンセーとゴスロリの校医  Citrus "I, may have been looking for spring." "Maybe I was looking for love." Kazami Sora is still working as a nurse at Saika Girls' Academy as planned after the first semester has passed. His traveling companion, Shirobana, works as an assistant, but they no longer live together at their hot spring resort, Shikisai-no-Sato. After seeing his sister off peacefully, Sora has decided to lead a life not for her anymore but for himself. Shirobana, who knows this better than anyone else, decides to step aside and watch over Sora from afar, just as Sora's older sister did in the past. Autumn is the season of school events, including a field trip to a lavender field and a school festival held jointly by the schools. As time passed by, one day, a new mystery was added to the Seven Mysteries of the school. It is said that oni (demons) appear at night, and they ravage the school grounds. Sora, who thinks it is the work of the Tamabito, is starting to investigate the case as an Okuribito. He is accompanied by Otohime, the school doctor, who is also a reliable coworker and drinking companion. The language of cherry blossoms is the language of beauty. And that of purity. ---- It's more of a fandisc as it's a rather short kinetic story focusing on a side character introduced in the previous work
4. Unless Terminalia アンレス・テルミナリア  Whirlpool High school Morinomiya Gakuen is located in the deep, deep forest. Neighboring towns consider this place a sanatorium. Boys and girls with extraordinary abilities are gathered from all over the world at this school. The "Yuzuriha Institution" protects them and researches the "gift" bound in them. The "gift" is considered to be of heavenly nature. Main character is cursed to forget everything except for one chosen memory, so he is placed in this school to find that most important memory to carry over. One day he meets a transfer student Mikuriya Ren who wants to experience the joy of youth in this place, but who is about to die soon by a wicked twist of fate. This is a story about the meaning of fate. God certainly exists and keeps asking boys and girls about it... Good to see Whirlpool following the flow of Pieces rather than some other its infamous projects. Individual elements are fine, so if you can stand all this heavenly providence and resurrection themes, could be more entertaining than Pieces.
The good news that there is still a release that qualifies to run for the game of the month - RE:D Cherish . The bad news that it's again the only one that fits the criteria for me.
1. HEAVEN BURNS RED ヘブンバーンズレッド  Key 1 The setting of this game is girls being in several military units. 31A, 31B, 31C, 31D, 31E, 31F, and 31X, each with their very own motto and motivation, which all serve as humanity's last hope against "Cancer", an interstellar force which is laying siege on humanity. Bleak future aside, Heaven Burns Red tasks players with the role of fighting against Cancer, by recruiting and sending off girls to fight them. Characters in the game wield Seraph—weapons that can harm Cancer. Mobile Exclusive RPG
2. 1/1 Kareshi Kanojo １／１彼氏彼女  SMEE Main character is in love, but romance is difficult for him because of three reasons: 1. Encounter is difficult even with effort applied and happens mostly due to pure luck 2. Even upon meeting timing to show affection may easily turn wrong 3. What if she rejects? One must be extremely lucky for all three points to coincide. With such thoughts protagonist spends winter days of the second year of high school. Moege
3. Boku to Kanojo no Kojin Lesson 僕と先生の個人授業  Azarashi Soft+1 "...What should I do in the future?" Kido Yusuke was worried. He studied hard so that he could go on to any job in the future. And he also worked a part-time job to supplement his living expenses. But he don't know what his want to do in the future. And he couldn't talk to anyone about that problem... One day, the teacher came to the student dormitory where he lives. "I'm living here from today. We're a teacher and a student, but I'm glad if you'll get along with me." Tsukimori Misaki, an elder teacher who suddenly decided to live with him. Yusuke casually asks Misaki. --How can I find my future goals? "You just have to spread your insights. Like a student, play a lot and experience a lot." He don't know what to do even if he's told to play and experience--. Yusuke didn't feel like that until now. "Then... may I cooperate for you?" The days when the teacher and the student spend time under the same roof. Times that were unthinkable in my life will change every day little by little--. Usual share of vanilla nukige
4. Ever Maiden ~Daraku no Sono no Otome-tachi~ エヴァーメイデン ～堕落の園の乙女たち～  Liar-soft This story is about "Puerarium", a school isolated from the outside world by fog and thorns. Here strict discipline is always in effect, where the air always tense and time never disturbed. However, one morning a girl was found unconscious in front of the school gate. This gate is always closed and should only open on special occasions. The guards, on alert, asked her to name herself to which she replied "Alouette." At that moment, the bell of the clock tower, which was rusty and always silent, rang out. "When the bell of the clock tower rings, the end of this school will come soon." Like the gossip had hinted, it was the beginning of a nightmarish turmoil in Puerarium. Alouette who had became a student after many complications, violated curfew and left her room. What she saw there was a school that had turned into a different world, and a strange shape that wandered around with a murderous intent. With determination she called out to the girl in front. Yuri
5. Grisaia: Phantom Trigger Vol. 8 グリザイア ファントムトリガー Vol. 8  Frontwing At last, an all-out war is at hand. The battle against the religious organization, The Fatal Answer (TFA), has entered its final phase, with CIRS and SORD preparing to send all of their troops into TFA's stronghold. The battlefield soon descends into total chaos. Black rain pours down, civilians become desperate for water, and shots are fired at friend and foe alike. Not even the trenches are safe from the anti-aircraft guns TFA employs, the explosions bombarding the combat zone that the girls are tasked with invading. Such a feat is not unlike invading the depths of hell itself. The underground base is quickly being suffocated by gunpowder, and the dark forest that surrounds the battlefield reeks with the stench of death. But both contain within them the faint yet tenacious flames of life; will those flames be able to withstand the harsh realities of war? This must never, ever be repeated again... "Listen up, everyone! Final equipment checks!" "Yeah, there's nowhere to retreat to." "Is it okay to kill them?" "We can die happy." "Thank God! I'll never let you go again!" "Life itself is war..." "Prepare for close-quarters combat!" "Holy crap! Look! They're charging right at us!" "They've completely lost their minds..." "Well then, I guess it's time to end this... What are you going to do, Enishi-san?" The girl places her finger on the trigger of fate... "Why... Why do you fight?" Great news for those who still follow
6. RE:D Cherish!  CRYSTALiA 1 Time is 206X, place is resort island "Eruteria" that advocates "freedom for all." Main character arrives here having lost his hometown and everything he had. There he meets a white-haired girl Unika who also was robbed of her family restaurant business run by her father. Her dream is to restore the diner. Together they try to make this dream come true in the atmosphere of total freedom bordering with the state of lawlessness. There is an English review
Despite all the looks I still find as many as ten games to be great. And still 50 openings to enjoy Visual Novel Openings 2021 . Since I prioritize chunige , my choice for the year is Waga Himegimi ni Eikan o . As for plans, hardly anything has changed except that I'm first going for Sakura, Moyu. -As the Night's, Reincarnation- , but so far only recorded common route over last three months, so useless to plan further. Will definitely get more active when I finish all the postponed RPGs , six titles accumulated so far.
