My visual novels are having gobbledygook text files

I recently installed chaos head off the game disc and tried to read some of the game files and they all had garbled text. IDK what the issue is because I have JP fonts installed and I have no clue how to open it with locale emulator. I've looked online but I still haven't found a helpful answer for my issue. I also tried getting some desktop accessories to work for a visual novel and they have instructions that are all in garbled text. I understand its because my computer doesn't have the JP fonts and it uses UTF-8 but could anyone help me? The files I wanna read are .txt and there are some that are a .html file. 

Example of text: 

�@�������擾�\�� : �s�

A few questions: Is it the PC version?

If so, did you set you system locale and region format to Japan and Japanese format? (This is required for a lot of JVNs, and it can be done by using the search bar to look for the control panel and clicking on 'region')

If it is the console version, I can't help.

11 hours ago, Clephas said:

A few questions: Is it the PC version?

If so, did you set you system locale and region format to Japan and Japanese format? (This is required for a lot of JVNs, and it can be done by using the search bar to look for the control panel and clicking on 'region')

If it is the console version, I can't help.

I am using a Mac and Linux computer but I don't wanna change my locale because I don't know how it will mess up my computer. I figured out that I can view the files if I use a locale emulator on PC (I tested it on a library computer, not my own) but I don't know how to get a locale emulator for Mac. 

15 hours ago, TheSoaringDingo said:

I am using a Mac and Linux computer but I don't wanna change my locale because I don't know how it will mess up my computer. I figured out that I can view the files if I use a locale emulator on PC (I tested it on a library computer, not my own) but I don't know how to get a locale emulator for Mac. 

Sorry, but playing non-localized JVNs, especially old ones, pretty much requires the locale change.  I'm surprised it even starts on a Mac, given the lack of emphasis on compatibility towards Mac computers in the JVN industry.  

My suggestion is to use a sandbox app and put Japanese Windows or English Windows on it, then install the game there.  Sorry to say that that is the only workaround I can think of at the moment.  

7 hours ago, Clephas said:

Sorry, but playing non-localized JVNs, especially old ones, pretty much requires the locale change.  I'm surprised it even starts on a Mac, given the lack of emphasis on compatibility towards Mac computers in the JVN industry.  

My suggestion is to use a sandbox app and put Japanese Windows or English Windows on it, then install the game there.  Sorry to say that that is the only workaround I can think of at the moment.  

Its ok that you can't help. I use WINE to run visual novels on my Mac so I might be able to figure out a locale change on there. I'll try to use a sandbox app or whatever it is. I haven't had experience dealing with them in the past so I'll have to look into how to get it to run.