Ever 17 (SOLVED)

I finished Ever 17 torrent this morning, and when I started "ever17PC_us.exe" it shows some company titles and then a window pops out

"unable to find movie file."

Anybody having the same problem?

My system

Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

Haven't tried redownload yet, but I re-checked the torrent and it doesn't show any missing pieces

Source: Fuwanovel

System Locale is set to Japanese

I don't have any problem with other VNs from Fuwanovel though(Littlebusters, Fate/stay night, Sharin no Kuni, Steins:gate)

Local japanese shouldn't do anything to non-japanese programs.

I tried out and it works fine for me, I get the intro clip.

Do you have a folder 'movie' inside the Ever17 folder with files such as:

-ever17.e17

-mov01a.e17

-mov02a.e17

...etc?

The full list of movie files:

end_sa00.e17 ca 91MB

end_so00.e17 ca 91MB

end_tu00.e17 ca 91MB

end_yu00.e17 ca 91MB

ever17.e17 ca 91.MB

MOV_END.e17 ca 142MB

mov01a.e17 ca 3.5MB

mov02a.e17 ca 3.7MB

sdr640.e17 ca 1MB

Check if the files have the correct size too. And if you still have the torrent running in your client do a Force Recheck on the files, to see if you downloaded all parts of them correctly.

Also: How nested is your folder? As in how many subfolders in subfolders do you have, like C:\bla\bla\bla\etc and how LONG is that foldersystem. There is a limit how nested your folders can be, so that if your Ever17 folder is too much into the foldertree the system cannot just find the movie folder.

Umm

I don't suppose it's a permission problem because I already logged in as Administrator

And I already installed CCCP since January..

EDIT : Actually I have removed CCCP and switched to K-lite. But now I tried reinstalling it and I still get the unable to find movie file error.

dang.

i wonder why

i found this on animesuki:

"If so, go to the movie folder of where you installed Ever17, move the MOV_END.e17 file to another folder then make a copy of one of the e17 movie files in the movie folder and name it MOV_END.e17. There seems to be a problem with the original MOV_END.e17 for some people, including me."

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=1513114

I downloaded and tested the game and works right out of the bag.

So I tried to replicate the problem:

1. Deleted sdr640.e17 (which seems to be the first movie that plays) - Got the error, well can't access a file that isn't there.
  2. Changed to wrong permissions - Got the error, no permisson = no access to file.
  3. Tried putting the game behind way too long file path - Completely different error, game didn't run at all.
  4. Used a corrupt file - Didn't get the error but instead got a blank screen that I could skip over to the next movie or main menu.

So if what Aaeru suggested won't work and you are ABSOLUTELY sure that it's not the case of #1 or #2 (note that even admins may not have access to some files) then I'm out of guesses what else can deny you access to the file.

Finally I moved my Ever17 folder, and Voila it works like a charm.

I didnt thought that this method would work ( because it sounds a bit illogical )

It is weird though, only Ever17 have this kind of issue

Little busters, Steins;gate, and Sharin no Kuni himawari no shoujo work flawlessly in the original folder where I keep my VNs at.

Tried putting the game behind way too long file path - Completely different error, game didn't run at all.

Also: How nested is your folder? As in how many subfolders in subfolders do you have, like C:\bla\bla\bla\etc and how LONG is that foldersystem. There is a limit how nested your folders can be, so that if your Ever17 folder is too much into the foldertree the system cannot just find the movie folder.

Thanks Luch and ruri!