My list of masterpieces in 2021: Buddy Mission Bond Fuyukara, Kururu. Genpei Ryouran Emaki -Gikei- Kunado Kokuki Madohi Shiroki no Kamikakushi Meikei no Lupercalia Monkeys!¡ Sousaku Kanojo no Ren'ai Koushiki Umi to Yuki no Cyan Blue Waga Himegimi ni Eikan o
Just one game qualifies to run for game of the month and it becomes winner by default - Hentai Prison
1. Shiori no Kotoha - Dark Reflections - シオリノコトハ - Dark Reflections -  CyberStep, Inc. At the end of a deep forest, there was a large library with European-style architecture. Kenji Azuma drops by the library whenever he finds time. The reason why Kenji, who doesn't usually read books, comes by so much is because of the girl who works at the library, Shiori Tokita. Kenji falls in love with her at first sight, and spends his days in the library reading and watching Shiori. One day, Kenji falls asleep and is awakened by the sound of an emergency bell... The area was pitch black and the doors would not open...the library had turned into an inescapable prison. Within the locked down library, Kenji and his friends are tossed about by the mysteries hidden there and the murders that occur... All-age B-class horror remake with vtuber gimmicks instead of seiyu
2. Kurokami-sama no Bansan クロカミサマの晩餐  Minato Carnival World 1 Domaru is a young manga artist just trying to survive after his work was discontinued. He joins a group dedicated to learning about spirits, yokai and the occult in order to find new material for his next story. But, there is one urban legend that especially catches his eye – the tale of Kurokami-sama. Domaru's curiosity takes hold, but he quickly learns there's wisdom to the phrase "be careful what you wish for" when his investigation leads him to the real Kurokami-sama. She spares his life on one condition – he must hunt down the other yokai, slay them, and bring them back to her. But Kurokami-sama is as capricious as they come, and she won't hesitate to send Domaru to an early grave if he makes even a single mistake. Subject to the whims of a powerful yet beautiful creature, what will Domaru do? Serve her eternally, or fight for his freedom? There is an English review
3. Needy Girl Overdose  WSS playground Needy Girl Overdose is a “multi-ending ADV” depicting daily life with “OMGkawaiiAngel-chan”, a young girl with a rather extreme need for approval attempting to become the #1 “Internet Angel” (streamer). SIM
4. U-ena -Toohanabi no Shoujo- U-ena -遠花火の少女-  Hemiola Studio 1 ―Far fireworks― That flash orange and white in the sky, and bloom blue flower at the end. This celestial event has recently begun to appear and people call that "Far fireworks." The story is set in nondescript rural junior high scool. Tomoki belong to a club that mix literatureclub and tea ceremony club. That called "Kotonoha Circle." It was the night he saw Far fireworks. He meets soaked girl in the center of lake. He spend usual days with Yuena and club president of Kotonoha Circle, Utano Shinonome,but suddenly accelerated unreality approaches the peaceful reality. An unreal secret that approaches when you meet someone you thought you couldn't meet. ― ■■ in the world. Even if taking her hand will eventually change the world, I am ー. A summer seem to prolong the moment cross between two people for all eternity. I'm still praying in the sky that time should continue forever. There is an English review for Early Access game
5. Magatsu Barai マガツバライ  light “Spiritshine” is a mysterious power that has long-existed in humanity and nature. Hayato Isurugi—the apprentice of a “Spiritualist,” whose livelihood is to master the use of that power and exorcise demons—was enjoying his peaceful young life at Shinwa Academy. Working part-time making charms to earn money; enjoying silly, lighthearted conversation with good friends; and secretly planning out a gift for his older sister as thanks for all that she does for him… But his ordinary, albeit pleasant routine is shattered by the arrival of an unforeseen assailant. While the Academy falls into pandemonium, Hayato is deathly injured trying to protect his friends. But just as he is about to die, he encounters a young woman named “Magatsu,” the incarnation of an evil spirit sealed by his ancestors. It was 1,000 years ago, during the Heian era, that the city was shaken by the 13 Demon Generals. Taking the appearance of a beautiful young woman, the Calamity Shion smiled. “Well, now… do you want to live, fool?” “Here is the deal. Free me thyself.” “And I will give thee strength.” And thus the story began. The glistening days of youth. “Even a little rock can make something happen if it starts moving!” Like a clear sky, Magatsu Barai. Console exclusive
6. Hentai Prison ヘンタイ・プリズン  Qruppo -"Tulip Prison". This is a prison where only sex offenders who are judged to be "impossible to rehabilitate" are imprisoned nationwide. The ninth correctional facility is a prison built on an isolated island in middle of an ocean, where no one can escape. Minato Shuuichirou is a boy who lives in Tokyo. He got the nickname of "naked man" from the police. He couldn't tolerate the existence of clothes and couldn't stand being clothed. He repeatedly kept exposing himself everyday on impulse, even risking his life. On one day with beautiful illuminations, he was arrested for public obscenity and obstruction of official duties. He defended himself in court pleading that his exposure was an act of art, but his claim was never accepted. He was found gulity of assault on the police and repeated obscenity. And he was sentenced to ten years' imprisonment. He was also judged to be "impossible to rehabilitate" and imprisoned in the Tulip Prison. Can an exhibitionist survive in this prison haunted by demonic prisoners? This prison of sex offenders called "HENTAI" is by no means a paradise. Third attempt of Qruppo to mix nukige theme with a plotge, but if earlier healthy people were put into lewd atmosphere, this time it's the opposite.
7. Kami no Kuni no Mahoutsukai 神の国の魔法使い  NekoNeko Soft Main character comes with sister to Tokyo for a sightseeing trip. At a mysterious shrine they get back in time to Japan 1000 years ago. They start to get along with the villagers and even meet a cute wizard girl, so adventures begin! Partially released so far
8. Tomodachi Kara Koibito e 友だちから恋びとへ  Azarashi Soft Main character is forced to participate in speed dating by his boss. There protagonist meets two girls he already knows and decides to spend more time with one of them. More vanilla nukige
9. Venus Blood: Savior  Dual Tail The continent of Levancia, where humanity enjoys prosperity under the blessing of Harial, the goddess of the sun. The goddess of darkness, Ishtar, was sealed, and the dark demons were squeezed into the frontiers and the bottom of the earth. Because of the era full of light, the demons seek a savior. An old demon king who once followed Ishtar. His resurrection was the long-cherished wish of the demons. Time has passed and the Demon King finally makes his resurrection. Regius, the hero of the demons. And confronting him are the heroes of the sacred treasures of this world. "Now is the time to create a demon paradise ──!" The battle to bring about change in the age of light and darkness is about to begin. SIM
BLOCKED 1. Houkago Cinderella Mini Fandisk ~Anata to Kaeru Saigo no Gekoudou~ 放課後シンデレラ ミニファンディスク ～あなたと帰る最後の下校道～  Hooksoft After-stories with each heroine after graduation. Fandsic 2. Gekko no Sword Breaker - Minato-hen 月光のソードブレイカー ミナト編  Iron Sword Modern time. The largest machine product company "Imperial Heavy Industries" gets the control share of "Automata" and starts producing cyborgs for households. High school student Yuto gets caught up in an automata runaway incident, but soon the third-generation automata Nova saves his life. Yuto was taken to Nova hideout and given a serious assignment - to fall in love with five school idols to defeat "Mugen Tukuyomi". First target is student council president Minato. Doujin
A lot of titles got delayed till April, so we're sitting at 10 titles again just like in February. Onigokko! is the only masterpiece I acknowledge. Micchi basically only favors Onigokko and games that got delayed, so let's anticipate a hot April.
1. Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto - Ginga Bishounen Densetsu STAR DRIVER 輝きのタクト 銀河美少年伝説  Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc. In Southern Japan, there lies the verdant Minamijuuji Island. One night, a youth by the name of Tsunashi Takuto arrives on one of the island's beaches. This youth, who had swam to the island from the mainland, subsequently enters Minamijuuji Academy's High School Division. Possessing a positive and forward-looking attitude, he easily develops relationships with Agemaki Wako, Shindou Sugata, and various other people he meets at the Academy. However, Minamijuuji Academy hides a big secret. Beneath it, 20 humanoid constructs lie dormant. In this land that lies under a blue sky and surrounded by blue seas, a story of love, dreams and friendship begins. Anime spin-off
2. Suzumiya Haruhi no Tsuisou 涼宮ハルヒの追想  guyzware This is a sequel to "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" movie, an adaptation of the fourth installment of the popular Haruhi Suzumiya light novel series. This sequel, The Reminiscences of Haruhi Suzumiya, is a direct continuation of the film's ending, taking place in the parallel world where the SOS Brigade doesn't exist. However, this sequel is a video game, featuring an original story; it just happens to be tied in to the plot closer than most Haruhi games. Anime spin-off
3. 12+  anisetta Anisetta’s debut game is based off Arthurian legend. In a period of chaos and war, the throne is vacated with the death of the previous king. Arthur becomes the new king and is attacked by the 11 surrounding countries, but he fights them off and instead is viewed as the king of all countries. With peace finally in hand, the magician Merlin tells him to marry a princess from a neighbouring country. Even though he had taken her advice many times, he refuses to do so this time. She believes that it is necessary to strengthen the newly-found peace and that he is just afraid because he’s not used to being with girls. Don’t worry, she has a plan and the Knights of the Round Table will gladly help out. Game is rough on all edges and with really weak scenario.
4. Bura Bura ぶら ぶら  Wheel Takuji is a guy who’s pretty popular among the girls, but he already has someone he likes: Hitomi, his osananajimi who’s doting and is quite a cute… guy!? Their childhood friend Nakaba, as well as other girls, want him to snap him out of the trap and lead him back to ‘normality’. Silly bakage with all kind of trap/gay humor.
5. Hatsukoi Time Capsule ~Osananajimi to Kyakkya Ufufu~ 初恋タイムカプセル ～幼馴染とキャッキャうふふ～  Citoron Soft 1 When he was small, Kiriya buried a time capsule under a Camphor tree with his 5 osananajimis. Soon after, one of his osananajimis Kazuha moved away and they lost touch with each other. Ten years later, his other four osananajimis Yuuna, Mio, Maika and Anna all attend the same school and stay at the same dormitory as him, but hold back their feelings for him. One day, Kazuha returns and asked him if he still remembers the time capsule and their promise. With Kazuha’s return, the other osananajimis don’t hold back anymore and start making their moves, resulting in chaos. Which osananajimi will he end up with? There is an English review.
6. Onigokko! 鬼ごっこ！  ALcot 1 2 3 A long long time ago, the oni (demons) collected many treasures on an island known as Onigashima and Momotarou came with his three friends to defeat the oni and recover the treasures. Now, there is a thief Ura that is said to be the descendant of the oni and who is stealing all the treasures. His actual name is Keisuke, the protagonist of this story. However, someone else posing as him sent out a notice and he wonders who it is. But soon his cover is blown as the descendants of Momotarou, Kintarou, Issun-boushi and Otohime also attend Onigashima Gakuen. And thus a modern fairy tale is born. There are English reviews
7. Rensai Kisou Camellia Note ~Yume ni Shinobazu, Kirisake Otome!~ 恋祭☆綺想カメリアノート ～夢に忍ばず、斬り咲け乙女！～  tritail Shouichi is a normal student at Raikou Gakuen, which holds an event called Meikousai where students fight for ‘camellia pages’ which hold mysterious power, with the winner getting their wish granted. Even though Shouichi lost his camellia page pretty early, he found himself still stuck on the battlefield. Game can be fun, but scenario and gameplay parts are no good.
