[Need Help] 428: In the Blocked City/Canaan VN Script Hacking

lolgc

Hi folks,

me and my team would like to translate the visual novel 428: In the Blocked City by Spike-Chunsoft.

It had been praised a lot by critics and could even get the famous perfectscore by famitsu.

The game also has a subplot written by Type-Moon, which had been released as an Anime called "Canaan". The anime contains many references to the plot of the visual novel.

The visual novel itself has been released on the WII, PS3, PSP, iOS & Android.

We decided to go to first for the PSP version and then backport the translation patch to the other platforms.

But in order to start the translation project, we need to get the text ectracted first.

That's the point where I'm stuck because of me lacking of hacking experiences.

The good point though is, that all platforms use the same engine, so once we figure out how to deal with the PSP version, we might have it easier to work with the PS3 or Wii version.

The bad point is, that the encryption is more difficult, than I had expected it. So this is the point, where you as a community come in:

I hope, that we'll be able to get through the encryption with combined forces :)

This is the information I could gather so far (Thanks to cryofrzd for validating some points):

• The game has two scriptfiles: the to.flo and the to.sns
  1. to.flo: Seems to have the function of a linker/header file. It says, where text inside the to.sns starts.
  2. to.sns: Main script file containing all the text
  • According to the Chinese Translation Team, the to.sns file has been xored with 0x10 as the key. Unfortunately neither cryofrzd nor me could validate that fact.
  • The to.sns uses UTF-16 Little Endian according to its Byte Order Mark

Unfortunately thats already all we've got.

If you would like to help us, you can have a look at the psp scripts, which can be found over here:

Every suggestion or idea, even if its very small, is appreciated, so please don't hesitate to post them in the comments :)

Thank you

lolgc & I-VNTP