Your opinions on Clannad? (Spoilers)

Matieu

Hey there -

I've been reading through most of the routes on Clannad, actually I only have Nagisa's to go and then I can start on the after story. I thought that I no longer enjoyed slice of life stories too much, but this VN has made me rethink that, still, some parts of the routes put me off and I was curious about your thoughts.

On Tomoyo's route

I really enjoyed the entire route, but then I didn't like the ending. I didn't like them taking 8 months off dating and then coming back to be happy together again. It didn't feel realistic to me. I'm curious what you guys thought about that.

On Fuuko's route

I really loved Fuuko as a character. Her ending brought me fairly close to tears, and I'm the kind who almost never cries. But the whole "ghost" aspect put me off, and I thought the route could've been better without it.

Whoa there, you're questioning what makes Clannad CLANNAD, y'know?

Tomoyo is my main VN girl. I know without a doubt what occurred in her route was completely necessary. I can go into more detail on why but I don't think its needed. I have had experiences in my life with women similar to that, so its not as farfetched as you may think.

I cant even begin to put into words how much I disagree with these points BUT I am still glad that you enjoy Clannad enough to start a discussion about it

OK, a Clannad discussion thread, finally.

First, I need to emphasize my principle regarding this VN, which is, Tomoyo is the BEST heroine. Period. If you have objection, objection overruled.

I believe I've never had a deeper emotional attachment to a heroine in VN than toward Tomoyo. Just looking back on her route brings tears down my cheek...sniff,sniff... let alone the plot in the spin off story, Tomoyo After. If you’re still hesitating as whether to pick this spinoff up or not, please do not take this spin off lightly; it’s definitely unlike the conventional fan disc filled with no-brainer fan service. I repeat, DO NOT TAKE THIS SPIN OFF LIGHTLY.

On the other hand, I don't like the protagonist in Tomoyo route. To me he's a wimp, definitely not worth Tomoyo's affection, considering how much Tomoyo has sacrificed in order to maintain their relationship. This is even truer in Tomoyo After, you'll see. So in my opinion, I'd rather they just stay away from each other in the end.

As for Fuuko, I believe the surreal setting is what makes this route tick. You're left with a wistful sentiment, losing something precious that you no longer remember. The ending can never be that touching without this surreal setting.

Best Girl

In all seriousness though I loved clannad. I think it is a wonderful story and my favourite routes aside from afterstory are probably Yukine's and Misae's. It was always fun trying to get a high combo chain. However I don't know. even though I enjoyed the VN, I still prefer rewrite and Little Busters over clannad out of keys works.

I just finished Kyou's route and god damn does this one not hold back any punches. never before have i been so invested in a protagonist's plight, so much so that in-between the tears i had to fight back i found myself subconsciously trying to find a solution in the vain hope that Tomoya would pick up on it.