8. Secret Game Code:Revise シークレットゲーム CODE:Revise  Flat 1 Another time, another "game". 14 people have been confined to small rural village and fitted with exploding collars. Each one also has PDA with a unique ability and a condition to remove the collar. If anyone tries to leave the designated area or fails to achieve the condition in their PDA, their collar explodes, killing them. This is the "game" of death, where mistrust and manipulation run rampant and death is common. But this time there's also a catch, as when the "Rain starts to fall"... There is an English review
9. Trouble @ Spiral! とらぶる＠すぱいらる！  Aries Keisuke didn’t have much luck finding a job after his graduation, but he finally found a place to work at his father’s cafe Tenryuu. There aren’t many visitors at all, but it’ll do for now. He also helps out with renting out the nearby apartment Nazuki-sou and many cute girls live there. However, his father went missing and debts start piling up… soon he’ll be evicted! All the tenants help him out to renew the cafe and save their home. A banal setting for a banal moege.
10. Tsuyokiss 3gakki つよきす３学期  Candy Soft 1 2 A further retelling of Tsuyokiss and Tsuyokiss 2gakki, takes place a few months after Celeb has transferred to Leo's class (but before the game enters any routes). There are English reviews
BLOCKED 1. Hotch Potch ハチポチ -Liar＆raiL FanDisk-  Liar-soft
Hotch Potch is a fandisk which covers Liar-soft’s titles from Seiken no Inganock to Dosukoi!, as well as all three of raiL-soft’s works. Various characters from the ten works will appear and in the original story, they all seek ways to return to their own worlds. There’s a few original characters that help drive the story.
Kunado Kokuki is the only big title in December.
1. Star Melody: Yumemi Dreamer スターメロディー ユメミドリーマー  Kogado Studio Yumemi Nanahoshi is an ordinary middle school student who lives in the small suburban seaside town Hoshimaki. However, one day a creature named Kirara—the princess of Little Star, a planet destroyed by a monster called Muma—appeared before the ordinary Yumemi. Muma—who manipulates nightmares to devour people’s souls—followed Kirara to Earth in pursuit of her. To save everyone, Yumemi must become a “Dreamer” and defeat Muma with “Purification Songs”! With the support of her childhood friend Kanato, Yumemi becomes a Dreamer and continues to fight against Muma. To protect the peace on earth. And to protect everyone’s dreams! After all these years Kogado Studio still parasites over rhythm games. Stability.
2. Vtuber Maid Ramie Vtuberメイドラミエ  iMel Inc. It all started when the protagonist randomly came across a video of the newly debuted maid Vtuber "Ramie Amatsuka." Our lonely hero was tired of his job and lost his lust for life, his only comfort being Ramie Amatsuka's live streams. At first, she was just an illustration. However, through the wonders of technology, she started to be able to truly come to life. Eventhough it was through the screen, just by watching her channel grow and how enthusiasticaly she chatted with her audience, he felt his spirits lift. One day, Ramie Amatsuka, a former citizen of the virtual world, appeared in front of the protagonist by jumping through the screen... "Spend time with the cheerful maid Vtuber who wants to take care of you. Your fun and raunchy room-sharing life begins now!" Not the first fanservice work milking vtubers, not the last.
3. Kiss Kara Hajimaru Gyaru no Koi ~Kurumi no Uwasa to Honto no Kimochi~ キスから始まるギャルの恋 〜くるみのウワサとホントのキモチ〜  Prekano Second-year student Tsutazawa Hiroki has a disposition to want to help people in trouble and his interest is directed at the girl sitting next to him in class: Hiiragi Kurumi. If she was just a simple kogal with a flashy hairstyle, then perhaps he would've treated her as just another classmate. But, people told bad rumors about her. She looked resigned to her fate, always gazing out of the window, putting a wall between her and the rest of the class – if anyone was not meant to be there, it was her. Hiroki's relationship with her was triggered by a chance encounter. Being aware of the face she's always making, Hiroki starts questioning her on her situation. Kurumi is touched by his meddlesomeness and gradually becomes more interested in him... Concealed behind her appearance, there hides the pure and vulnerable love of a Kogal. It began with a teasing kiss and then rushed past like a spring breeze. Can't block it with PS4 release coming. Can't bother discussing it either.
4. Kunado Kokuki クナド国記  Purple Software 1 One day, metals have gained a will and randomly began to attack humanity all over the world――― Without knowing the cause, all the civilization and history on the earth were destroyed, and mankind has been hit by unprecedented catastrophes for about 1,000 years. Humans drastically reduced their numbers and managed to survive while resisting the attack against the metal with will Tetsuoni. Many of the remaining humans have awakened to their supernatural powers, and devoted themselves to the days of battle. Meanwhile, a girl named Natsuhime, one of the warriors belonging to the frontier country of Kanto, defeats Kurokami, the greatest threat of Tetsuoni. The people of Kanto who survived are shaken and rejoices the disappearance of a thousand-year-old threat to human existence. This story revolves around the boy Kurotetsu Shin, who has no memory of being found in the remains of Kurokami after the battle. It is a story of mankind's revival and how it reconstructs history from the former civilization that humans lost to Kurokami. There is an English review
5. Lunaria -Virtualized Moonchild-  Key 1 The Moon and Earth: a love story spanning 384,400 kilometers. Skyout is a cutting-edge VR action-battle race. T-bit is not your ordinary high school student. He's also an undefeated genius gamer. Day in and day out, he logs into Skyout, winning lots of prize money. But one day he ends up wandering into a mysterious area. Lunar World, a Moon server whose existence no one knows about. There T-bit meets an AI avatar who introduces herself as LUNAR-Q. It turns out that she's a rejected mascot character for a lunar terraforming project, and she dreams of seeing the Earth some day... There are English reviews
6. Princess ☆ Sisters! ~Yon Shimai wa Zen'in Anata no Iinazuke~ プリンセス☆シスターズ！～四姉妹は全員あなたの許嫁～  Princess Sugar The main character, Kaburagi Ryou, once lived a wealthy life. But after his father, who had a business for many years in the Republic of Kynesburg in Western Europe, died of illness, Ryou became bankrupt and struggled to survive while working part-time. One day, a mysterious maid "Sakura" appeared in front of him and said - "I want to support you.", and asked him to sign a contract as soon as possible. But why me...? Despite thinking that way initially, the request was somehow related to the Republic of Kynesburg, and thus, was sort of related to his father, and so he decided to accept it. Soon, there came a phone call from Sakura to Ryou to meet her at a specific location. When he went there, alongwith Sakura, there were four sisters "Flora", "Anise", "Cheryl", and "Eimi" with her, and Ryou had to take care of all four of them. The truth behind all this was that the King, who felt gratitude towards Ryou's father, wanted to invite Ryou into the royal family. Therefore, he decided to carry out a big matchmaking project in which all the four sisters, who were also his daughters, were made Ryou's fiancee, and the princess chosen by Ryou as his wife, was to become the number one successor to the throne. Thus, "the matchmaking project and a new life for Ryou, with the four princess sisters", has begun. If pure moege still exists, this is the closest thing to it.
BLOCKED 1. Nanagane Gakuen -Ryokou Bu- 七ヶ音学園 -旅行部-  Luna System Main character Kei Tokisaka, is a second year student attending a travel club. He is an ordinary student, but he has a secret that he can't tell anyone about. He adores club members who are all beautiful girls: the beautiful head of the club, the idol girl, the honor student's childhood friend, and cute younger students. The life of the club is filled with excitement , anxiety , humor and romance. Fandisc
There are as many as two games about GameDev, and since there's not much else to look at, one of them Sousaku Kanojo no Ren'ai Koushiki becomes game of the Month.
