[Tool] Light.vnTools - Game Resources Unpacker & Repacker for Light.vn based game

kiraio

I didn't think it's the right board to post this. So, guide me Senpai!

Hi, guys! I want to share you a tool to unpack and repack VN game resources made with Light.vn game engine called Light.vnTools.

This tool is a C# port of https://github.com/morkt/GARbro/issues/440#issuecomment-1091453877. The tool usages is on the project README.

As far as I see, there's not much VN game made with this engine. But, this game engine is a good choice to develop a modern VN game aside from it's performance.

Edited by kiraio
Typo

On 8/17/2023 at 11:03 PM, Zakamutt said:

Doesn't find the right encryption key for this https://www.freem.ne.jp/win/game/17154 (files are gibberish)

Hi, it uses the same encryption key as Light.vnTools. In this case, it isn't the contents of the `vndat` file that are encrypted with xor cipher, but the `vndat` file itself that are password protected.

Try to rename `vndat` file as `zip` and extract it. It will prompt you the password. Use this key: d6c5fKI3GgBWpZF3Tz6ia3kF0

Anyway, thanks for reporting. I'll update the tool soon :)

Edited by kiraio
Clarify who's being encrypted.

41 minutes ago, kiraio said:

Light.vnTools are now supporting Soul Engine[1]!

Commit: ea9a31d4077a3f4e628b8bfa6b7a7c08c9642fb0

[1] Is this the beta version of Light.vn? I can't read JP 😋

It's a "narrative game creation engine" that "inherits light.vn's functions" but as far as I can tell,  the github page says that "there is no download because the beta version is still under construction" and the beta is expected to be out "in 2017". Well, it's 2023 and the text isn't updated, damn son. So basically you have the order wrong, light.vn came first and the soul engine... may not actually exist. The terms used to describe it by the creator get kind of near spiritual which is, uhh, I follow the guy on twitter and he seems into buddhist-y stuff so maybe that makes sense lol.

Anyway, I don't think this himawari (and also kodoku no yurikago, which is by the same developer and seemed to use the same zip password actually) used soul engine, they just call "light.vn" their engine. It's likely just a different version using a different encryption scheme. That said, it's possible the light.vn dev and the himawari dev were in contact and the himawari dev used an indev version of the engine with different features.

20 hours ago, Zakamutt said:

It's a "narrative game creation engine" that "inherits light.vn's functions" but as far as I can tell,  the github page says that "there is no download because the beta version is still under construction" and the beta is expected to be out "in 2017". Well, it's 2023 and the text isn't updated, damn son. So basically you have the order wrong, light.vn came first and the soul engine... may not actually exist. The terms used to describe it by the creator get kind of near spiritual which is, uhh, I follow the guy on twitter and he seems into buddhist-y stuff so maybe that makes sense lol.

Thanks for explaining. I did some google translating, but get confused with it's poetic like language.

20 hours ago, Zakamutt said:

Anyway, I don't think this himawari (and also kodoku no yurikago, which is by the same developer and seemed to use the same zip password actually) used soul engine, they just call "light.vn" their engine. It's likely just a different version using a different encryption scheme. That said, it's possible the light.vn dev and the himawari dev were in contact and the himawari dev used an indev version of the engine with different features.

Welp, I found it by coincidence 😂. I tried to extract it and the password input just popped up, so I just slap it with the current key and.... work! LOL