TT I need help extracting .xp3 files!

(before i write anything, let me just say i have never translated a game!)

I may have this problem because I barely know about translator++ (the program im using to translate a game) and extracting files using its file extractor,, but when i select an .exe file of the game I want to translate an error message pops up that says ''Expected Data folder is not found. Please extract all the xp3 archives first before working with Translator++.'' (even though when i open up the game by itself it runs it like usual...)

(+I have tried using the built in extractor but it has been ''working'' before and as im writing this post (...as in a long time) and i have a suspicion its because im using the file i tried to select)

so if anyone has any recommendations for easy-to-use programs to extract .xp3 files, i'd be really grateful! 🙇

Edited by parfait

8 hours ago, Entai384 said:

Use Garbro-mod. The mainline version should also work, but the mod has been updated more recently.

Garbro can also repackage the scripts back to .xp3 once the files have been translated. Translator++ -> Export to folder.

If you are going to be translating kirikiri stuff, be sure to read up on the game engine here and patching guide.

thank you so much!

17 hours ago, Entai384 said:

Use Garbro-mod. The mainline version should also work, but the mod has been updated more recently.

Garbro can also repackage the scripts back to .xp3 once the files have been translated. Translator++ -> Export to folder.

If you are going to be translating kirikiri stuff, be sure to read up on the game engine here and patching guide.

i decided to try and use GARbro and look for the .xp3 files but I checked everywhere and couldnt find any .xp3 files so I have no idea why it was giving me such an error message... :huh:

If you are dealing with .xp3 files, then you are usually dealing with the kirikiri game engine because the kirikiri game engine typically uses .xp3 files as archives for its game files.

However, Itigokuruiza uses an archive format called 'asar' to archive the game files, not .xp3. Garbro, including the fork, has not been updated to support 'asar' yet, so use another archiving program.

@electron/asar an actively maintained nodejs project that can deal with 'asar' archives.

1) Install NodeJS (v10+ LTS) from: https://nodejs.org/en/download/
Guide: https://docs.npmjs.com/downloading-and-installing-node-js-and-npm

• Open an administrative command prompt
  • node --version   #double check to make sure node is actually installed
  • npm --version    #double check node package manager is installed
  • npm install -g @electron/asar
  • asar --help #double check to make sure it actually installed

If the above does not work, try the depreciated version: npm install -g asar, but this should not be necessary.

The syntax is:

asar extract <archive> <destFolder>

The destination folder will be created after running the command.

So for Itigokuruiza, you would type something like...

asar extract "itigokuruiza_ver1.01\resources\app.asar" "itigokuruiza_ver1.01\resources\app"

Important: Adjust your paths appropriately.

That would dump all the assets for the game under a folder called "app" in the resources folder.

• Then rename "resources\app.asar" to "resources\app.asar.backup" for safe keeping.
  • Rename the FOLDER "resources\app" to "resources\app.asar" so that it has a .asar extension (even though it is a folder).
  • Launch the game.

It should still work and load normally using the assets from resources\app.asar\* provided there are no game breaking changes.

From there, translator++ should understand the tyrano script, or you can just translate stuff yourself manually. Most of the dialogue is in "resources\app.asar\data\scenario\". Tip: Create regular backups.

1 hour ago, Entai384 said:

If you are dealing with .xp3 files, then you are usually dealing with the kirikiri game engine because the kirikiri game engine typically uses .xp3 files as archives for its game files.

However, Itigokuruiza uses an archive format called 'asar' to archive the game files, not .xp3. Garbro, including the fork, has not been updated to support 'asar' yet, so use another archiving program.

@electron/asar an actively maintained nodejs project that can deal with 'asar' archives.

If the above does not work, try the depreciated version: npm install -g asar, but this should not be necessary.

The syntax is:

asar extract "itigokuruiza_ver1.01\resources\app.asar" "itigokuruiza_ver1.01\resources\app"

That would dump all the assets for the game under a folder called "app" in the resources folder.

• Then rename "resources\app.asar" to "resources\app.asar.backup" for safe keeping.
  • Rename the FOLDER "resources\app" to "resources\app.asar" so that it has a .asar extension (even though it is a folder).
  • Launch the game.

It should still work and load normally using the assets from resources\app.asar\* provided there are no game breaking changes.

From there, translator++ should understand the tyrano script, or you can just translate stuff yourself manually. Most of the dialogue is in "resources\app.asar\data\scenario\". Tip: Create regular backups.

thank you! :Chocola:

4 hours ago, Entai384 said:

The syntax is:

• Launch the game.

I downloaded NodeJS just fine, but for some reason after installing electron@asar and trying to do ''asar --help'' it immediately closes (https://streamable.com/ncwboo) even though Node is able to show up just fine, can it be an issue with my laptop or something else? I tried restarting my laptop several times, but it didnt fix anything