1. Yuru Camp△ - Have a Nice Day! ゆるキャン△ Have a nice day!  MAGES. GAME Take on the roles of Kagamihara Nadeshiko and Shima Rin, and enjoy a branching story where the camp contents change in a big way based on your choices. With “what if” scenarios not depicted in the TV anime, this is a game Laid-Back Camp fans will not want to miss. The game features various "what if" scenarios. What if everyone went to the Takabocchi Highlands, where Rin originally went solo? What if Rin camped solo at Shibire Lake, where she originally went with Nadeshiko? What if Rin brought a portable grill to Lake Motosu? Despite featuring the same scenes as the anime, you can still enjoy a fresh camping experience! In Laid-Back Camp: Have a Nice Day!, you can relive the Laid-Back Camp experience by visiting Lake Motosu, Fumoto Campsite, Eastwood Campsite, Takabocchi Highlands, Shibire Lake, Jinbagatayama Campsite, and Fujinomiya. Furthermore, Lake Tanuki Campsite, which only appears by name in the original comic, has also been added as a campground. But whether you are able to camp there depends on your actions. Anime Spin-Off
2. NinNinDays 2  qureate A young man is dazing off while working the night shift at a convenience store, when a girl stops in to ask for a meat bun. The one next to her appears to be her boyfriend, and after doing their shopping, the two of them link arms affectionately and take off. Just when the young man is thinking how nice it would be to have a girlfriend, a pair of girls in ninja cosplay show up. The girls just stare at the shop goods without buying anything in particular. Even worse, they're even chatting about ninja techniques or something along those lines. When he calls out to them to prevent theft, it becomes apparent that they have no money. Despite suspecting that they might try to steal something, he gives in and buys a bento for the two desperately pleading girls. The life of that young man is turned upside down from the moment of his encounter with the two young women. A roommate life with two female ninja, one a Chuunibyou, and the other a fanservice machine, is about to begin?! And so begins a new love story with two ninja girls! Sequel is released in English
3. Asatsugutori アサツグトリ  Nippon Ichi Software Hibari wakes up in a strange room alongside seven other girls. An announcement from above confused the girls. "Only one person who survives till the end can leave the building." "We recommend that you give it all your best to survive for as long as possible even just for one second, and you may be able to use magic." A few days after the girls' mysterious communal life begins, an incident finally occurred. Hibari regrets not being able to stop the scene of death that happened in front of her. "If only I could go back before she died…" The next day, when Hibari wakes up and goes to the cafeteria, she saw the girl who died the day prior. The ability to travel back in time "With this power, you can start over as many times as you like. No one will ever die again." Console exclusive detective
4. Hoshi no Otome to Rikka no Shimai 星の乙女と六華の姉妹  ensemble Main character Yuki is a popular streamer. Despite his cute looks he is actually a man. He impersonates as his sister to attend top high school for idols that is forbidden for men. Traps is not my thing
5. Sousaku Kanojo no Ren'ai Koushiki 創作彼女の恋愛公式  Aino+Links 1 Our protagonist, Toshiki Kagami, is headed to Tokyo, where he will begin living with his cousin and her family. Unbeknownst to others, he harbors a desire within himself. He wants to rekindle that creative spark he all but lost now. He had a childhood friend, Aisa Ayase. They were two peas in a pod, always competing against each other, seeing who could create better stories. However, as they grew older, their thoughts and mindset slowly started differing more and more from each other. In the end, Aisa moved with her family to Tokyo. The now separated Aisa and Toshiki would still send letters to each other, talking about their current lives and, of course, sending each other stories for the other to read. However, once the prospect of entering high school drew ever so closer, the letters from Aisa all but disappeared. Nonetheless, Toshiki continued writing stories, making doujin games and eventually, he would debut with his first commercial light novel. And while the cultivation of his creative prowess was growing steadily, he hit a slump half a year ago. And so, he postulated that perhaps spending time with similarly aged creators would help him break free of his slump. Steeling himself, Toshiki enrolled in Saika Private Academy, a school designed for creators to gather in one space. With that, spring rolls around and Toshiki is in Tokyo, ready to start his new school life. And it is there that he reunites with Aisa once more. There are English reviews
6. Uchi wa Mou, Enki Dekinai. ウチはもう、延期できない。 Sonora 1 Spring break. Miyamura Miku, a hobby writer of light novels, is approached by her older sister Miyamura Karin, who reveals to her that she's working as a voice actress for erotic games. "The company I am working for right now needs someone to assist with writing the sex scenes!" Karin asks for Miku's assistance. "Wait, I'm still a virgin, you know? I have no clue how to write such a thing!" At the same time the protagonist, Shiiba Masashi, is getting a sudden call from his big sister. "Jeez, we can't! We're delaying. Can't. Impossible. We delay." The one who keeps repeating these phrases like a broken record, is the protagonist's older sister, Shiiba Sayaka - CEO as well as scenario writer of the popular upstart eroge brand "Hades Soft". "If we delay now, then we're done for. The sponsors will be chasing us for the rest of our life in order to reclaim the cash. We have to find a solution or I'll be to the neck in debt! I'll come haunt you if this kills me, okay?!" And so, Masashi ends up being roped into helping them with their eroge development?! This game is centering around eccentric heroines like the key animator Suzumoto Chisa (pen name: Suzuse Akiko) and the reclusive graphic designer Sakakibara Ai. Here comes an ADV about creating eroge that's a little on the weirder side. IF YOU LOVE EROGE, DON'T JOIN AN EROGE COMPANY! There is an English review
Monkeys!¡ is the only bright spot in October.
1. Archetype Arcadia アーキタイプ・アーカディア  Kemco Corporation 1 The world has fallen to Peccato Mania (original sin), which causes the victims to have urges of harming themselves and others. To save his younger sister Christine, who has been afflicted with the disease, Rust logs in to the full-dive online game “Archetype Arcadia,” which is the sole means of stopping the disease’s advancement. Hope, grief, joy, betrayal, and inescapable “death” are found in this game, where players convert their memories into avatars and fight. This is a fully-voiced text novel adventure game that tells a ghastly story of overwhelming volume, guided by memories that should have been lost. There is an English review
2. Maoujou Re:build! 魔王城Re：ビルド！ Astronauts: Sirius A year has passed since the Demon King Gibeon, the embodiment of tyranny, was defeated by the Six Heroes. King Gortain, one of the Six Heroes, saw the surviving demons and numerous demi-humans as a threat and suppressed them through cruel persecution and discrimination. The Demon King's daughter Lapis, the last survivor of the royal lineage, visits a man living in the royal capital outskirts together with her maidservant Kalmia with the intention of restoring the now-ruined demon capital Margurd. The shopkeeper of a run-down fruit store Shigure has another side to him; A "fixer" who will take on any and all commissions provided the price is right. "Lend me your strength and help me gather the seven Mara Crystals!". The desires of the demon King's orphaned scion and the ninja from distant lands entwine with each other. And thus, the rebuild of the demon king's castle at the hands of Lapis and Shigure begins. SIM
3. Kochira, Haha Naru Hoshi Yori こちら、母なる星より  Daisyworld A virus that is said to have come from space brought unprecedented damage to earth. A long time has passed since that catastrophe, and now there are only the six of us in Ikebukuro. The city has shrunk in size, and its buildings have been toppled and decorated with green grass and blue water. The scent of an air conditioner comes from somewhere… “This is Mother Earth!” And we’re doing good today! Yuri romance does not hit the mark for me
4. Keiken Zero na Classmate Pi 経験ゼロなクラスメイトπ  Prekano Your classmate Hoshina Risa is a bright student who treats everyone equally. Misaki Kazuma, who sits in the seat next to her, has fallen in love with her. Unable to control his feelings, Kazuma made up his mind to confess his feelings to her. But when he looks up, Risa is gone. As it turns out, she is extremely shy! Even when he tries to chase after her, he cannot catch up to the former ace of the track and field team. With the help of Risa’s best friend and foul-mouthed classmate Miyazono Mikumo, Kazuma chases after her by all means possible… A hot day in the middle of summer. The runaway drama to hear her reply to your confession is about to begin. Vanilla nukige
5. Kemonomichi ☆ Girlish Square けもの道☆ガーリッシュスクエア  Whirlpool The protagonist, Nakamori Taiga, is an idol otaku working at a curry shop in Akiba. His current obsession is an indie idol group active in Akiba, “Animal Trail ☆ Girlish Square”! They’re still fresh on the scene, but one day their dedicated fans will take them all the way to Japan’s most famous arena, the Budokan… In pursuit of this noble goal he spends his days with a select group of elite comrades (status ambiguously assigned) to fulfill their otaku endeavors. One night in Akiba, on his way home after the last train of the day had departed, Taiga sees the members of Animal Trail practicing. As any fan would, he tries to sneak a peak. To his surprise, the girls are covered in sparkles as their transformation comes undone. Magical beings that he’d never seen before appear out of nowhere. That’s right! Their stage outfits are actually magical girl costumes. Not only are they idols, but they’re also magical girls! Of course, he gets caught and those magical beings give chase, ready to put him out of his misery. It is then that it’s revealed to him that they come from another world and in order to save it they need to gather up energy from humans. And for that purpose, they’re working together with the girls to realize their dream of becoming idols. However, Animal Trail ☆ Girlish Square is still a largely unknown idol group. And thus with little hesitation, Taiga begins his journey as their producer and manager. The stage is set (hopefully) for a magical girl idol success story! Gao~! Our tale starts off with a roar! Niche fetish moege
6. Monkeys!¡  Harukaze 1 2 The protagonist Saruyoshi, a delinquent attending an all-boys school, will attend a ladies' all-girls school as Julia to save his alma mater from being closed down. In the neighboring town from his current school lies the tall and proud Garasunomiya Girls' School. Ever since the Taishō Era, even now are distinguished daughters of noble families currently enrolled there. In other words, it is an ultra-prestigious ladies' all-girls school. And transforming this ultra-prestigious school into a coeducational institution is the sole means to save the all-boys school. So to protect his school filled with memories with his mates, Saruyoshi, with the aid of a refined young lady of a noble family Tsukishima Karasu, enrolled alone in the ladies' all-girls school to improve the optics surrounding males. With the extensive use of the boons of delinquency to solve the young ladies' problems, the protagonist slowly becomes the heartthrob of his new school! On the other hand, since Saruyoshi is also refining his feminine grace and dignity, the guys also developed the hots for him?! With the goal of a symbiotic integration between men and women, this is a slapstick love comedy set in the ladies' all-girls school! There are English reviews
For me only Fuyukara, Kururu. makes a stand in September.
1. Makimura Hazuki no Koigatari 槇村葉月の恋語り  Azarashi Soft+1 The protagonist Kayabuki Akira is troubled by the fact that he has no dreams. After an unfortunate accident in which his apartment was trapped under a fallen tree, he was forced to leave where he was living and was introduced to a rundown apartment called "Shoufuku-sou" with a rent of 20,000 yen as a temporary residence. However, his misfortune is far from over. On the night he moves into the apartment, the wall connecting his room to his neighbor collapses due to a noise problem he caused. Until repairs are completed, he is forced to live with his neighbor, Makimura Hazuki. At first, they are confused by the unfamiliarity of living together (and with the opposite sex), but as they get to know each other, they lose their reservations and gradually grow closer. One day, he is asked to help Hazuki with her hobby of making movies. The wheels of his lost youth slowly and quietly begin to turn. Our usual single heroine vanilla nukige
2. SINce Memories: Hoshi no Sora no Shita de シンスメモリーズ 星天の下で  MAGES. GAME 1 The story follows Mizumoto Jun'ya, a college student who works at his family’s general store Mizumoto-dou. The only thing in Jun'ya’s mind is the death of his older brother Takaya who passed away the year prior. He asks himself every day why he was the one that got to live while his brother passed away. One day, Jun'ya meets a girl who tells him, “You should’ve been the one to die,” before vanishing. Jun'ya ends up taking on the task of renovating a traditional Japanese manor belonging to the family of Houjou Chihaya, your typical flawless ojou-sama and who happens to be his childhood friend. Since he has no idea how to even start, he’ll need to get help from various people, and he’ll need to get out of his funk to do so. Jun'ya will also have to learn how to deal with all of the emotions and problems along the way. Will he succeed in renovating the old Houjou residence? And who was that girl who told him that he should’ve been the one to die? The fate surrounding the death of his brother will soon begin. There are English reviews
3. Omoide Kakaete Ai ni Koi!! 思い出抱えてアイにコイ!!  Hooksoft 1 Spring, the season of encounters and partings. It's spring break, and Sakawa Haruki is about to go into 3rd grade. His childhood friend group includes: Kuriyama Tomari, Tokorozawa Iku, and Sugou Chisato. 2 new girls just joined the group: Harunohara Yuuna, who lives in the next town over, and Nishitani Shizuru, who just moved into the neighborhood. Ironically, at the same time these 2 girls joined, Haruki had to move away from home and his childhood friends. During spring many years later, Haruki's father gets transferred to work overseas. Haruki decides to stay in Japan to concentrate on university entrance exams, and ends up living in an apartment owned by a relative. This apartment happens to be in the same town where he parted from his childhood friends. Thus, the rails of fate cause Haruki and his childhood friends to meet once again. Haruki was worried that the girls wouldn't accept him in the group like they did in the past, but despite the long gap, they were happy to see him and welcomed him back warmly. However, the fact that these girls have grown into beautiful women has caused Haruki to feel more embarrassed than happy. As they reminisce about the past, filling in the blanks between the time they parted, he'll get to know them and perhaps enter into a relationship with one of them... There is an English review
4. Einstein Yori Ai o Komete: Apollo Crisis アインシュタインより愛を込めて APOLLOCRISIS  GLOVETY 1 2 It's been about a year since he returned from Ogasawara. It's the start of summer. Aiuchi Shuuta, who's now a third year at the academy, was lazily watching the seasons pass-- his carefree classmates, his peaceful day-to-day life... and his love who hasn't returned, Arimura Romi. He simply vacantly watched and continued to wait. And to him comes a letter from the head of the Comet Organisation's leader, Miko. Once again, along with his comrades and the rest of the world, he gets caught up in their ambitions regarding the comet. The final summer was about to begin. There is an English review
5. Planetarian ~Snow Globe~ planetarian～雪圏球～  Key 1 This story occurs before the events of the war that brought the world to ruin; at this point, Yumemi has been working at the Flowercrest Department Store's rooftop planetarium for about ten years. One day, Yumemi begins to act strangely, culminating in her simply walking out and wandering around the town. The staff of the planetarium are bewildered, and one of the workers—a woman named Satomi Kurahashi—is ordered to go follow Yumemi and bring her back. Before long, Yumemi begins to run out of battery power. There are English reviews
6. Fuyukara, Kururu. ふゆから、くるる。  Silky's Plus 1 2 "Eh? What do you mean that Shihon-chan might die? Eeh? Shihon-chan's head has gone missing?" It seems Shihon-chan's headless body was found in the meditation room. "B-but, the neck can still be reattached within 48 hours right? Eh? The head can't be found!? S-somebody hid it? And you don't know who? B-but that's..." A murder isn't unusual. After all, there's at least one bloodthirsty killer at school. Murdering people is fine and all but it's considered a taboo that must be never violated to decapitate and hide their head. Because one can never be revived if so. I can't believe someone resented Shihon-chan enough to kill her in a way that would prevent her from being revived. If her head isn't found within two days, she'll really kick the bucket! That's a reality I absolutely refuse! Now's not the time to cry or be confused! There should be something that I am capable of! "That's something I haven't done yet but... I-I!" I'll find Shihon-chan's head without fail! "Say hello to the great detective, me!" A boarding system school isolated from the outside world. --And there do the immortal girls live. The time it takes for them to become an adult is the same time it takes for them to deage and become a baby, they grow up until they become an adult once more and then do they deage again—a cycle that's being repeated. There's only one condition in order to graduate from school. One needed to be deemed a prodigy by someone observing from the outside. The moment that verdict be handed down, the girl's graduation would be recognized and she would disappear from school. The immortal girls' peaceful school life would be greatly disturbed by a certain murder case. Why are the girls immortal? Why do they grow up and then age backwards? How long were they locked up inside the school? Why can they be resuscitated even if their heads are decapitated? What happens to girls who were never deemed a prodigy? What is happening in the outside world? Why are there only girls? Where are the males? What does it mean to die? What does it mean to live? What is life? For what purpose does life exist? --the key to this case is a needle. Wool needle. Knitting needle. Sewing machine needle. Silk needle. Pongee needle. Gas needle. Futon needle. Western-style clothes needle. Bait needle. Marking needle. T-Pin. Triangular leather needle. It is the needle that would weave the immortal girls' death. There is an English review
7. Ore no Cupid ga Ponkotsu Sugite Kowa~i. 俺の恋天使がポンコツすぎてコワ～い。  Hulotte 1 In the midst of an ordinary everyday life. About the time for the yearning for love to sprout. I somehow was unable to take the first step. Such a day has come to pass. "What's this thing?" Before my eyes is a fallen notebook. "Hey, hey, you there!" "Why won't you try picking it up?" A human in presence but not in appearance popped up in front of me. What a strange girl. "I am an angel of love! Got any girl residing in your heart?" How suspicious no matter how you look at it. I tried ignoring her to her dismay as she thrust the notebook at me. "Love Note! This is called the Love Note!" "It possesses the power to fulfill your romantic endeavors guaranteed!" It seems that when you write down the name of your crush, it can gauge the destiny level between her and the current you and it can even provide you ways to improve that level. "By the way, I'll even act as your assistant!" However, 「 If the owner of the Love Note isn't able to find his destined bride-to-be within 90 days, his sex organ is forfeit. Nonreturnable. 」 "Which is why you should do your best, okay?" Thus, while having the support of the love angel, I brandish the power of this so-called Love Note all in the name of fulfilling love. There is an English review
8. Heroine wa Tomodachi Desu ka? Koibito Desu ka? Soretomo Tomefure Desu ka? Second 彼女は友達ですか？恋人ですか？それともトメフレですか？ Second  DESSERT Soft 1 2 Tomefure is a new kind of friend relationship between students in which boy gives runaway girls in trouble free housing. Main character lives alone at a big house, so he goes to the site and opens reservations. To his surprise, all the volunteers are his beautiful classmates. There are English reviews
BLOCKED 1. Waga Himegimi ni Eikan o: Shogun no Yuuwaku 我が姫君に栄冠を 将軍の誘惑  Minato Soft A standalone route for Escudo Pagan. Fandisc
New August, new portion of pain and shame. Princess x Princess wins by default as the only title that qualifies for competition.
1. Hajimete Tateta Ocha ga Coffee no Watashi wa, Hachamechana Otemae de Sadou Taikai Yuushou o Mezasu. はじめて点てたお茶がコーヒーの私は、破茶滅茶なお点前で茶道大会優勝を目指す。 EXLIGHT 1 Amateurs who can't even make the difference between tea and coffee aim to win the tea ceremony tournament! Extraordinarily "ABSURD"・Tea ceremony Adventure! Game is released in English ... and one day someone might even bother to review it
2. Princess x Princess  Navel 1 Autumn has arrived at Verbena Academy. This summer, Lithia was able to become lovers with Raito Aioi, who had dreamed of her since he was a child. There was a figure of Lithia, the princess of the divine world. She experienced the autumn of the human world and was immersed in a melancholic mood. "I know what Raito and I need the most now... and that's a concubine!" When love comes to fruition as love and becomes marriage. Whether or not they should have a wedding ceremony with Raito...Lithia is indulging in future delusions. While worried about the difference in values between humans and the divine world, which is polygamy. After all, if you want to get married, polygamy may be better!? Unknown to Raito, the search for Lithia's wife begins! On the other hand, a mysterious airplane suddenly appears on the grounds of Verbena Academy! "Raito-kun's father, maybe he's alive...?" A mysterious journey begins at Verbena Academy in the fall, triggered by the sudden appearance of an airplane and the girl who lost her memory as a passenger...!! For those who could not have enough of Shuffle 2
3. Tsukihime -A Piece of Blue Glass Moon- 月姫 -A piece of blue glass moon-  Type-Moon 1 2 The first half of the remake of Type-Moon's classic doujin game Tsukihime, featuring a rewritten scenario with major differences in its setting and plot, as well as several new characters. Remake
Nothing good comes out of July. But if I had to play one thing, it would be Fuuraiki 4
1. Amayui Labyrinth Meister 天結いラビリンスマイスター  Eushully After a great adventure over the giant moving weapon ‘Gualacuna Fortress’ Avaro finally acquires a workshop he once dreamed of, but fortress can not move on its own anymore with the magic in its core lost. One day a ghost of the fortress appear, Fia calls her "Kuna" and welcomes to the family. However, spirit is constantly worried about magic anomality on the north-eastern border. So our heroes decide to spend honeymoon investigating the source of trouble. SRPG
2. Fuuraiki 4 風雨来記4  FOG The player is a mid-level reportage writer who participates in “NohiCom,” a reporting competition between magazine publishers, and hunts for stories in Gifu Prefecture. During the day, you will travel by motorcycle and experience the beauty of nature and the different lifestyles of the people. At night, you will camp and write about the things you saw. Discover more of Gifu’s charm, write the best articles, and aim to win the competition within the four-week deadline. Tourist tour adventure is back
3. Fuyu Kiss フユキス  Giga Japan was in the midst of a record setting cold wave. My city - Uetsuruto - was no exception, as we were beset by day after day of freezing weather. Then, one night, I received a text from an unknown number. "Look outside your window! Snow! It's snowing!" Sure enough, the world outside my window had been transformed into a white wonderland. "I'm sorry to text you so late. It's just... you were the first person I wanted to tell." That was the final message they sent me. I had no idea who the sender was. Yet I had the strange feeling that, very soon, I might just fall in love. In a world of snow, a warm and gentle love story is woven. When seasons are over to put in the title, there are still twelve months to use with Kiss
4. Parquet  Yuzusoft SOUR 1 2 3 In the near future, a technology called Brain-Machine Interface connects the brain and machines. This technology brings about a new paradigm and opens the gates to the digitization of human memory itself. From these new discoveries, "he" is born. An illegal experiment mixes thousands of memories into a single vessel, creating a wholly new being. Having only the memories of others, doubts about who he truly is start arising in his mind, until he gathers the courage to go out into the world in search of his true self. As he steps into the real world, he meets two girls, Kido Tsubasa and Ibaraki Rino. Both kind souls whose lives have been touched by unscrupulous BMI experiments, just like him. Learning to live together with their secrets, "he" and "they" will bring about big changes... Game is released in English and has English reviews
5. Asagao wa Ai o Shiranai. アサガオは夜を識らない。  MELLOW Main character travels on a train with a remote island as a destination place. That dream of a rainy night will come true... Middle price work that tries to create a mysterious atmosphere, but gets boring from the middle unless you can appreciate all the beauty of living creature death nonsense. Not a plotge for sure.
6. Shin Hayarigami 3 真 流行り神3  Nippon Ichi Software A new set of occult incidents are investigated by police detective Houjou Maki and her partner Sena. Detective
7. Ore-tachi no Tatakai wa Kore Kara da! 俺たちの戦いはこれからだ！  Vridge Inc. 1 Get ready to be reborn into a fantasy world, just seconds before the last boss' demise! You have no memory of your adventure or heroic strength, and yet the people celebrate you as the Hero who saved the realm. This is just your typical adventure game filled with heroes and heroines... except it starts where games usually end. Game is released in English and has English reviews
8. Houkago⇒Education! ~Sensei to Hajimeru Miwaku no Lesson~ 放課後⇒エデュケーション！～先生とはじめる魅惑のレッスン～  Escu:de Rurinofune (lapislazuli ship) Academy –– The school where ambitious young students from all over the country gather day after day in the pursuit of knowledge. It's not a boys school per se, however, the student body consists of 100% males, which makes people refer to it as the "aromantic stone ship." However, lately the principal has been employing more professional women teachers, who are adept in many fields. Those women have been enjoying reverence and popularity as though they were idols by the male student body. Our protagonist, Arato Kanata, had been moving away from his prestigious hometown and came to Japan and attends Rurinofune Academy as an off-season transfer student. In order to have a chance at graduation, he has to take some after-school remedial classes for several months. And the girls responsible for these classes are those cherished girls that all the students yearn for. Being closer to these teachers than the average student, the character of Kanata's relationship with them soon turns intimate... SIM
9. Yuukyuu no Campanella 悠久のカンパネラ  Windmill Oasis The kingdom of Atlastia -- North of the world, there's a group of flying islands - this is where the flying continent of Atlastia and its well-known titular kingdom is located. And not only in Atlastia itself - everywhere across the flying islands - the legend of a particular clan is being passed down from generation to generation. The legendary heroes clan, "Oasis." Even though they had saved the continent 100 years ago, their sub-commander Chester Silver has laid dormant for ages now. Now, about 100 years have passed and as Chester wakes up from his long arduous slumber he... ...bears witness to the Idol Princess Claria singing her songs to entertain the public. He wakes up as being one of her supporters cheering her on. And then -- Spurred on by Claria's admiration for the Heroes Clan "Oasis," Chester Silver gathers his former companions, the twin sisters Angelique and Juliet Gilbert, to embark on a new adventure. At the same time, a mysterious woman who had woken up from her slumber in the crypt of a ruin, Colette says: "Now that Colette has woken up, this world's fate is sealed." Strange incidents begin to occur in the world and with the causality of 100 years past intertwining, the adventure Chester seeks is closer than he thinks. For those who liked prequels
I'd rather nominate an absolutely incomplete title Ryuusei World Actor: Badge & Dagger than choose from several moege-like games.
1. Toshishita Kanojo 年下彼女  Azarashi Soft 1 "When I grow up, I'm going to marry you, Onii-chan!" This kind of promise is the least likely to be kept in the world. At least, the protagonist, Yunagimoto Yuusuke, believed as much when he thought back on the distant memory of that promise. Then, one day, a younger female relative of his showed up at the apartment where he was living alone and said "I'm old enough to get married now. Will you keep your promise and take me as your wife?" Vanilla nukige
2. DraPri Guu-ta-life 2 竜姫ぐーたらいふ 2  Whirlpool It has been a few weeks since Judgment Day, when dragons filled the skies of the world. People were trying to adjust to a new normal life. However, in the distant skies of the… Star world, a situation was brewing. The dragons are split in half over the treatment of humanity. In the midst of this, the king of the dragons of the “sea” and “water” factions descends to earth (at his own discretion). In the blink of an eye, he chases humans away from the world’s oceans and declares, “This ocean belongs to us,” and “Humans are off limits." The world, deprived of summer resorts, fishing rights, and even the right to travel freely between nations, is in a state of great weakness. And a few days later… Takeshi and Haru are still lazing around, and Suzuka is taking care of them, when Dorami comes to invite them for a sea vacation. Although they feel some kind of suspicion, they can’t resist the temptation of the sea. What awaits Haru and her friends when they stand in the sea, which has now become a magical land ruled by the sea dragon tribe? (For now, we’ll have a barbecue and fireworks.) For those who liked prequel
3. HajiLove -Making * Lovers- ハジラブ -Making＊Lovers-  Smee 1 "Dating someone that's not your soul mate is a waste of time. The only kind relationship I'm interested in is one that's sure to have a happy ending. If you're going to fall in love, fall in love once. Find your ideal partner, a person that you love so much that it feels like you're burning up inside." My beliefs about love were abnormal, clearly. My classmates certainly seemed willing to hookup with anything that walked, and they appeared happy enough. But I realized something in my 2nd year of high school. My soul mate wasn't going to just fall out of the sky into my lap. I wanted to experience a real, flesh and blood love, not some made up fairly tale version of it that only existed in my head. -The childhood friend that wants to spend her life at your side- -The classmate that dreams of meeting her knight in shining armor- -The underclassman that wants to become an expert at romance- -The upperclassman that longs to bring happiness to the family she holds dear- My meeting these girls was nothing but a series of coincidences. But if what happens next is up to me, then maybe I can decide it starts right here, right now. I won't know if I'm making the right moves or not until this is all over. All I know is that the only one that can turn a chance encounter into true love is me. ---- The heroine and protagonist suddenly start dating, and as they spend time together, they fall in love for real. This work inherits the concept and world view of its predecessor, "Making*Lovers". It is a student version with all the heroines attending a school, with the concept of the shape of love that develops after a relationship is formed and the element of "shyness" is strengthened. There are English reviews
4. Lilium Wedding Plan リリウム・ウェディングプラン  Barista Lab Goddess promised marriage when she was young. Main character returns to grandparents' house for a short time. There he is met by the goddess Lilium who calls herself his wife. Vanilla nukige
5. Ryuusei World Actor: Badge & Dagger 流星ワールドアクター Badge & Dagger  Heliodor 1 2 3 The Seventh Republic—the city despised by the sun. Sunlight hasn't reached here since the last great war, and the shadows teem with vicious criminals. With evil threatening on every side, the National Police Agency is a stronghold of justice. Detective Ruka Hiryu belongs to the 13th Division, nicknamed the Sideliners, and treated like shit by the rest of the force. With no major incidents to keep him distracted, Ruka has been investigating the sealed Cult Massacre case in secret. Things change when the 13th picks up two new members. The agency is shaken with unreliable rumors about the semi-mythical Shining Union, and as suspicions and conjecture fly like bullets, will Ruka, the 13th, and the NPA be unscathed? There are English reviews
6. IdolDays 愛怒流でいず  iMel Inc. 1 A young man working at an Akihabara-based agency that manages underground idol groups has been ordered to discover new idols by his boss. Now, he's at the end of his rope. The protagonist is at a loss, finding that girls with the talent to become the kind of idol he's picturing are few and far between. He's sitting defeated on a park bench when he comes across a girl singing to herself while feeding some cats. The girl's song is delicate, but her voice shakes him to the core. His heart stolen in an instant, the protagonist turns to the girl and tries to scout her to become an idol. However, the girl flatly refuses him, saying the idea is stupid, only to then disappear. The next day, the protagonist gets called into the office, where he learns that the daughter of their sponsor has been hired as a member of staff and gets assigned to be her training supervisor. The girl who appears before the bewildered young man is the same one who turned down his scouting offer the day before. The girl's name is Tsubaki Akanesaki. Though she's had several jobs, she got fired from all of them for getting into fights. What does fate have in store for a young man who's been assigned to train a girl whose a total delinquent?! Game is released in English and has English reviews
Madohi Shiroki no Kamikakushi is the only decent game I see in May.
1. Osananajimi no Iru Kurashi 幼馴染のいる暮らし  Azarashi Soft In spring main character decides to confess to the childhood friend girl he likes. The feeling is mutual. Girl suggests to kiss and start dating right away like a real pair. Vanilla nukige
2. Amairo Chocolata 2 あまいろショコラータ２  Cabbage Soft 1 Yunagicho, a town lined with Western-style homes. The previous autumn was when Yuzuki came to this town and met the animal eared girls and started working with them at Cafe Setaria. The day after Christmas, he meets a lost girl looking for a traditional sweets shop. He finds the shop, which is run by her sister and that’s when he realized that they sported magnificent rabbit ears! Suddenly, Yuzuki finds himself working at both the cake shop, Sweet Tail and the newly opened sweet shop, Mochizuki and his days just keep getting busier. But he continues to do his best in the fun and lively days he spends with these animal eared girls. There is an English review
3. Happy Live, Show Up! ハッピーライヴ ショウアップ！  Favorite 1 The long, harsh Russian winter had ended, and Spring was in the air. On one particular day, Laikask Academy second-year Akito Yukihara was walking down the street when he stumbled upon a crying lost child. He decided to help the child find her parents, and was joined by Sofia Tulina, who happened to be present at the scene. Also, to get the child to stop crying, he put on a small magic show for her. After reuniting the child with her parents, Sofia turned to Akito and said: "Would you teach me how to use magic?! I want to be like you!" He agreed to teach her, a fellow Laikask Academy student, until they could find a proper teacher. Then, while the two of them were practicing magic in a local park, they ran into a girl named Roo Mao, who was doing a street performance. "Let's put on a show together!" she said. In this country, street performances were called "shows." At Roo's suggestion, the two joined her and all three of them entered the upcoming tournament for performers. Will they be able to accrue enough members to form their troupe by the day of the tournament? And will Sofia be able to learn magic? "Happy Live, Show Up!" This is a tale of these friends and their quest to shine brighter than the sun. There are English reviews
4. Loopers  Key 1 Let's set out to find a real treasure. Tyler is a high school student who is obsessed with geohunting, a GPS-based treasure hunting game. One day during summer vacation, Tyler and his friends get drawn into a mysterious incident while out treasure-hunting. The real and imagined become interconnected. Thoughts are thrown into chaos. Tomorrow becomes today. Swallowed up by a time vortex, they are trapped in a never-ending time loop, repeating "today" again and again. Then they meet other "loopers." Simon, the leader, and the mysterious girl Mia. If they join forces, will they be able to break out from this eternal prison...? There are English reviews
5. Madohi Shiroki no Kamikakushi まどひ白きの神隠し  Lump of Sugar 1 2 One day during winter. It all started with a flickering mirror inside a certain house. From that flickering mirror came out Roka, a girl with fox ears. The protagonist, Takuto, and his younger sister, Shiina, threw themselves in to the mirror following Roka, and wandered into "the other side." In there was a world similar but still different to the human world. Spirits, demons and all other sorts of non-human beings, a world of gods. "Welcome to the hidden world of the gods" Mikoto, the otherworldly girl with rabbit ears. Chiyo, the tsukumogami running a teahouse. Roka and her mom, the nine-tailed foxes. Shiina, who got spirited away together with her brother. Takuto will work together with these girls to find a way back home, but... Through these intereactions, he will learn the true nature of gods, and about secrets between siblings. Humans and gods, 2 worlds, 4 girls. He stands in the snowy land of the gods, and wonders- "Where do you belong?" There are English reviews
6. Parallel Akiba Gakuen ぱられるAKIBA学園  Panache Our protagonist is an otaku and game creator specializing in support, who is suddenly summoned to another world. There he finds a fantasy world of swords and magic. With the help of the hero and her party he somehow manages to defeat the demon lord. However, the goddess who summoned him tells him that she isn't able to return him to his own world. As an apology and a reward, she summons his house, which is filled with otaku goods (she also succeeds in summoning all of the packages that were delivered while he was away). He spends everyday having watch parties and discussions. The heroines' reactions are so favorable that he comes up with the idea to create a school that can educate people to become creators, and bring Akiba culture to this world. Will the protagonist be able to realize this ambitious dream together with the heroines, who have become thoroughly steeped in otaku culture thanks to his tireless teachings? Harem moege
7. Tantei Bokumetsu 探偵撲滅  Nippon Ichi Software “Yatsuzakikou” is a serial killer who has killed more than 100 people and thrown the country into chaos. To put an end to his murder spree, the finest members of the “Detective Alliance,” an organization made up of only the top detectives, launch a joint investigation. Around the same time, an ordinary boys’ high school student named Wato Houjou, who longs to become a detective, arrives at a remote island where the Detective Alliance is headquartered under the guidance of a mysterious man named “The Sage Detective.” On the island, Wato could not hide his excitement at meeting the Detective Alliance he so admired. However, when the detectives suspected him to be Yatsuzakikou, he was at a loss for words. Yatsuzakikou had already infiltrated the island, and many detectives have been murdered. To clear his name, Wato and the Detective Alliance leader, the “Ideal Detective,” launch an investigation. 14 detectives remain alive. And Yatsuzakikou is among them. Gameplay heavy console exclusive
8. World's End Club  IzanagiGames 1 2 In an elementary school in Tokyo, there's a group called the "Go-Getters Club," made up from oddball kids from all over Japan. Reycho and the other members are somehow different than the other kids around them. Then, one day, during the summer... While on the bus for their class trip, they get into an accident. When they wake up, they're in a theme park under the sea. Reycho and the others are trapped inside this strange, long-abandoned place. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a mysterious clown appears and orders them to play a "Fate Game"! Before any of them can figure out what's happening, they're fighting for their very lives. Will they be able to survive and make it out of this weird place? The kids are all lost and confused... But then, extraordinary powers begin to awaken within them. While at the same time... Abnormal events are occurring all over the Earth. Game is released in English and has English reviews
Umi to Yuki no Cyan Blue is the winner by default.
1. Yubisaki Connection ゆびさきコネクション  Hooksoft 1 Nurture your love through a messaging app-- This is a work in which the heroine and the deepening of your relationship are enjoyed with the help of a messaging app. Get the contact information of the girl you are interested in, Have conversations through the app and get to know each other, Make date arrangements... Enjoy a thrilling game of love that fully utilizes the unique elements of messaging apps with the same romance that you know and love from previous HOOKSOFT titles. We placed a strong emphasis on capturing the thrill that only a messaging app can give you during the course of a relationship! Talk late into the night, just the two of you... Unexpectedly receive a message asking for advice, "I'm in the bath..." Have moments when you can get a glimpse into her life, And times when she doesn't reply for a long time... A game of love between two people using a messaging app. Enjoy a romance with the heroine that feels more "real" than ever before! Moege
2. Haishin 廃深  qureate 1 2 3 4 5 Online streamers Ikoma Mio, Sakurai Nana, and Shiraishi Azusa travel to the locally famous haunted resort, the Hotel Izanami, at Nana's request to shoot a video there. It would be a film shoot at an average haunted location with no particular legend attached. To finish shooting without a hitch and get an end result that was vaguely horror-esque...was all they wanted. During filming, Mio gets separated from the group, and suddenly gets attacked by a mascot costume that has come to life. From that point on, the trapped girls are at the mercy of numerous horrors throughout the hotel. Why is a mascot trying to harm them, and why have they been shut in to the hotel with no escape? Can the three girls escape from the hotel with their lives? A livestream set in an abandoned hotel begins... Game is released in English and has English reviews
3. Kanda Alice mo Suiri Suru. 神田アリスも推理スル。 El Dia Kanda Alice was worried about her first year at Miyukinomori Girls' High School. Her best friend Hodaka Akira stopped attending their archery club for a while due to an incident. She is said to have wrecked the archery club's championship cup, but Alice didn't believe her best friend could do such a thing. Despite of Alice’s worries, her best friend decided to leave the archery club... "There is an amazing fortune-teller in this school!" Alice heard from her classmates. Alice told her best friend about the rumored fortune-teller in the tea ceremony club, located in one of the club buildings in the back of the schoolgrounds. When Alice and her best friend headed to the tea ceremony club after school, they were greeted by an unbelievably beautiful, black-haired girl—so beautiful that you'd question whether she really exists. Her name: Sawaragi Houju. Houju asks, "What don't you want taken away from you?" Their encounter in the twilight restarts a heart that had come to a halt. Girls Love
4. Umi to Yuki no Cyan Blue 海と雪のシアンブルー  CUBE 1 At the end of autumn, I got a younger sister. She is someone who has never seen the ocean. I didn't know what to say, so I took my sister to the beach. And so our daily lives began. The protagonist Aono Shion lives in the countryside where the city is snowy. He will soon leave the school which he used to attend. ―― "Graduation" After graduation, he will move to Tokyo for higher education. The younger sister who will no longer lives with him―Aono Nana, The classmates who will no longer be with him―Sumiki Kotoha, Hagino Yume, and Chigira Shuuto, The underclassman who will no longer with him―Nabatake Inaba, and The homeroom teacher who will no longer with him―Matsuki Ira. Farewells are bound to come, be it to shallow, or to deep relationships. As he prepares to graduate and move to Tokyo, Shion takes his goodbyes to the place he grew up at and everyone he grew up with. While he's at it, he also recalled the bonds he had forged, the feelings he realized for the first time, and the signs he was finally able to notice. He spends his remaining days with the feeling of loneliness on leaving his hometown, mixed with the feeling of excitement of new world he's about to go, eventually, the day comes. This is the story about Shion and his friends about what "graduation" means. There are English reviews
BLOCKED 1. 9 -Nine- Shinshou 9-nine- 新章  Palette 1 This is a standalone version of the "New Episode" chapter added in 9-nine- Complete Edition (r74265). The new episode ties up the loose ends from the previous 4 chapters, and contains after stories for each heroine (the scenario part totals about 230kb). It contains 10 CGs. Fandisc
Genpei Ryouran Emaki -Gikei- and Waga Himegimi ni Eikan o are both good games, yet the first one has too many downsides this time.
1. Go-toubun no Hanayome ∬ ~Natsu no Omoide mo Go-toubun~ 五等分の花嫁∬ ～夏の思い出も五等分～  MAGES. GAME In the game, the Nakano quintuplets, protagonist Uesugi Fuutarou, and Fuutarou's younger sister Raiha went to the Nakano's private island during the summer break only for three days and two nights. But due a heavy storm, the group is unable to going back and has to spend 2 weeks in the island. Anime Spin-Off SIM
2. Genpei Ryouran Emaki -Gikei- 源平繚乱絵巻 -GIKEI-  inre 1 2 3 The latest historical adaptation from Inre, focusing on the late Heian period. Protagonist Kanou Yoshitsune is the son of Kanou shrine keeper's family. He is going to a school with other two. One is his sister Roko, and the other is childhood friend Shizuka. They go to Kyoto with school trip, but Roko goes missing in Kuramadera. Yoshitsune and Shizuka goes to Kuramadera to find her, but they loses consciousness in the main hall. When they woke up, they were still in Kuramadera but something was different. They were in Heian period, which is about 850 years ago. There are English reviews
3. Isekai Sakaba no Sextet ~Vol.3 Postlude Days~ 異世界酒場のセクステット ～Vol.3 Postlude Days～  iMel Inc. 1 2 Much time has passed since our hero, the chef at an Akihabara maid cafe, got transported to another world. One day, a lone girl storms into the tavern, crying, "I'm here to inspect hostile activities!" The girl in question is Anzu, the top-ranking maid from the maid cafe our hero used to work for in his home world. It is revealed that Anzu arrived to the other world after our hero, and has been working for the Stray Sheep's rival tavern. Following her unexpected arrival, Anzu and Lupine talk things out, which for some reason leads to Anzu starting work at the Stray Sheep?! In the midst of this chaos surrounding our protagonist, Plumeria joins the fight for our hero's affections, escalating the girls' battle to win his heart even further! Our hero's daily life in a fantasy world at the mercy of six otherwordly beauties will forever be changed when a certain hero's vassal pays the tavern a visit... Game is released in English and has English reviews
4. Island Diary  Watakubi 1 2 3 On an isolated island, a distant tropical wonder serves as home to the bear eared girl Momo. Despite the beautiful scenery in this seemingly idyllic paradise, she still experiences a sense of loneliness, as her only friends on this island are the cat eared Kuro and the rabbit eared Moka. However, they have slowly been drifting apart from one another due to the existence of a certain diary. But one day, a young man washes ashore, unable to recall any detail of his past beyond his name thanks to a few of his belongings being with him. Momo discovers Ryou in his daze as he wakes up on the beach unable to grasp how he ended up in this strange little paradise, and with her help begins to shape together what is now to become his new life. With the positive energy of Momo and the help of Ryou, the three girls and the lost young man find themselves building a new day on the solitary island together full of excitement and titillation. Game is released in English and has English reviews
5. Yukiiro Sign ユキイロサイン  Wonder Fool 1 A story about the coming days in the winter. The city of Minami-Ose is one of the places where it snows the most every winter in Japan and has one of the lowest population densities in Japan. With the first snowfall in the last few decades, I have noticed that something is going to change. But I’m not sure if I’m really capable of preparing for such a change. Winter is only about two months away. Munefuyu Hazome’s spends his daily life with his friends. There's his childhood friend, Nakoso Miku, who is quite serious, quiet and a bit timid, but has a good heart. There's also the foreign student from Russia, Svetlana Gurchenko or nicknamed (“Sve”), who is shy and but also quite assertive. Then there's Takahagi Kako, his long forgotten childhood friend who moved away long ago and transferred back recently. And finally there's his closest and most understanding childhood friend, Usuki Hironaka. This is the story of the wonders of everyday life in the winter. This is the story of a time that is not long, and not light. This is a winter for the future and the past. There are English reviews
6. Waga Himegimi ni Eikan o 我が姫君に栄冠を  Minato Soft 1 2 3 4 The protagonist, Shaon who grew up in a remote area, taught a technique called Tenken by his teacher. The teacher hopes that Shaon will pass on his abilities to his descendants. When he is old enough, he needs to left his home to find a bride. How you live your life, who will you marry? It all depends on your choice. There are English reviews
7. Jack Jeanne ジャックジャンヌ  Broccoli The game's story centers around protagonist Kisa Tachibana, a girl who had given up a career in theater, but receives an invitation to attend the Univers Drama School, an elite drama school for male actors, where students play female roles (referred to as "Jeanne" roles) in addition to male roles ("Jack" roles). However, to maintain her enrollment, she must land a starring role in the school's play at the end of the year, and also hide that she is a girl. Console trap SIM
Two releases... just wow. And one is a gameplay title, so guess who wins - Meikei no Lupercalia , which is also a masterpiece.
1. Senkou no Clarias 閃鋼のクラリアス  Team Baldrhead 1 2 While on a field trip to London, Nagai Towa gets lost in the city at night. After he finally makes it to the train station, he finds a mysterious egg. "What's with this egg? It's really pretty..." And then right before his eyes, the egg shatters into pieces. His consciousness fades away... When he comes to his senses, he finds himself standing in an unfamiliar place. It has the appearance of London, but it's a completely different world. ----Royal Capital Salem There, he meets a girl named Shelly Linestad who is searching for her father who has been accused of murdering the king. For the sake of returning to his original world and helping the girl who helped him... He continues pressing on while wearing the Dragon Armor "Clarias", and at the same time gets ever closer to the truth hidden within this new world. Beat 'em UP
2. Meikei no Lupercalia 冥契のルペルカリア  Uguisu Kagura 1 2 3 "There is only one method to equal gods. It's to become cruel like gods." Salvador Dali A prodigious young actress passed away. At the end of the magnificent play, the highly esteemed girl found a kernel of truth. Years pass and spring arrives. In a freshman welcoming party, a certain program will catch the protagonist Sewa Tamaki's eye. "Welcome to the Lampyris Troupe!" A guerilla public performance that would be held by a student theatre group. The protagonist, once debuted as a child prodigy but now left the path of the theatre arts, indulged in nostalgic memories. "Let's peek in for a bit" An irrational story born out of curiosity. Once the curtain for the tale unfolds, it probably won't stop until the very end. An airhead girl who loves to act, Kakehashi Kohaku. Theatre arts' poster child, Nionomiya Meguri. A net idol currently rising in popularity, Amatsuka Nanana. The girl working behind-the-scenes who gave up acting, Hakadori Rize. "Let's make it the best play!" They would perform a public play based on Norse mythology entitled "Philia". While bathed under the dazzling spotlight, they who dance the tale are beautiful. The white hair with red eyes leads the way. To a convenient conclusion for you. There are English reviews
BLOCKED 1. D.C.4 ~Da Capo 4~ Fortunate Departures D.C.4 ～ダ・カーポ4～ フォーチュネイトデパーチャーズ  Circus A direct sequel to DC4 that tells after stories with the heroines. The player will once again assume the role of Ichito Tokisaka, a student at Kagami Academy who will enjoy the Kagasai autumn festival with the girlfriend he fell in love with last Spring. The available heroines in this visual novel are Arisu Sagisawa, Nino Tokisaka (Ichito’s stepsister), Sorane Oumi, Hiyori Shirakawa, Shiina Hojo, Miu Mishima, and Chiyoko Hinohara. Fandisc